Where would you travel late October?

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
DH & I are planners! Trying to finalize 2020 vacations as we need to put our vacation time in next month for 2020. The time that works best based on other trips we are taking in 2020 would be late October. Trying to think of ideas on places to go....

We would like something with a lot of outdoor activities (mainly hiking). Not really a city-focused trip, but a city is fine as long as outdoor stuff around (so more meaning not a trip to NYC). We live in cold climate so states that might only be a high in the low 60's is fine with us. We aren't interested in a cruise as we are already doing one in 2020 and going to WDW in 2020 so not Disney again. Oh and we have done just about everything around Vegas so that is out (meaning Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Red Rock, etc). It would also have to be a place that there is enough to do for about a week, we like to be on vacation for a full week as we feel shorter then that doesn't feel like a vacation. Open to anyplace in the US. Possibly outside US but based on vacation funds for 2020 I think that might get too costly.

Some of our ideas so far are Smokies/Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge, but we were just there a few years ago in the fall so we'd like to see someplace new. Another idea is the Blackhills/Badlands area. We were there about 10 years ago in Sept and it was nice weather. Weather might seem a little iffy though in late October (and limited attractions being open). And final thought is Branson. But it doesn't seem to be a ton of hiking, it seems like a lot of shows. But Dollywood is open then so that could be fun.

LOL hopefully I gave you enough info on what we are looking for to give some input. Thanks in advance!

If I had a week in late October, and I loved to hike (which I do), I'd go to the San Francisco Bay area, and stay in Marin County. From there, I could hike my brains out in some spectacular hiking areas...literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails in that County, with more hiking than you could do in a year, let alone a week. Mt Tam State Park, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Point Reyes, Marin County Open Space, Mt. Burdell, and on and on. Seriously amazing hiking...redwood forests, to dramatic ocean vistas and secluded beaches. Plus, of course, wine country 45 minutes away. San Francisco 20 minutes away. What's not to like? Weather in October can be prime. After summer fog season, before winter fog season.

To get you started:
https://www.hikingproject.com/directory/8012162/marin-county
The Black Hills can be sketchy at that time of year. It could be perfect weather, or it could be knee deep in snow. It would be a crap shoot.

I’d pick Maui any time of the year, but that’s my favourite place. It might be too far for only a week though. It’s also pretty pricey, but I don’t know your budget. You can hike there. The biggest problem is once you’ve been you’ll want to go all the time. However people have given you some good ideas here.

If you like beaches, Hilton Head Island is nice that time. Plus there are bike paths all over the island to hike or ride bikes. And it is only a half hour from Savannah which is a charming southern city. There is also tennis galore as well as zip lining and an adventure course. Lots of shopping and great restaurants too.

We go to Bar Harbor every year around that time. Usually a few weeks earlier than that. But still would be nice.

Banff National Park in Alberta for hiking
The weather at that time of year will have already turned. There will definitely be snow in the mountains and below-freezing temperatures at least over night. The trees will have lost their leaves and the landscape will be basically brown-and-grey. The mountains are always majestic but "shoulder season" isn't an optimum time to visit.

Myself, I'd head down to San Diego, CA. The weather there is lovely year-round and there's definitely enough to do to stay active for a week. :wave2:

We are going to Sedona and Phoenix at the end of October. It fits your hiking criteria. Since this is my first time going, I can’t rate it yet though:)

I would go somewhere in southern Europe - none of the summer crowds or heat. Greece, Spain, Portugal, or Italy maybe.
Agree and will bet you cheaper in the end then any westcoast trip. Even with airfare. Which in Oct can be cheap. Look up Cinque Terre.

I like the Hilton Head suggestion from earlier up thread, and throw in a couple day trips to Savannah since it's less than an hour drive.

Me, I'm dying to do a Boston/Salem trip in October. My DD16 was trying to convince me we need to do a girl's trip there in the fall.

Wow everyone thanks for all the recommendations! I didn't even think of Hilton Head / Savannah / Charleston area. I know the DISfolks would know some places we didn't think of. I just checked their average Oct temps and it says ideal time to visit. And we have never been to those places.

Banff looks amazing but I think the weather might be a little too sketchy for them. The San Francisco area would be great, we've visited before around Thanksgiving and great weather. But next time we head out that way we want to combine it with Yosemite and Half Dome hike pulls it rungs to get up the final leg mid October, bummer. The Maine idea is also really good, we've been wanting to go to Acadia but thought maybe that would be too late in the year, looks like great time to visit.

I’d pick Maui any time of the year, but that’s my favourite place. It might be too far for only a week though. It’s also pretty pricey, but I don’t know your budget. You can hike there. The biggest problem is once you’ve been you’ll want to go all the time. However people have given you some good ideas here.

HA! Love Hawaii and thought of Big Island. DH is a hard no on HI. We lived on Oahu when he was stationed there and we've been back to visit many times. He said we need to visit other places before going back. I agree, with the cost we can do a lot of other great trips. Maui is my favorite island there. I just wanted Big Island since we were only there once vs multiple times to Maui and Kauai (well and Oahu).

Try NC- the mountains and beaches are beautiful for outdoor enjoyment that time of year!

Shenandoah National Park or Great Smoky Mountain NP. Or both, driving Blue Ridge Parkway from one to the other, with many stops along the way: Luray caverns, Charlottesville, Asheville, etc. Beautiful fall foliage and tons of good hiking trails.

Crete...was my first full blown 'real' Greek experience and so it has a very special place in my heart.
I just love the spectacular mountains and gorges but also that quirky Cretan character. Most of my favorite memories are about close encounters with the most extraordinary people in the most unexpected places. I also want to add this website https://aktis.taxi/ Maybe it will be useful for someone.

Last edited:
Bar Harbor, Maine!
::yes:: Or Vermont, or even better, New Hampshire. Green Mountains vs White Mountains; Ben & Jerry's vs Stonyfield Yogurt; Lake Champlain vs Atlantic Ocean...

Probably not, since you live up north, but if you're interested in foliage this map https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/ let's you choose a week via the slide bar underneath. This year, peak season through, well, much of the country is predicted that week.

Me, I'm dying to do a Boston/Salem trip in October.
Nooooooo! Please, no!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter