Where to Stay - Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

SplashMom

I have a whole new perspective on life!
My husband and I are doing our fourth Disney cruise in March to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale and staying four nights before our cruise. We have always cruised from Port Canaveral before so we are unfamiliar with this area. I'm not sure if we should stay in Fort Lauderdale for the four nights or go to Miami and stay there. We have never been to either location. We are from a colder climate so I'm hoping for a little beach time. The hotels on the beach look quite expensive but I really can't decide which location I want. I hate this indecision, lol. I like to research and make decisions wisely but this is proving to be very tough. Any advice? Any hotels that you really love in either place?

March is kind of expensive here in South Florida. The folks from up-north are sick of the snow and cold weather and make an excuse to come down, spring break pricing is starting up with the hotels and the places at the beach are really expensive about then. I don't have any favorite places in either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, and can't give you much advise, just an explanation of why the prices are up that time of the year. We haven't cruised out of Miami, but have a LOT of times out of Ft. Lauderdale and have found some deals for an overnight or two. I always search Trip Advisor for hotels in the area that I would like to stay. The beach north of Ft. Lauderdale is nice too, and easy to get to.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Everybody is different... I find Fort Lauderdale --or at least what I have seen of it so far-- to be much more charming and a bit less expensive than Miami.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale in March. We did it and it was a complete nightmare. There were drunk college kids EVERYWHERE. The restaurants were full of them being loud and rowdy and the entire strip along the road next to the beach is set up with metal railings (so they don't drunkenly wander into the street and get run over) so it's very hard to navigate the crowds along the sidewalks. From the airport to our hotel, what was estimated to be a 20 minute drive took over an hour because of all the traffic and insanity from spring breakers. It was a huge party 24/7. We couldn't even get near a beach, it was wall to wall people.

I don't know if Miami is the same, but if you want to enjoy a beach during March, I don't recommend Ft. Lauderdale.

We stayed in South Beach when we sailed out of Miami a couple years ago. South Beach had a unique mix of beaches, restaurants and nightlife and we really enjoyed walking around and looking at the art deco buildings.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately since I am a teacher, I can only going during our spring break so it has to be March. I have checked trip advisor (and many other review sites) and have found the Premiere Hotel in Fort Lauderdale has thousands of fabulous reports at a very reasonable price. I may book there today. Anyone ever stay there?

Look at Lauderdale by the Sea, a relaxed beach town just north of Fort Lauderdale. Lots of charming motels and inns there. We stayed there after our cruise last April and loved it. Great beach and everything is walkable.

How is pricing in the Miami area in October? Is that "off season" more or less?

Look at Lauderdale by the Sea, a relaxed beach town just north of Fort Lauderdale. Lots of charming motels and inns there. We stayed there after our cruise last April and loved it. Great beach and everything is walkable.

And it's close to the Mai Kai, the last original tiki restaurant of its kind, with an amazing bar, gorgeous restaurant, nice gardens, good food, perfect tiki drinks and incredible Polynesian dance revue. It's like you stepped back into Mid Century tiki paradise. It won't be inundated by spring breakers either, since it's not near the beach and the drinks are more expensive than $1 Jagerbombs. That's enough for me to choose anything in FLL or Lauderdale by the Sea over Miami. :D http://www.maikai.com

Anything that's closer to Morikami Gardens (40 minutes or so from Lauderdale by the Sea) is good for me too. https://morikami.org/

How is pricing in the Miami area in October? Is that "off season" more or less?

Not sure there is an off season in Miami. It was super expensive when we went in October. Everything that is beach front was over 350$/night.

And it's close to the Mai Kai, the last original tiki restaurant of its kind, with an amazing bar, gorgeous restaurant, nice gardens, good food, perfect tiki drinks and incredible Polynesian dance revue. It's like you stepped back into Mid Century tiki paradise. It won't be inundated by spring breakers either, since it's not near the beach and the drinks are more expensive than $1 Jagerbombs. That's enough for me to choose anything in FLL or Lauderdale by the Sea over Miami. :D http://www.maikai.com

Anything that's closer to Morikami Gardens (40 minutes or so from Lauderdale by the Sea) is good for me too. https://morikami.org/

Oh, thanks for posting -- these are incredible links and look like they would be worth planning for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter