Where to Stay Off-Property for Dopey Challenge 2018

grahammcb

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I am new to Disney running but not new to Disney. I will be taking on the Dopey Challenge in 2018, but am already trying to pin down a few logistics to make my training stress-free...here's my main question. I will not be bringing kids down with me for the run, so I need a place to stay for just one person. I will be flying into Orlando, but am trying to decide if it's worth renting a car and finding a place to stay a little further away from Disney (trying to avoid parking fees, etc.) or staying close to Disney and using a third party transportation company to get me to the races. Because the races start so early in the morning, I'm a little scared to rely on transportation that is not Disney, mainly because I assume traffic will be bad. But, because I'm coming down by myself, I'm trying to keep money spent to a minimum and not stay "on property". I'm looking into staying at the Doubletree Inn by Disney Springs. I called and asked about transportation and was told that they coordinate with a third party to transport me to a Disney hotel, then the Disney hotel will provide transportation to marathon. Has anyone ever stayed "off property" during marathon weekend and used other transportation to get to the races? I just can't decide if it's a big deal or not...it would certainly save me a lot of money. Any opinions would be helpful to this dopey challenge newbie! Thanks!

I would be pretty nervous about this 3rd party will take you to a Disney resort and use Disney transportation once there plan. I guess it could work out fine, but seems like any issues with the 3rd party could end up with nervous mornings trying to get to the races.

My group stayed off property last year and had no issue driving in each morning. Parking is free and we were able to stay warm in the car on the cold Marathon morning for a lot longer than we would have riding Disney transportation. We didn't need to rent a car, so that wasn't an issue; I see it may be one for you.

I was apprehensive about driving in beforehand, but it turned out to be no issue at all and very convenient. I would probably recommend driving yourself over relying on 3rd party transport if a rental car is an option.

I have stayed off property once when I ran just a half, but I always have a car, regardless of where I stay. Driving in worked fine for me. It seems weird that Disney would allow any 3rd party to shuttle people in to a Disney hotel and then use guest transportation.

You can get a discounted rate to stay at Pop for under $100 (when discounts come out in October). If it was me, I would do that. Plus, if you do ay park days, you would have to pay for transport for that, and there are always resort fees at most of the offsite places. In the end, a stay at a Disney Value property would probably be a better deal.

If you are staying off property for Marathon weekend get a car. Rental cars in Orlando are cheap and it is worth not worrying about unreliable transportation.

I would also be nervous to trust a 3rd party transportation system as well. I've stayed off-site but like others I've always had a car and it was very easy. I'd also recommend either getting a car or staying at a value on-site.

Thank you for all the help! I appreciate the opinions! Do you have to pay to park for the races? I know it's $20/day to park for park entry, but do they charge for race parking since the parks aren't actually open? Still trying to weigh cost vs convenience...

Thank you for all the help! I appreciate the opinions! Do you have to pay to park for the races? I know it's $20/day to park for park entry, but do they charge for race parking since the parks aren't actually open? Still trying to weigh cost vs convenience...

Parking is free for the races. Not sure when the cutoff is, but if you are running a race you will be there early enough that it won't be an issue. If you leave and come back to the parks later in the day you would have to pay.

Be careful about off property hotels when it comes to resort and parking fees. The DoubleTree @ Disney Springs has a $20 plus tax fee for parking per night.

As a solo traveler participating in my 1st Disney races I would opt to stay on property. The value resorts aren't too expensive during that time. You will get transportation from the airport to the resort, transportation to ESPN to pick up your race packets, transportation to/from the races and transportation back to the airport.

I stayed on property and drove to each race for the 2015 Dopey. There were some road closures but it was extremely easy to get to EPCOT. We did not get much extra sleep because we still left early to beat the traffic. We had some cold mornings that year and it was great to be able to sit (and nap) in a warm car instead of immediately going to the waiting area.

Parking is free for the races. Not sure when the cutoff is, but if you are running a race you will be there early enough that it won't be an issue. If you leave and come back to the parks later in the day you would have to pay.

Depending on how far away you are staying it might be cheaper to pay Uber to take you to your resort and back instead of paying to park when you return.

Check prices at Bonnet Creek through sites like airnb. you can save enough money to pay for a rental care easily, and the drive in from there is extremely easy on race day - 10 minutes from door to parked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter