Where to put stroller on the plane?

c&m

Love the Mouse but love my DH more for taking me t
We haven't flown in a while. We mostly drive on our vacations. This time, we are flying and are bringing an our umbrella stroller. Where do you put umbrella strollers on the plane these days? Do you have to check it in? Or can we just put it in our overhead bin?

You can wheel it right up to the gate. They will put a tag on it there and then you just have to fold it up and leave it. They stow it for you and it's usually there waiting for you when you step off the plane. Have fun!

Thanks for your reply! That sounds ok. We're leaving in 5 days, and I guess these little details are preying on my mind!

Not to scare you, but will the airline "lost" our stroller even though it was tagged at the gate. Luckliy we were on our way back from Disneyland. Our stroller was the lucky one-- it got an over night stay in Vegas. The happy ending was that three days after we were home FedEx delivered our stroller tags and all.

We gate check a wheelchair all the time, so we are old hands at gate checking. I also have a friend whose DH is a flight attendant, so I got some hints from him.
DON'T WAIT until you get to the gate and are getting on the plane. Ask about gate checking when you check in. They may tell you to wait until you get to the gate, but that means as soon as the gate agent gets there, not as you are boarding. The tag needs to be marked with your flight number and there is usually a checkbox to indicate where you want the item returned: to the baggage area or the gate at your final destination or at a connecting flight city (so there are 4 possibilities to chose from). If someone has to fill that out as you are getting on the plane, there is more chance for error and more chance of never seeing your stroller again.
After getting your gate check tag, you can wheel the stroller right up to the doorway of the plane. Make sure to fold it and secure it so it won't come unfolded. Also make sure things that stick out and could catch, like canopies or seat belts are secured so they don't get damaged.
The last hint is to remember to pick it up. We are usually the last people to leave the plane and on almost every flight, we see a stroller or two patiently waiting for people who forgot they gate checked them.

WOW! Maybe this is not such a little detail afterall! Thanks for your info on this subject. I will request a gate check tag when I check in.

Just so you know, you will not always be able to get a gate check tag ahead of time. We gate check our stroller all the time, and sometimes they will give you the tag at check-in and sometimes not. It doesn't even have anything to do with a particular airline. I think it has more to do with who is at the gate. Just ask when you check in and follow their instructions.

Most gate checked strollers, etc. are brought off the plane at the gate when you arrive making it very convenient. I do think that once our gatechecked stroller was delivered to the baggage area, however, which I would think might make it more likely to get misplaced. I can't remember what airline that was with, but my guess is that it is per the airline's policy as to how they handle the gatechecked items (ie delivered at gate or baggage check). You might want to check with your airline as to the policy. Personally, I've never had a problem with gatechecking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter