Where to stay?

wallskm

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We are plan if to visit WDW in January for a long weekend for the half marathon and I am starting to think of where we might like to stay. Is there anywhere you prefer to stay specifically for marathon convenience? Or convenience to the Expo? I had thought about staying at an Epcot resort so I could walk back after the race but then I got to wondering if that would even be an option. With the race starting so early I am thinking Epcot won't be open yet so there won't be any benefit to staying there.

If you stay at an Epcot resort you CAN walk from the race, but you'd need a park ticket to do so. And like you said, that's assuming you finish when the park is open (if you're super speedy fast the park may not be open yet!).

Monorail resorts are nice because you get monorail transportation to the start/from the finish for the half marathon. Epcot resorts are nice because even though you have to take a bus to/from the start, the ride is pretty short.

I've stay at Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge for race weekends, and they were all fine...I don't think you can really go wrong wherever you pick! All resorts have the transportation, just depends on where you want to stay, I guess. :)

Last edited:
I really want to stay at the Poly, and if I end up at W&D solo, I may splurge and do just that, but if not PO-FQ is my back up, if my sis joins.
@Ariel484 do you remember approx. how long getting to/from Expo and races it was?

If you stay at an Epcot resort you CAN walk to the race, but you'd need a park ticket to do so. And like you said, that's assuming you finish when the park is open (if you're super speedy fast the park may not be open yet!).

Monorail resorts are nice because you get monorail transportation to the start/from the finish for the half marathon. Epcot resorts are nice because even though you have to take a bus to/from the start, the ride is pretty short.

I've stay at Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge for race weekends, and they were all fine...I don't think you can really go wrong wherever you pick! All resorts have the transportation, just depends on where you want to stay, I guess. :)
Actually you can't Walk to the race but you can walk back to the resort after the race. At least that's how it worked last year at BC.

I've done BC and POR for marathon weekend both worked out great.

I really want to stay at the Poly, and if I end up at W&D solo, I may splurge and do just that, but if not PO-FQ is my back up, if my sis joins...@Ariel484 do you remember approx. how long getting to/from Expo and races it was?
The time to get to the races or expo depends on where you stay. Some of the expo buses share with other resorts like BC stayed with YC and BWI. Race day each resort has their own bus no sharing.

Actually you can't Walk to the race but you can walk back to the resort after the race. At least that's how it worked last year at BC.

I've done BC and POR for marathon weekend both worked out great.
ACK...you're right, I meant FROM the race. Thanks for catching that!

Have done the monorail resorts and they were easy to get to/from Marathon, just a bit of a walk and bit of a haul on the trains.

Lately have chosen the boardwalk resorts for family, it is convenient for them to sleep in a bit later then still get to see me late in the race. Stayed at BC, BW, and Swan and not any difference at all in terms of bus service, quick and painless (other than trying to climb up the bus stairs after the race).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter