• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to vacation after WDW

Pox

Earning My Ears
My wife and I (both 29) will be staying at AKL in November and have a week to play even after we leave WDW. Can anybody suggest some other places either along the Gulf Coast or the ocean? Most of the information I find out there is pretty limited to seniors, but we want someplace where we'll find lots to do, as well.

We enjoy the beaches, hiking, good dining, historical sites...

I know that I'll be heading to Kennedy Space Center, but that's just one day...

Thanks!

The Keys are awesome. Lots of warm-water beaches and places of historical interest (from Pirates to Hemingway), some nice day hikes, and a great place to just plain relax.

Something to consider, anyway!

Drive over to Tampa area - about 2 hours. Busch Gardens, wonderful beaches along Gulf Blvd - Clearwater Beach, etc., cultural events in Tampa.

Well if you have 10 hours of drive time to spare just head over to New Orleans. We have plenty of activities and food to spend all of your time after you've done Disney.

before we had the kids I would say South Beach Miami if your into night life and nice beaches. My cousin owns two nice hotels there one on ocean and the other on washington we always went there for a few days before WDW and before we had the kids. Now we just get to enjoy a night out there when visiting all the family in Miami and have them babysit. After kids we borrow his vacation condo in Naples for a few days then drive up to WDW 3-4 hrs. This year we are going to camp down in the keys at bahia honda for a few days. The campsites are right on the beach and in december during the week it's paradise even with the kids lol. Key west is also fun for adults . Duvall street is jumping at night.

I would recommend St. Augustine on the Atlantic coast (I think it's about a 3 hour drive from Orlando). St. Aug. is the oldest continuously settled city in the United States. It has beautiful beaches (favorite of DH and I is Anastasia State Park--you can rent a bike, take windsurfing lessons, camp, etc.) and lots to do--hundreds of restaurants, plus kayak tours, walking tours of the historic district, ghost tours, places where you can rent everything from scooters to bikes to windsurfers to jetskis, motor or sailboat tours, etc. Also antique shops and an outlet center if you are so inclined!

I second St. Augustine. My family stopped there for several hours last year and had a great time. We went to Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum (which was actually very interesting) and looked around at the campus of Flagler University (since my sister was thinking about going there). The city looked like ti was chock full of great restaurants and things to do, and the beach is easy to get to.

Well I would definately choose the Tampa area. I have a condo in Clearwater and I just really love it there. There are terriffic beaches, lots and lots of restaurants and of course Busch Gardens. The ocean water on the gulf side is always warmer than it is on the Atlantic side.

If you've got about 6 1/2 hours to spare come on up here to the panhandle and visit Destin and Pensacola. Both have wonderful beaches, great food, and lots to do. Destin has a bit more for activities, but Pensacola has some wonderful historical sites. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you as much info as I can.

Denise :goodvibes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter