Where to stay and when to book?

CamDisDay

Earning My Ears
Husband and I are taking a Disney Cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary (recreating our honeymoon) at the end of August 2019 and we're going to spend a few days at the parks before hand. We own at SSR but have only stayed there once (live on the west coast and use our membership for Disneyland or Aulani mostly). I want to make it special and stay somewhere we have not stayed before (dream is BLT).... so looking for some advice (the boards got me stressed about availability):

1. Is availability at the end of August (like 27-31) something to worry about?
  2. Should I utilize my 11 month window and just get a studio at SSR?
  3. If to book elsewhere at 7 months, will I have an issues finding a studio?
  4. Any suggestions on DVC resorts? We've only stayed at AKV (loved it there) and SSR, looking for a WOW! reaction from the husband (he tolerates Disney for me, but fortunately loves the cruise!)
Thanks in advance :)

SSR will unlikely be 100% booked at the 11mo mark for Aug 28, so you are probably safe booking at 7mo for another resort without having to book SSR. It’s always safer, however, to book your home resort then switch at 7mo mark but that’s up to you.

Are you looking at 1bds or studios? Where have you stayed before?

My favorites for studios are:
Poly
BWV
GFV
BCV

1bd: BLT, GFV

I personally wouldn’t do BLT for a studio bc it is pretty small, especially for a wedding anniversary.

Congrats!!

If looking for a WOW, a studio wont get it done. Think 1 BR at CCV, BLT, VGF ...

.....Are you looking at 1bds or studios? Where have you stayed before?....

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! We've stayed at AKV and SSR (each once for quick stays when in the area). Was originally thinking a studio... but...it is a big anniversary (for us) so 1 BR is what I'm going to shoot for.

If looking for a WOW, a studio wont get it done. Think 1 BR at CCV, BLT, VGF ...

Great point and thanks for the recommendations!

Do and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in November and cruising Royal Caribbean - DCL was just too expensive for a suite among other reasons for the week after Thanksgiving. Anyway always wanted to stay at VGF and scored a 3 night stay in a studio over Thanksgiving and my home resort is Hilton Head and I was on the waitlist! So I say go for whatever your heart desires! And happy planning!

Do and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in November and cruising Royal Caribbean - DCL was just too expensive for a suite among other reasons for the week after Thanksgiving. Anyway always wanted to stay at VGF and scored a 3 night stay in a studio over Thanksgiving and my home resort is Hilton Head and I was on the waitlist! So I say go for whatever your heart desires! And happy planning!

Thats awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed for good luck like that! Thanks and congrats on 25 years!

We celebrated our 50th with a 4 night DCL cruise, 1 night at the VGF. Dinner at Narcoosees, included a complimentary glass of champagne for each and wonderful desserts. The CMs without exception made the stay special. It was perfect.:love:

Congratulations to everyone here who are celebrating a special anniversary!:love:

Based on historical reservations, the following is likely for the time period you want at 7 months out in studios and 1BRs:

Unavailable: BWV standard and boardwalk view studios, VGF studios, BCV studios, AKV value and club level studios and 1BRs, AKV club level studios and 1BRs. (CCV is still early in development of a pattern but based on current information it appears likely that studios could be unavailable for the time you want)

50/50 Chance: BLT theme Park view studios and 1BRs, AKV Jambo studios, OKW studios in the near Hospitality House booking category, and, based on more recent date, BRV studios (in past they were typically open but more recent data is indicating they might have an issue)

Available: BWV 1BRs in all categories and pool/garden view studios, Poly studios, BLT lake view studios and 1BRs, AKV Kidani standard and savanna view studios and 1BRs, AKV Jambo 1BRs, VGF 1BRs, BRV 1BRs, SSR studios and 1BRs, OKW studios and 1BRs (other than possibly the HH studios noted above)

You probably do not need to reserve SSR at 11 months out to assure getting a room but there is always some possible risk even there (e.g., at 8 months out DVC could announce a Moonlight Magic night at MK for one of the nights you want and the resort could fill before you even notice the announcement for that night). Be aware that you can now modify your reservation online from SSR to another resort at 7 months out without risking losing both reservations.

Don’t forget the refurbishment of SSR starts in 2019. I’m not sure of the exact date, but I think it’s late 2019. Doesn’t hurt to book SSR and pick something else at 7 months.

I would pick the Polynesian -- I think there is more of an immersive feel there. The studios are large so you won't feel like you are in a small studio. I think the resort is a bit more romantic compared to BLT with being able to sit on the beach and watch the fireworks. You can hit up trader sams in the evening. There is a nice walkway over to GF so you could also plan a dinner over there.

We are staying in a TPV studio at BLT for our 25th. We could have stayed in a 1BR, but this is our only trip without our kids so we figured it would likely be our only chance to stay in a studio at our home resort. The TPV (I'm hoping) will be the wow factor - hopefully they won't stick us on the 4th or 5th floor.

I don't think a 1BR is the only way to go to get a wow factor - as others have said Poly will be nice, and we have stayed in a VGF studio before a cruise, with kids, and been fine. If you do do a 1BR, however, any of the MK resorts (including CCV or BRV) would be awesome, as would BCV or BWV. You likely wouldn't be able to get BW or standard views at BWV, but there should be plenty of availability in the P/G view.

Enjoy, and congratulations!

I want to make it special and stay somewhere we have not stayed before (dream is BLT).... so looking for some advice (the boards got me stressed about availability):

I would recommend just renting your points with Dave then use those funds to rent BLT points from Dave's Rental. It won't break the bank for a special week. I think the difference is $4 per point. Maybe out of pocket $500, which isn't too bad for an anniversary.

PS, you could also rent out 30 or so more SSR to offset the up-charge too, just a suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter