Where the magic lives! An August solo dining adventure! Final thoughts and cost analysis 11/12.

I managed to get a tiny amount of sunscreen in my eyes.

Oh no, ugh!! Been there and done that. I have contacts, so if it gets on them it also makes things so blurry. I'm sorry that's how lunch began!

I was at the part of my Disney trip where fruit and veggies were seriously lacking in my diet!

This is one of the most relatable things I've ever read. There's always the day when I feel like I'm going to die if I don't have something green!!

Sounds like a fun visit to Prime Time! I love it when the servers are in character. You had a good one!

Jumping in late . I went last year for my 50th too. But with my DH who is not anywhere near the Disney lover I am so wasn't the best trip I have ever had. So, I went solo this year ( a month early but the dates worked better) and besides cutting my trip short a day due to Irma - that trip was much more enjoyable.

Wow 4 parks in one day! I have done 3 but not 4 yet . On my to do list though.

Happy 50th birthday! Great trip so far. Waiting to hear about the bargain.
Thanks! I was 51 this year and my actual birthday is in June but I teach kindergarten so August works better for a trip. Plus it is a less expensive time to travel. Best Disney bargain coming up soon! :)
Your tea and cheese at 50's Prime Time look great. The menu has never appealed to me so I've never made a reservation, but I want to experience the 50's style and getting yelled at by the waitresses. I think I'd actually enjoy that cheese plate, I might consider going for just appetizers.
I felt the same way as you. Nothing on the full menu really wowed me but the appetizers worked out really well!

There's always the day when I feel like I'm going to die if I don't have something green!!
My thoughts exactly!!!!!
Jumping in late . I went last year for my 50th too. But with my DH who is not anywhere near the Disney lover I am so wasn't the best trip I have ever had. So, I went solo this year ( a month early but the dates worked better) and besides cutting my trip short a day due to Irma - that trip was much more enjoyable.

Wow 4 parks in one day! I have done 3 but not 4 yet . On my to do list though.
:welcome: Are you writing a report for your trip? I'd love to hear all about it! 4parks/1 day was so great, I highly recommend it. :)

Sorry about the sun screen in your eyes, that burns! Get it, lol. Glad you enjoyed your appetizers at 50's PT. Andi has such a boycott against Frozen I still haven't been to the Sing Along, I think I will just go myself!

Joining in! Solo trips are so much fun! You get to do what you want and eat where you want!

Your fish at Jiko looks amazing! That boursin fried cheese is also yum!

Such a great belated birthday trip!

Sorry about the sun screen in your eyes, that burns! Get it, lol. Glad you enjoyed your appetizers at 50's PT. Andi has such a boycott against Frozen I still haven't been to the Sing Along, I think I will just go myself!
Thanks, it was SO annoying! And I was really mad at myself for letting it happen as it had already happened to be at the cottage, ugh! You should totally go on your own! It is so cute and funny as anything! I think you would really enjoy it! :) I am going to try to make that fried cheese at home, it was so good!

Joining in! Solo trips are so much fun! You get to do what you want and eat where you want!

Your fish at Jiko looks amazing! That boursin fried cheese is also yum!

Such a great belated birthday trip!
:welcome:Thanks for joining in! I love my solo Disney time,,,,such a nice respite from the real world. The halibut at Jiko was sheer perfection....I can't wait to eat there again!

Halibut is an amazing fish when done correctly, and I'm not surprised that Jiko's version was superb. ::yes:: Might have to try it next time we go.

Halibut is an amazing fish when done correctly, and I'm not surprised that Jiko's version was superb. ::yes:: Might have to try it next time we go.
I 'm sure you would really enjoy it!

I'm trying to get caught up around here. Is it just me though or has the DIS been painfully slow these last couple of days? I just don't have the patience for it when you have to wait for pages to load...ugh. I hope it's the DIS though and not my internet lol

My plan was to go for two appetizers...... I started with the fried cheese with raspberry sauce, served with grapes, sliced apples and crackers. This was delicious; I think the cheese was Boursin, which is one of my faves.

That sounds really yummy. Also that's funny because I never would have thought to ask for a "to go" cup of anything from a TS restaurant, but what a great idea!!! You need all the liquids you can get on those hot August days in FL. Man it's hot. I get sweaty just thinking about it lol.

But I do love the atmosphere at 50's Prime Time. So much fun. Sorry about the sunscreen, that is pretty awful.

After an awesome day at Hollywood Studios I headed back to AKL to enjoy a little time poolside. By about 5:30 I was feeling ready for a bite to eat and decided to head down to Victoria Falls lounge. I went for the amazing Victoria Falls Mist (Van der Hum Tangerine Liqueur, Melon and Banana Liqueur, sweet and sour, Sprite). This was probably my favourite beverage of the trip and my only regret was not getting it again.
IMG_0962.JPG
To go along with this I chose the warm herbed goat cheese dip with assorted bread and crackers. This was AMAZING! Warm goat cheese layered with basil, sun dried tomatoes and olive tapenade served with an assortment of bread and crackers. This was a HUGE serving and at $9.00 was the ultimate Disney bargain, I managed to eat about 1/2 and I was stuffed. So, so delicious!
IMG_0963.JPG
I decided to head over to Disney Springs in hopes of checking out Polite Pig. I had the longest wait for a bus of my entire trip so I entertained myself by taking selfies and texting with one of my friends at home. Here I am trying to be patient as I wait for the bus......and wait some more.
IMG_0964.JPG
I had really hoped to eat at the Polite Pig but the lines were super long and I was not in the mood to wait. So after checking out the Dress Shoppe, doing a little bit of Pin Trading and visiting with my favourite sea monster I was ready to head back to AKL.
IMG_0966.JPG
When I got back to AKL I was ready for a little something to eat and a beverage. I headed down to the Mara as I thought I'd pick up a bottle of white wine to have in the room and went for the Curator white. I wanted to try the famous butternut squash soup as well and this was fabulous! I was kind of taken aback by how the small the serving was initially but it was so rich and flavourful you really didn't need any more. I enjoyed my late night snack on my balcony, enjoying the sound of the birds. A perfect end to the evening!
IMG_0967.JPG

Food totals for today:
Banana at the Mara ~ $1.80
Lunch at 50's Prime Time ~ $25.56
Cold brew coffee at Joffreys ~ $3.99
Goat cheese dip at Victoria Falls ~ $9.00 (can you believe it????)
Victoria Falls Mist at Victoria Falls Lounge ~ $10.25
Butternut Squash soup at the Mara ~ $4.25
Curator white wine ~ $14.95

Food total for today ~ $44.60
Alcohol total ~ $25.20
Savings vs using DDP ~ $69.35 - $44.60 = $24.75

I decided to head over to Disney Springs in hopes of checking out Polite Pig. I had the longest wait for a bus of my entire trip so I entertained myself by taking selfies and texting with one of my friends at home. Here I am trying to be patient as I wait for the bus......and wait some more.

When I got back to AKL I was ready for a little something to eat and a beverage. I headed down to the Mara as I thought I'd pick up a bottle of white wine to have in the room and went for the Curator white. I wanted to try the famous butternut squash soup as well and this was fabulous! I was kind of taken aback by how the small the serving was initially but it was so rich and flavourful you really didn't need any more. I enjoyed my late night snack on my balcony, enjoying the sound of the birds. A perfect end to the evening!
Nice shot and I think wine on a balcony is a great way to go at night!

I'm trying to get caught up around here. Is it just me though or has the DIS been painfully slow these last couple of days? I just don't have the patience for it when you have to wait for pages to load...ugh. I hope it's the DIS though and not my internet lol.
It's the DIS. Having same issues this past week.

That drink looks delicious! I'm sorry you weren't able to try the Polite Pig. I know the feeling of not wanting to wait in a really long line. That soup looks good, I feel like everything that comes out of the Mara is great.

Honestly, you didn't realy miss much by not being able to get in Polite Pig. Most people I know are very 'eh' on it, at least people that know good bbq. Your appetizer at Victoria Falls looks yum!

Nice shot and I think wine on a balcony is a great way to go at night!
Thanks! I always enjoy that too!

That drink looks delicious! I'm sorry you weren't able to try the Polite Pig. I know the feeling of not wanting to wait in a really long line. That soup looks good, I feel like everything that comes out of the Mara is great.
That drink was excellent as was the soup. I wasn't in a mood to wait that evening but will hopefully check it out another time. :)

Honestly, you didn't realy miss much by not being able to get in Polite Pig. Most people I know are very 'eh' on it, at least people that know good bbq. Your appetizer at Victoria Falls looks yum!
I'm not a BBQ expert by any means, especially being Canadian but am glad just the same for your reassurance. The appetizer at Victoria Falls was amazing! And a true Disney bargain at $9 for enough food for two people!

I woke up Friday morning super excited for my first ever trip to MNSSHP! I had other first ever plans as well though, my first ever breakfast at Boma!!

My reservation was at 9:10 and I was quickly seated at a nice two top close to the start of the buffet. The restaurant was not too busy and I asked for a water and coffee. My waiter was okay.....he didn't really spend a lot of time seeing if I needed anything. I had to ask for a chef to walk me through the buffet and he somehow managed to miss that I had anaphylatic tree nut allergies. The coffee was lukewarm and weak so I asked for a new carafe which was better. I think I had gotten used to how good the coffee is at the Mara over the last week. Shortly after, one of the chefs came out and walked me through the buffet. He was absolutely excellent and went through each option so I was sure of what I could safely pick.

My first round I went for the traditional breakfast items; starting at 12:00 I had the grilled asparagus and tomato, goat cheese and spinach scrambled eggs, fried plantains, potato barrels, bacon and buried under there somewhere is the turkey bobotie. My faves on this plate was the bobotie and fried plantain. The potato barrels were yummy as well as the asparagus. The eggs were my least favourite as I found them rather bland and the bacon was well, Disney bacon.
IMG_0968.JPG
Next up, it was time for Mickey waffles and some fruit. I decided to try the African fruit fool as well, which was delicious! The fruit was the standout star as it was perfectly sweet, ripe and fabulous! The Mickey waffle was not great, I don't think it was cooked properly as it was a bit gummy through the centre. Oh well, I had plenty to enjoy! :)
IMG_0969.JPG
Last but not least, it was time for my breakfast dessert! Some of the yummy Boma bread pudding with vanilla sauce and more of the amazing pineapple and strawberries!IMG_0970.JPG
Happy and full, I settled my bill and went off to enjoy a lovely day at AKL before heading out to MNSSHP!

In keeping with my theme of late, I am ridiculously behind :(

I was so looking forward to finally seeing the Frozen Sing Along this morning and it did not disappoint!
I've only seen this once; I wanted to see it last August but the boys put a stop to that lol. I'm debating guilting Steve into seeing it on our Nov. trip!

As I still wasn't feeling 100%, I decided to go with an unsweetened ice tea to drink. This was so refreshing!
Not sure if you've read my Cape May dinner update, but I did the exact same thing! The heat had gotten to me before our reservation so I chose unsweetened tea. I believe it was the first time I've EVER ordered unsweetened tea!! But if sounded perfect considering how I was feeling and it hit the spot.

I was at the part of my Disney trip where fruit and veggies were seriously lacking in my diet!
Um, I start my Disney trips like that and just go with it for the duration :laughing:

Victoria Falls Mis
This looks so good!!

Warm goat cheese layered with basil, sun dried tomatoes and olive tapenade served with an assortment of bread and crackers.
OMG so does this :cloud9: We went to Victoria Falls back in May before our Boma dinner reservation, so while we really enjoyed our drinks we didn't get anything to eat since we were about to have dinner. Next time I'll have to try this!

Some of the yummy Boma bread pudding with vanilla sauce
Ah, the best part of Boma breakfast!

Great choices at the lounge, the drink looks so good. I agree with the coffee at the Mara, way better then Captain Cook's, the Boma sounds like it had some good and some meh! I love the bread pudding with the vanilla sauce, yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter