Where to stay close to the Walt Disney World Theme Parks?

Cavallo5

Earning My Ears
Hello, we are a family of 5 (children aged 15, 12 & 11) and will be travelling to Orlando from Australia in December 2017 for our first time.

We are overwhelmed by all the accommodation that is offered and we are not sure where to stay. It looks expensive to stay at the Disney Resorts and are looking to stay off site. We will not have a car and will rely on shuttles to and from the hotel to go to the Disney World Theme Parks. We would also like to be walking distance to restaurants and if possible a supermarket.

Thank You.

I honestly can't answer your question, but I did want to say I'd highly recommend staying on property if you can work it into your budget. Especially for a first time trip.

Disney handles all transportation within their network from the Disney Magical Express that takes you from the airport to your hotel, to taking your bags straight from the airplane and putting them in your room. It has a bus to all the parks and Disney Springs from your resort. You will never have to leave the "bubble" and it really feels like a totally different experience. I have done both, and I would stay on property hands down. I don't think I could stay off property again, it just makes the experience for me.

We live in California and are Disneyland AP holders. We go all the time. I don't go to WDW for the rides, I have the rides (most of the them) here. I go for the immersive experience.

Again, just my thoughts. I'm sure someone else on here can tell you they love staying off property and will hopefully be able to make a recommendation for you?

You could look at the hotels near Disney Springs. A hotel that would fit 5 of you would be Double Tree Suites by Hilton Orlando. There are shuttles to the parks and back. It is not that far from Disney Springs for restaurants.

There are grocery delivery services available to deliver items to your hotel.

Airbnb.com or vrbo.com

There are condos places that owners rent out weekly just outside the parks that are easy to take Uber or Lyft into the parks.

http://disneyspringshotels.com/ Good shuttle bus system. Walking distance to Disney Springs. Walking distance to many offsite restaurants and a grocery store (not the cheapest but walkable). Few other groceries a short drive by taxi/uber.

Def look at the Doubletree Suites; roomy recently renovated suites, kitchenette, dining table (they brought us an extra chair as we are 5). Check direct with hotel, via above site or Mousesavers for some good rates.

Staybridge Suites is not far outside Disney Springs, fairly newly renovated, offers a mini kitchen, suites with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, living room, great hot breakfast buffet and a "scheduled bus" but I drove so I don't know how the bus works. Within a block or so are many restaurants and grocery store. I really liked it here. http://www.sborlando.com/orlando-resorts.htm

Once you are looking at a place, google maps are your friend to see location, what is walkable around it and how close to Disney.

We are overwhelmed by all the accommodation that is offered and we are not sure where to stay.

Yes, planning a trip to Disney World can be overwhelming. The folks on this website love to share tips and tricks. As with most things in life, there's not going to be a single right answer to your questions. Feel free to ask questions...even ones that seem "dumb" or illogical. We're a pretty friendly bunch.

I honestly can't answer your question, but I did want to say I'd highly recommend staying on property if you can work it into your budget. Especially for a first time trip.

Disney handles all transportation within their network from the Disney Magical Express that takes you from the airport to your hotel, to taking your bags straight from the airplane and putting them in your room. It has a bus to all the parks and Disney Springs from your resort. You will never have to leave the "bubble" and it really feels like a totally different experience. I have done both, and I would stay on property hands down. I don't think I could stay off property again, it just makes the experience for me.

Disney Resorts are great for the reasons you mention (and many more). But, there also are some drawbacks. The biggest one tends to be price. The price of the room and the food at Disney Resorts are usually many times higher than other options. Personally, I almost always stay "off-site" because I get a longer stay at a nicer hotel for less money.

Disney's Magical Express bus service is a great perk. Yet, if you are unlucky you may have to make multiple stops before arriving at your resort. For roughly $80 each way (approximately $105 AUD), you can have a private towncar/SUV take you and your luggage directly from the airport to your hotel. If you're flying from Australia to Orlando without any stopovers, that extra money would probably be worth spending.

http://disneyspringshotels.com/ Good shuttle bus system. Walking distance to Disney Springs. Walking distance to many offsite restaurants and a grocery store (not the cheapest but walkable). Few other groceries a short drive by taxi/uber.

Def look at the Doubletree Suites; roomy recently renovated suites, kitchenette, dining table (they brought us an extra chair as we are 5). Check direct with hotel, via above site or Mousesavers for some good rates.

HopperFan always seems to give good advice. If you're unfamiliar, the Disney Springs Hotels are located on Disney property (adjacent to the Disney Springs shopping area) but are owned and operated by third-party companies. They are a middle ground between the Disney Resorts and off-site hotels. While they don't offer the Disney perks, they do provide continuous transportation to the theme parks. Many off-site hotels only have 2 or 3 trips in the morning and 2 or 3 returns each evening. The Disney Springs Hotels have service every 30 minutes all day long. If something comes up one day and you want to return to your hotel, it's very easy.

I am a big fan of the DoubleTree Suites. Each suite has two queen beds and sleeper sofa. They are 540 sq feet (165 sq meters), which is twice size of one of Disney's Value Resort rooms.

Although you won't have two distinct rooms, I believe the tower rooms at the B Resort have two queen beds and a single sleeper chair. That might work, as well.

This is a Bing Map I created for an old thread. It shows the seven hotels in relation to Disney Springs.
disneysprings-hotels-labels-crossroads-600x560.jpg

Link to Interactive Map: https://binged.it/2nVqbwk

On the upper-right corner you will see Crossroads. Crossroads is a shopping area just off Disney property. There are a bunch of fast food and casual restaurants, including some open 24 hours. You'll also find the (expensive) grocery store that HopperFan mentioned. I like the Doubletree Suites location because it's an easy walk to Crossroads. That gives you so many more food options...and virtually all of them are cheaper than what you'll pay for equivalent meals on Disney property. Plus, you can also go to Disney Springs.

That's my take on things. Feel free to ask questions.

Hello, we are a family of 5 (children aged 15, 12 & 11) and will be travelling to Orlando from Australia in December 2017 for our first time.

We are overwhelmed by all the accommodation that is offered and we are not sure where to stay. It looks expensive to stay at the Disney Resorts and are looking to stay off site. We will not have a car and will rely on shuttles to and from the hotel to go to the Disney World Theme Parks. We would also like to be walking distance to restaurants and if possible a supermarket.

Thank You.
I am trying really hard to guess what your price range is? but have no idea

Just wondering Disney has a range of resorts , just wondering what resorts where you looking at?

I stayed at the Four Seasons and it was very nice. But sounds this is way out of the price range. What I will say is even if the Disney Hotels look out of your budget. The busses are very frequent for a family with no car. You get free transportation to and from the airport. If you do not have a car. I think it will be very hard to do shopping and get around!
Where in Australia are you from!
I will say even the Four Seasons will not have the frequency of travel that you will need.
ps. Being close to good dining/attractions/theme parks are expensive. But maybe stay Bonnie Creek. But the Hilton area does not have that good a shuttle

Last edited:
IMG_6697.JPG IMG_6701.JPG IMG_6709.JPG To add to what @writerguyfl said about B Resort. Stayed there several times in all different rooms. I've stayed in tower in room he described a few times, once just a couple weeks ago. Two queens then a nice sofa that opens to a bed for one, much bigger than twin but not sure it's a full but could be. I really like B and what it offers, boutique in design. Does have resort and parking fees but lots of specials, last trip resort fee was waived and room upgrade via Mousesavers.

I just booked the Doubletree at Disney Springs with the helpful information of writerguyfl and hopperfan above. I didn't know they existed before a week ago, but they are going to be a perfect alternative to staying onsite. We've been to disney 4 times, never stayed onsite but thought we'd try it this time. Once I started planning and realizing the incredible expense of hotels that are nothing special for the price and the over inflated price of meals for the 4 of us, I quickly changed my mind. For an 8 or 9 day stay, I figure we'll save at least $2,000.00. There are at least 20 restaurants within a kilometer. The things we don't get by not staying on site are not important to us - eg. the Magical Express from the airport (there are buses and other transportation that can be arranged), the extra magic hours, and charging things back to our Disney account.
The rooms at the Doubletree look perfect with a small fridge, microwave and sink, separate living room with TV and pull out couch, table and chairs and a separate bedroom with two queens. Fits what we need perfectly. I love that the shuttle runs every 30 minutes to the parks and another one shuttles to Disney Springs (a short walk anyway).

Thank You.
With no rental car, you go from an endless amount of options to just a few, the Disney Springs resorts and perhaps Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Many of the things you can do to save money by staying offsite are erased by extra transportation costs and lots of lost time needed to take shuttles or walk long distances when you have no car.

I don't know your situation, but many people look at having no rental car as a way to save money at Disney, but in reality you can often save a lot more money, have better accommodations and a better experience by renting the car.

Considering the cost of flying from Australia, I would just bite the bullet and stay on property. A value suite has a kitchenette and you could have some food delivered to save money on snacks and breakfast.

I would honestly advise you to stay onsite. You can do the wilderness cabins, a value suite or perhaps a moderate that accommodates five. I think that will take A LOT of the stress away.

We stay at the Holiday Inn a lot in Disney Springs and have found it to be convenient and pretty comfortable. It is a quick walk to Disney Springs where there are now so many restaurants to choose from! Quite frankly even the lobby restaurant is pretty good. We were so exhausted one night we just went down there and had a nice (reasonably priced) dinner and got to watch a Disney movie projected onto the wall. Was actually nice and relaxing. They run a lot of good rates although they were recently acquired by another hotel group so they started charging a service fee however during high season still much more affordable than the Disney resorts but still so much more convenient than driving to the parks (they have their own transportation bus system).

One word of caution though...if you are not heavy sleepers make sure to request a tower room or a room that does NOT face I-4. :)

Every situation is different and every group traveling has different needs. While I would never stay OFF site without a car, I think staying at Disney Springs hotels is a different story. They have a very reliable regular bus service and anytime I stay I see the solid stream of buses coming and going. Yes, you are in a brand hotel and slightly out of the bubble but if it's your first time you don't have any expectation of that.

For the first week in December:
- Art of Animation Suite is $325 per night.
- DoubleTree Suites is $129 per night.

That is a big difference. In a week that saves $1400, minus the costs to get to the hotel. Is it worth it? For some it will be. Over a $1000 could pay for a lot of meals. I think what I would do is to book something you are able to cancel offsite, say at DTS, knowing if you stay there you will have good transportation and access to dining/groceries etc and be happy with your choice. THEN keep watching Disney closely to see what discounts come up. Depending on the dates, OP could pick up a discount at AoA Suite (or like space) that would close the gap enough that it would be worth changing the booking to Disney. Unfortunately we don't have December discounts yet.

But the OP has not given us even a price range!
@HopperFan I agree as long as they have a steam of busses they should be fine. But the 'no car' really worries me.

But the OP has not given us even a price range!
@HopperFan I agree as long as they have a steam of busses they should be fine. But the 'no car' really worries me.

I agree that when posters ask about offsite it is important to understand their budget ... but the OP stated they are a family of five and Disney hotels look to be too expensive. We can deduct that with five they will need two value/moderate rooms or a family suite/cabin. I was only comparing the nicer Disney family suite to a nice Disney Springs family suite.

What is really more important are their actual dates because December rates have a wide range AND if they do go for two rooms would they be comfortable splitting their family up as those rooms can't be guaranteed together.

MANY folks travel to Orlando without a car and depend on other types of transportation. Would I? No. But I would absolutely stay at any Disney Springs hotel because that is not just a few times a day shuttle, it is a mini-bus system that runs very well. And the plus is if you run into a bus problem getting back you can take a Disney bus to Saratoga Springs and walk, or even the evening Park-to-DS buses and walk.

Last edited:
I agree that when posters ask about offsite it is important to understand their budget ... but the OP stated they are a family of five and Disney hotels look to be too expensive. We can deduct that with five they will need two value/moderate rooms or a family suite/cabin. I was only comparing the nicer Disney family suite to a nice Disney Springs family suite.

Yes, this. There a huge number of reasons that I would have zero interest in staying on site, cost is near the top of that list. Since we're a family of 5, we can't have a hotel room. We would need either two rooms, or a suite. I was showing DD9 pictures of the AoA hotel yesterday, as we've never explored it before and probably will for our next trip. She asked how much it would cost to stay there, so we checked. Since we're a family of 5, it didn't give us options for a hotel room, only for a suite. The suites were $420/night. Even a hotel room was around $150/night. Multiply that by 2 and you're at $300/night. So that's $2100/week for hotel rooms or nearly $3000/week for a suite. And I still am stuck in a small room with all the other major downsides I'd have with staying in a hotel. For our upcoming trip, we're staying in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home for under $70/night and it has all the amenities of home.

I would be interested to know why the OP is not considering a rental car and how long they are planning to stay. I would suspect that coming all the way from Australia they would probably be in the area for at least two weeks unless they had other destinations in the US in their plans.

We stay at the Holiday Inn a lot in Disney Springs and have found it to be convenient and pretty comfortable. It is a quick walk to Disney Springs where there are now so many restaurants to choose from! Quite frankly even the lobby restaurant is pretty good. We were so exhausted one night we just went down there and had a nice (reasonably priced) dinner and got to watch a Disney movie projected onto the wall. Was actually nice and relaxing. They run a lot of good rates although they were recently acquired by another hotel group so they started charging a service fee however during high season still much more affordable than the Disney resorts but still so much more convenient than driving to the parks (they have their own transportation bus system).

One word of caution though...if you are not heavy sleepers make sure to request a tower room or a room that does NOT face I-4. :)
I was thinking of staying here for a night, maybe just to hang out at disney springs..... is it pretty nice? How far to walk over the the Springs?

I was thinking of staying here for a night, maybe just to hang out at disney springs..... is it pretty nice? How far to walk over the the Springs?

All disneyspringshotels.com are walkable. We really enjoy disneysprings.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter