Where to stop on drive down

Limmer

DIS Veteran
OK, change of plans. We were going to drive straight thru but now my Dad wants to leave REALLY early Sat morning, stop at a hotel for the night and leave early Sun morning to drive the last couple of hours. He doesn't want to arrive at WDW already wiped out. So, where can we stop that will leave us with a 4 or 5 hour drive on Sun morning? (there are four driving adults, so the length of the drive on Sat does not matter.)

Where are you leaving from & which route are you taking. We're driving down in 31 1/2 days :D & have done it several times so I may be able to help.

Lisa

If you're driving down I-75, 4-5 hours from WDW will leave you around Macon, GA. If you are driving that route, get a copy of Dave Hunter's Along Interstate 75 - I saw the current edition at a local Coles just the other day. It's a fabulous book which provides every little bit of information you'd want about I-75 between Detroit and the FL-GA border. We used it when we drove down at Christmas, and I'd never make that drive without it.

If you're travelling I-77 or I-95, you're on your own - I can't help. ;)

- Mike

We usually stop in Byron (Exit 149) which is just south of Macon, that way we are already through the city and back on the I-75 because there is a bypass that you take around Macon.

As Mike has said, if you are planning on taking the I-75 be sure to get "Along I-75", it's excellent!

Hotels in Byron are Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Econolodge. Holiday Inn, Best Western and Super 8.

Last summer, we also stopped at exit 149 in Byron, Georgia. We got the Best Western for about $55.00 (2 adults and 2 kids). It took us 5 1/2 hours to get to the Belz outlet from there, but that included a stop at Waffle House for breakfast and the mandatory stop at the Florida Welcome Center.:cool: So - I'm guessing it is actually about a 4 hour drive from there. Have a great trip!

NancyK, we also do the mandatory stop at the Florida Welcome Centre for the free orange juice and to stock up on a year's supply of reading material! ;) We also take a picture in front of the big sign to start off my photographs of the trip.

We stopped in Valdosta about maybe 20 minutes from the Fla border we stayed at a Fairfield inn the room was 43 dollars for the night. The best part was we were then only about 3 hours from WDW. You have to stop at the FLA welcome centre for your free fresh OJ.

Hi We were just down there a month ago, I feel the same as your dad, on the way home it is okay to drive thru.

We took 20 hours to drive to orlando, kissimmie from hamilton. We also had the trip tik, went thru new york, penn etc, I -77,79 and 95. Coming home we drove over to ormond beach for a night to walk the ocean, we did drive straight home, we had planned to stop when tired, but made such good time kept on going, took l9 hrs to hamilton, left at 4.50 a.m. (that was the key, leaving early, would have left earlier but kids took awhile getting ready at that time)

On the way down we drove 12 hours (got a late start) left at ll.00a.m. and arrived ll.p.m. in rock hill, s.c. stayed in country inn and suites I think 59.00 (I booked on the internet) we then had 8 more hours to go.

But if it were a perfect world, we would have left at 4.00 a.m. and driven til 8 or 9 at night. about l6 hours. Then the next day would be alot shorter.

Try to stop on the south side of a big city, so you can just get going on the hwy, and not have to go thru a city, stop at a place that has the cont breakfast, hampton inns, country inns and suites, fairfield, comfort inns for a quick start the next morning.

Sorry I cannot tell you where to stay, but look at your maps and you know rock hill is l2 hrs from hamilton, maybe that will help you, as I said we would have gone a bit further if we could have gotten away at 4 in the morning, that is usually when we go, and do the biggest push on the first day.

Wendy's are great for canadians for savings with their 99Cent menus, chili, salad, baked potatoe etc. for a quick bathroom stop and pick up a snack while travelling. Drink lots and eat light when travelling. We also took a case of bottled water for the drive down.

The hwy's are really nice in the united states, two lanes going each way, with a very wide mediun of grass, poppies in some cases, and trees, so you do not have other car lights in your eyes.

Oh it is soooo beautiful thru virginia, and west virginia, it is breathtaking, also obey the speed limit in Summersville, w. virginia, we saw police all over, even pacing people as they drove thru the town.

Have a great trip.

Deb.

We drove down to Florida this past December, and it was a beautiful drive. Be sure to stop by a Welcome Centre in the area that you plan to sleep, they have coupon books for discounts on hotels etc. It is worth the stop, as you can save quite a bit.

Cheryl-Lynne which route did you take down last December?:sunny:

We prefer the I75 route mind you we live in London so we are an hour and a half from the boarder no matter which way we go.

We went to CAA and got a "Trip Tick", they highlight your route for you. It also shows you where there are road repairs, speed traps, toll booths, restuarants, and hotels. We found it really helpful. The "Trip Tick" is about 3"x5", so there are lots of pages to turn - makes you feel good to turn a page! The route we took was I-79, I-77, I-95 (really watch your speed before Savannah, GA).
I had to do most of the driving because the roads had a lot of hills and bends (I have motion sickness). I found the drive went quickly as the scenery is so pretty. There are two tunnels you go through which cut through a mountain - that was fun! I hope this is helpful, and I hope you have a good trip. Just remember the Welcome Centres are worth the stop.
If the weather is snowy take the other route, as they do close the I-79 route. I guess the roads can get dangerous.

To add my two cents worth, "Along I-75 by Dave Hunter" is an excellent book. On our last drive down, we checked it out of the local library. With a three week check out it was more than sufficient to cover the time of our trip and saved us more than $25.

Don't miss this invaluable book!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter