Where to stay on arrival night?

madamszam

Earning My Ears
We are going heading to Disney on 1/25/20 and we're staying at the Polynesian. After looking at flights and remembering past experiences on travel day, we decided to book afternoon flights on 24th with the intent of getting a cheap room near the airport and then heading to the Poly the morning of the 25th.

Our flight lands at 8pm Florida time, so it'll be likely that we will be leaving the airport around 9pm at the earliest. We've never arrived this late before as we've always left MN early in the morning and checking in around 1-2pm.

We will be traveling with 3.5 & 4.5 year olds so we will want to get them to bed as soon as we can so they are well rested for the rest of the trip which is 8 nights.

After speaking with my travel agent, she recommended we just get a room only reservation at one of the value resorts and have disney send our luggage to the Poly the next morning. I've never stayed at a value resort so I know very little about them, and there'll be 5 of us and the rooms state they accommodate 4. Can we get 5 into a value room for just one night?

I'm looking for some advice on where to stay/what to do that night as I don't want to pay Deluxe room rates since we will be getting in so late and I feel there is a cheaper option and I'm concerned about the travel time to WDW resorts that time of day and traveling with young ones.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would consider the Hyatt located within the Orlando airport. You can land, collect your luggage, go directly to the hotel and get the kids to bed. You can then take ME to the Poly in the morning.

Unless you have one child under 3, you cannot put 5 in a value room.
I think this is a good idea. It will be a lot easier for you to get off the plane, get settled and then move to your resort in the morning rather than check in at night only to have to switch resorts the following day.

Another vote for the MCO Hyatt. You'll get the kids to bed much faster.

Thanks. I was thinking about the Hyatt MCO but the rate after taxes is over $300. Has anyone been able to get a better rate than that there?

We don’t have children as young as yours but for late arrival we almost always do pop. It’s good for one night and you can wake up at Disney. If your children are used to strict sleeping schedules I would suggest the Hyatt. I’ve tried to find good deals for the Hyatt but never have. I’m sure it’s because of the seasons we usually go.

Thanks. I was thinking about the Hyatt MCO but the rate after taxes is over $300. Has anyone been able to get a better rate than that there?

If you are a World of Hyatt member (loyalty program) or AAA (or CAA), you can typically get a small discount.

Your cheapest onsite option with a family of 5 will probably be a "5th sleeper" room at either POR or CBR, but, without a discount, it may not be much less than the Hyatt option.

There are other hotels near the airport that are cheaper and provide shuttle service to the airport. You can also check Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, etc. for special rates at airport hotels. Take into account the number of guests and then see what you can get that meets your level requirements.

Last edited:
Just get a cheap room at your preferred hotel at the airport. Why pay $300 at the airport for Hyatt to save maybe 20 mins that evening.

Personally got my room when we land on points so it's free for me.

Just make sure it has a shuttle and is nearby.

Me personally, if you can get 5 into a value room on Disney property I would do so and lately that's what we've been doing as we liked to wake up already be in the "bubble" rather than wake up and have to go back to the airport, check in @ DME, wait for the bus, and the stops before getting to yours.

Thanks for all of the advice. Has anyone ever slept 5 (2 adults, 3 kids between 3-11) in a Value room for a night? book room only reservation separate from package and not list all guests?

Thanks for all of the advice. Has anyone ever slept 5 (2 adults, 3 kids between 3-11) in a Value room for a night? book room only reservation separate from package and not list all guests?

I'm sure a moderator will be around shortly on this one, but you can't discuss circumventing WDW rules on these boards . . .

Only guests listed on a WDW reservation will have access to Disney's Magical Express so you would not have access to their free transportation service. Anyone trying to go over capacity in a WDW resort room is subject to being thrown out of the hotel - no refunds. You are staying at the Poly. I have a feeling you can swing a room that will fit your family. POR and CBR 5th sleepers fit the bill at mod prices.

Hyatt airport sometimes has military/veterans discounts, if that applies to you.

I would just bite the bullet and stay there. With kids that little, and getting in late, I'd spend the money and get them right to bed.

You can also split up. One parent takes the kids to check in, while the other goes to baggage claim. This will get the kids in bed even earlier. They can be in a bed by 8:30.

Make sure you know where you pack the little one's pj's and toothbrushes, so you can get them in bed asap!

Unfortunately, putting 5 in a value room would eliminate your ability to use Magical Express and therefore eat the cost you are saving by staying value vs. booking one of the mods that sleep 5 (POR, CBR) since you will now have to pay for airport transportation. I get it, it's frustrating, we are also a family of 5 and many other hotels will let you put an extra child in a room meant for 4. If you can't find discounts through Disney, sometimes cheaptickets and orbitz have coupon codes that work on Disney hotels which you could use to book POR or CBR. Just make sure you book a 5th sleeper and you may have to call Disney wholesale to get everyone added on your reservation and to link to MDE. Otherwise, I'd imagine there are lots of hotels near the airport with continuous free shuttle service to and from the airport. While we've never done that at MCO, we've done it at various other airports and it's always worked out well.

I would head over to WDW the night of arrival and just either add a night at a Disney resort or stay at a good neighbor hotel if you're cost conscious for the one night. We've traveled like that with our kids and they always fared well between plane sleeping and car/stroller naps. You know your kids best and what would work best for them but that's my two cents.

We are not lingering travelers and IMO down time at an airport hotel is a waste (especially if they are around $300/nt) and I'd rather switch it up and use it as a chance to experience another resort at Disney. We usually don't do 8 night stays either so I can imagine tacking on another night's stay is a budget concern. And if that's the case, the good neighbor hotels might be the best option if you don't mind the longer night on arrival.

I would either book that first night at Poly with the plan to let your kids sleep late the next day due to the late arrival - or stay at the Hyatt at the airport.

You are arriving at 8 pm with little ones. By the time you get bags, take a shuttle to a hotel airport, settle down, then shuttle back to the airport in the morning to catch the Magical Express - avoiding some of that hassle with three little ones and all your stuff is well-worth the slighter higher price you are going to pay at the Hyatt.

I'm not sure what type of accommodations you are paying for at Poly - but I gotta wonder the "cost" of your time that you place on moving around? Not only is it the physical time - but it's also your kids adjusting to accommodations twice. You know your kids best...... Me - I'm a grown adult and I'm willing to pay a fair amount to not have to move rooms......

I saved a boatload on flights coming in late the night before, and did the value resort route. That said my party is only 3, but I couldn't beat the price ($150 after tax), waking up going right to the park the next morning, and bell services transporting the luggage to my resort. That party of five surely makes it a tougher choice for you..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter