Where to get gas?

coachk34

Mouseketeer
I need to find a easy place to get in and out of with a 36 foot motor home towing a 10 foot golf cart trailer. Preferably somewhere within 50 miles of Fort Wilderness. We will be coming I75 south to the florida turnpike, and then taking FL-429 south to Exit 19, then winter garden vineland rd to Vista Dr.

Any suggestions on a good place to get gas along this path? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed, I will be sure to check that out. Is that the one right next to the MK parking lot and the race track?

Anyone know how the Okahumpka Travel Plaze in Wildwood, FL is for getting in and out of with a large MH.

I can't give you specifics, I just kept an eye open for those gas stations that provide Diesel fuel. They tend to be able to handle the larger vehicles.

I had an F250 about 25' long towing an almost 37' camper. There were plenty of locations to get fuel. There were also plenty I would avoid. Just keep your eyes open. Watch out though when you are down there. There are some gas stations that charge a LOT more than others. (sometimes more then double the going rate)

Two things, coach.

First gas is cheapest between Ocala and the Turnpike turnoff along I75. There are also Ocala exits with cheap gas. Gas on the turnpike is expensive. Ocala to Gainesville is also high. Lake City is a downright rip-off. To Cousin Ed's point, though, the gas on Property at the Pilot stations (formerly Hess) are about 5 cents higher a gallon which I don't think is too bad for a Disney price hike. They have 3 stations on property - across from DHS, adjacent to Disney Springs, and the aforementioned Auto Center near the MK toll booth.

The website (and app) gasbuddy.com is a good resource: http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Type in Ocala and use the map view to scan around. Lowest in that area today I saw was about 1.96 and the Disney stations were 2.02. Every exit has a big gas station like a Pilot, Racetrac, etc. (no Flying J tho) with high clearance and lots of pumps. How busy they are depends on time of year and time of day. The gas cost calculator is a handy tool on that website also.

On the idea to get off Hwy 429 at exit 19 to get to the Fort, don't do it. Plain and simple - no. Even if Google Maps routes you that way.

I used to use that route 15 years ago. It was a lot of empty fields and 3 traffic lights. I went home that way this March 2016 from the Fort and there were tons of stop lights and traffic. I regretted doing it and won't again. You are much better off rolling unimpeded down Hwy 429 to exit 8 and follow the Western Way onto Disney property near Coronado springs. There is one toll booth on Hwy 429 that way. Take a left onto Buena Vista Drive and left again down onto World Drive and go through the MK toll booth to the Fort.

My two cents.

Bama Ed

I always top off the diesel at the Pilot or TA truckstop there in Wildwood right where the turnpike turns off of I75. I can make it to the Fort from Mississippi without refueling utilizing my auxiliary fuel tank, but this would not leave me enough fuel to get back to Wildwood.

We have a 35 foot motor-home and tow a 12 foot enclosed trailer with golf cart, bicycles etc.. We average 7.9 mpg in our motor-home and stop at the last exit in Georgia at the flying j. Easy in and out. From there we can make it to the fort and back, therefore not needing fuel in Florida. Bama Ed is correct. Go all the way to western way on 429. you will be glad you did.

On 75 just North of Ocala there is an exit at Co 325/ NW 77th street. There are two Pilot stations to the left and a Love's to the right. I always stop there because I get a small discount with a Pilot card. That being said I pull a 5'ver with a gas truck. So I can't speak about diesel pumps yet. But I do know that the Pilot stations around Ocala do not have the dedicated rv lanes there like some others do.

Two things, coach.

First gas is cheapest between Ocala and the Turnpike turnoff along I75. There are also Ocala exits with cheap gas. Gas on the turnpike is expensive. Ocala to Gainesville is also high. Lake City is a downright rip-off. To Cousin Ed's point, though, the gas on Property at the Pilot stations (formerly Hess) are about 5 cents higher a gallon which I don't think is too bad for a Disney price hike. They have 3 stations on property - across from DHS, adjacent to Disney Springs, and the aforementioned Auto Center near the MK toll booth.

The website (and app) gasbuddy.com is a good resource: http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Type in Ocala and use the map view to scan around. Lowest in that area today I saw was about 1.96 and the Disney stations were 2.02. Every exit has a big gas station like a Pilot, Racetrac, etc. (no Flying J tho) with high clearance and lots of pumps. How busy they are depends on time of year and time of day. The gas cost calculator is a handy tool on that website also.

On the idea to get off Hwy 429 at exit 19 to get to the Fort, don't do it. Plain and simple - no. Even if Google Maps routes you that way.

I used to use that route 15 years ago. It was a lot of empty fields and 3 traffic lights. I went home that way this March 2016 from the Fort and there were tons of stop lights and traffic. I regretted doing it and won't again. You are much better off rolling unimpeded down Hwy 429 to exit 8 and follow the Western Way onto Disney property near Coronado springs. There is one toll booth on Hwy 429 that way. Take a left onto Buena Vista Drive and left again down onto World Drive and go through the MK toll booth to the Fort.

My two cents.

Bama Ed

We have a 35 foot motor-home and tow a 12 foot enclosed trailer with golf cart, bicycles etc.. We average 7.9 mpg in our motor-home and stop at the last exit in Georgia at the flying j. Easy in and out. From there we can make it to the fort and back, therefore not needing fuel in Florida. Bama Ed is correct. Go all the way to western way on 429. you will be glad you did.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I am leaving from just south of Lexington and can make it to Macon, Georgia on one tank. I really need to find something close to the Disney area so that I will only have to fill up 3 times total. Usually I am all for saving money, but sometimes the convenience of less stops wins out.

I will be sure to check out getting off at Exit 8. Funny story when we went last year. I followed google maps and it brought us in right next to Disney University, along side Space Mountain, and then under Bay Lake. Kids loved it, but the tight roads scared me to death. We came back out a similar way, but stayed away from the Disney stuff and it was ok. Like you said lots of traffic lights.

BamaED, I will be in Tuscaloosa for the KY/Bama game in October. Any suggestions? We already bought a parking pass close to a hospital I think.

Anyone ever use the Speedway on property across from Hollywood Studios? E, 300 Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-8402

I think this could be my winner. Seems to be a easy 3.5 miles from the Fort and close/easy to get back on 429.

Yes I have used that Speedway station but never while towing a camper or in a motor home. It's easy to enter from Epcot Resort Blvd and then come back out on Buena Vista to World Drive and you're on the way to the Fort.

Just wanted to back up what Ed and Michael said. You really don't want to enter by the Winter Park exit. Go on up a few miles to Western Way. That route is so easy and it takes you right to that gas station you mentioned. I made the mistake of being in a hurry a couple of years ago and followed my GPS. I guess that route was maybe 20 feet shorter but took twice as long. Even though I should have known better I let it take me through that mess.

Coachk34, When leaving the Fort to head home. If you haven't figured it out yet you will turn left out of the Fort on to Vista Dr and then Right at the next light on to Bonnet Creek Pkwy. Follow that up to Buena Vista Dr and then turn right to head back to the gas station and then home. Hope you have a safe trip and a fun vacation.

Coachk34, When leaving the Fort to head home. If you haven't figured it out yet you will turn left out of the Fort on to Vista Dr and then Right at the next light on to Bonnet Creek Pkwy. Follow that up to Buena Vista Dr and then turn right to head back to the gas station and then home. Hope you have a safe trip and a fun vacation.

Got it, looking at that route now on Google Maps. Looks like a winner!! Thanks for the help.

BamaED, I will be in Tuscaloosa for the KY/Bama game in October. Any suggestions? We already bought a parking pass close to a hospital I think.

You must be in the parking area close to DCH hospital. This is typically where we park as well. If so, it's a straight walk down to Bryant Denny Stadium.

PM me when the kick-off time is announced, coach, and we can work out the details. We tailgate to the games and I have had season tickets for almost 30 years to the Bama games but I sold them this year already because there was so much profit waiting to be taken. But I bring the genny and tv and dish so I will just be watching games on campus this fall. You are welcome to sit, eat, drink, talk a little Fort, and make yourself comfortable with us as much or as little as you want.

So ping me closer to time.

Bama Ed

PM me when the kick-off time is announced, coach, and we can work out the details. We tailgate to the games and I have had season tickets for almost 30 years to the Bama games but I sold them this year already because there was so much profit waiting to be taken. But I bring the genny and tv and dish so I will just be watching games on campus this fall. You are welcome to sit, eat, drink, talk a little Fort, and make yourself comfortable with us as much or as little as you want.

So ping me closer to time.

Bama Ed

Sounds like a plan Ed, I will be sure to do that. We are looking forward to seeing the Campus, stadium, and atmosphere. Then taking a whooping on the field!! Go Cats!

Hey Coachk34 looks like your Cats play my Gators on Sept 10th. I may be there in the sky box. I'm usually at all home games but my son wants to take a bike trip to New York to the 9/11 memorial that weekend. We're both firefighters. I'm retired and he's still active. So I may miss that game. I'm a Bama fan behind the Gators so unfortunately I wish you two losses this season. Sorry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!