Where to go for NYE?

Tash87

DIS Veteran
My parents have booked to go to Orlando over NYE and will not have tickets for any parks ( they may pay to go to a park on one of their days ) Mum wanted to go MK on NYE but not willing to stay in the park for majority of they day.

What suggestions can I give to them? What have you guys done and enjoyed? ( just for NYE )

Thank you :)

We've done Epcot - hated it as it was so packed.
We've also spent a few NYE's on the Boardwalk and really enjoyed them. They have a DJ on the village green outside of the Boardwalk Inn, a few champagne bars dotted around and just a general good atmosphere. You can also see the fireworks at 12 in the parks from the edge of the lake.
A couple of other years we've booked a meal in a nice restaurant (Blue Zoo, California Grill) and then gone back to the hotel to watch the fireworks. This was when we were staying at the GF and we could watch them at MK.
We've found that we prefer to be around our hotel as transportation is packed to the rafters and the roads are so busy too.

I'd assume she wouldn't be able to get into the park if left it much later than midday

Yes, no chance of getting into MK. Epcot would probably be okay - we've got into Epcot around 4pm but it was unbearably crowded. We did New Year at the Rose and Crown at 7pm and made our escape.

We watched the fireworks from the beach the day night before NYE, and then on NYE we ate at the Yacht club, then went across to the Boardwalk to enjoy the DJ. We could see fireworks from Epcot and DHS.

Yes, no chance of getting into MK. Epcot would probably be okay - we've got into Epcot around 4pm but it was unbearably crowded. We did New Year at the Rose and Crown at 7pm and made our escape.
Similarly we got into Epcot on 4th July last year with no issues, FP for Illuminations was very useful!

Thank you for your replies!

I think The Boardwalk might be a good option for them. They have spent several NYE in Orlando but haven't "celebrated" it but want to do something different this year.

It's the busyness (is that even a word?) that has always put me off going over Christmas and NY but would LOVE to.

They could make dinning reservation at Calf. Grill on top of the Contemporary and see fireworks from the restaurant.

We have done Disney several times on NYE and it is a packed house at the parks. 2000 was the worst I ever saw, though.
So prepare for the crowds of people, BUT I have always found the least stressful to be the Boardwalk or *Hollywood Studios (*Dine there but get out before the crowds (11:00 pm or so) and head to Boardwalk to watch fireworks with glass of champs from one of the restaurant bars).
If they do not want to head to a park, what you can do is what others have said, make dinner reservations at MK resorts restaurants or the Boardwalk resorts. Linger there till midnight and watch the fireworks.
I prefer Boardwalk for reasons mentioned above and you can actually take a lovely stroll after dinner, shop, grab ice cream/dessert and then watch the fireworks.
Do not forget about the restaurants in the Dolphin and Swan hotels. Shula's and Il Mulino may have availability earlier on, Bluezoo has some later time slots. You get the Disney experience without the "crushing" crowds, but there will be crowds.

We spent NYE 2016 at the hard rock - they had a band on that did half hour sets of music from each decade starting from the 50’s right up til present day. There was a buffet and an area for kids to do activities. It was fab we had a blast. If we weren’t travelling with our then 8 year old we would have stayed at city walk after - it was a huge party and you could see fireworks everywhere!! Only prob was getting out - we had to walk a good twenty minutes to reach our UBER sat in traffic!

We go for NYE every year. I would recommend that they skip the parks on NYE if they don't already have a multi-day park hopper. That week is so super busy that lines are long for Quick Service restaurants and bathrooms! It's crazy, but we love it. I would feel very ripped off if I spent $100+US for a one-day ticket and had to wade through those kind of crowds.

The MK midnight NYE fireworks are also shown on 12/30. They are shot off behind the castle and also in the 7 Seas Lagoon. You can search for "fireworks monorail resort" for ideas on where to go to see them. There are good viewing areas at the Contemporary, the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Be careful about the Polynesian since they will block off the beach for their own guests during busy times. The California Grill mentioned above for NYE is very, very, very expensive ($650 USD per person last year). Here is a page that talks about special events from last year: http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/new-years-eve-dining.htm

I would arrange to see the Epcot fireworks from the Boardwalk area on 12/31. They set a DJ up on the Boardwalk Villas lawn and I assume that they do a countdown.

Grab a dinner ADR on one of the monorail resorts for 12/30 and another in the Boardwalk area on 12/31 (there are only a few left even now) so they can ensure that they can park in the area. They WILL be turned away from parking at the resorts without a meal reservation!

Last NYE we ended up abandoning EPCOT and decided to go back to our resort (POFQ) and was surprised to walk into a party in the courtyard, with characters and had THE best time, so if we were going to go again at this time of year, I would suggest going back to your resort....HTH.

Thank you for your advice/suggestions :)

I don't think they are planning to go to any parks or resorts (staying offsite) I think they are probably just going to relax at their villa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!