Which are the best carriages on Eurostar?

Belle's World

DIS Veteran
I finally managed to book my tickets today. In the past I have heard people say that some carriages are better than others. I am presuming this is due to location on the platform but do tell me if there are other reasons. We will have an 18 month old without a seat so where would the best place to sit? Which carriage will be nearest the lift etc. Any advice gratefully received.

The only help I can give is to book carriage 1 for the way home. This way, you should be one of the first in to the passport checking area and won't have to wait for upwards of half an hour (as we did the first time) to get back through in to the main area of St Pancras, which I would imagine would be helpful with a little one!

For my 3 trips so far using the eurostar i have pre-booked these seats for each trip:

carriage 14, seats 41, 42 45, and 46. Four seats around a proper table complete with handy electrical sockets, great for keeping the kids entertained with their Nintendo DS's.. etc...

Also you have a lot more legroom when you have a table seat. And ive found carriage 14 very handy as its right next to the buffet coach which is carriage 13.

We will have dd who is only just 2, on our laps. We haven't booked table seats as if the train got fully booked we'd end up with a wriggly toddler between us and a table. So we've booked seats at the end of a carriage, can't remember what numbers but they're next to the bigger luggage racks which I thought would be handy for keeping an eye on the luggage/buggy. Theres 9 of us travelling this time so we've taken up a few seats :)

Should have said we will be getting on and off at Ebbsfleet.

We are also going from ebbsfleet ~ i phoned eurostar to get help with booking us a table set of seats and they said for ebbsfleet it doesnt really matter what carriage you are seated in, theres no real advantage of any particular carriage for getting on or off there.

We are also going from ebbsfleet ~ i phoned eurostar to get help with booking us a table set of seats and they said for ebbsfleet it doesnt really matter what carriage you are seated in, theres no real advantage of any particular carriage for getting on or off there.

Although I've not got Eurostar from here I have got the high speed into London from this station and I agree with what you have been told as Ebbsfleet is open platform like Ashford plus Its not end of the line so in theory shouldn't be as many getting on and off so Passport should be easier to negotiate. Do they not just check on the train?

We're getting on at Ebbsfleet this time too. Does anyone know if the platform is marked with the carriage numbers as it is at Ashford? I found that really handy for knowing where to stand!

We travelled from Ebbsfleet last week. You go through passport control before you get through to the waiting lounge (that's both French and British), so you don't do any further checks.

When you descend the escalators(or lift) to the platform you arrive pretty much in the middle of all the carriages, all the carriage numbers are clearly marked on the platform floor. When you find your carriage there are luggage racks at either end and Ive found the ones upon entrance are often filled up from those who boarded at St Pancras, so don't panic, you'll probably find the luggage rack at the other end of the carriage to be empty. There is plenty of storage above the seats for coats and smaller bags as well.

If you booked your tickets direct with Eurostar you can always change your seats online near to your departure dates and try to make sure you have empty seats near you, you then may not have to have the toddler on your lap. Obviously if the train is full you may not have that option but worth a try.

We always select our seats within a carriage or two of the buffet one so we don't have so far to walk if we want anything, there are 2 and they are marked on the seating plans

I was just looking through a website with helpful hints on regarding the eurostar, and came across this...

If you've small children, book seats in cars 1 or 18 (standard class) as these are near the baby-changing room, and are at each end of the train so have less people walking through them to the bar. These cars have lots of bays of 4 seats (with or without a table, your choice), which are much better for families than face-to-back airline-style seating.

stk31 said:
We travelled from Ebbsfleet last week. You go through passport control before you get through to the waiting lounge (that's both French and British), so you don't do any further checks.

When you descend the escalators(or lift) to the platform you arrive pretty much in the middle of all the carriages, all the carriage numbers are clearly marked on the platform floor. When you find your carriage there are luggage racks at either end and Ive found the ones upon entrance are often filled up from those who boarded at St Pancras, so don't panic, you'll probably find the luggage rack at the other end of the carriage to be empty. There is plenty of storage above the seats for coats and smaller bags as well.

If you booked your tickets direct with Eurostar you can always change your seats online near to your departure dates and try to make sure you have empty seats near you, you then may not have to have the toddler on your lap. Obviously if the train is full you may not have that option but worth a try.

We always select our seats within a carriage or two of the buffet one so we don't have so far to walk if we want anything, there are 2 and they are marked on the seating plans

That's great to know the carriage numbers are also displayed at Ebbsfleet :) our train is looking fairly quiet as yet, I keep having a peek on the seat chart on my eurostar account.

Thanks for all the replies. We are currently in coach 2 to go out and 14 to return, think I will change these so I am nearer the baby changing.
Does anyone know which coach would be nearest the lift when you get to disneyland?

Hi there

I found the agent Eurostar chart quite useful when booking our seats, as the seat maps on Eurostar itself aren't accurate. Especially on the window positioning.

I purposely picked seats in the carriage next to the Buffet/Bar Cart.

I did this because it means the doors you enter get more space to put your luggage as your not having to share it with the other carriage. Thought this would be a useful note as your getting on at Ebsfleet.

http://www.eurostar4agents.com/files/Eurostar_seat_plan_UK.pdf

We always sit in carriage 5 next to the buffet car as it has power sockets, which come in handy for charging up your phone or pad.

We try to sit on the coach next to the buffet bar. Do not sit on the last carriage, we did last time and so uncomfortable. the seats were fold down,temporary ones and felt like they were slanted and not very strong and the table wasn't full size either.

We've recently booked and have been allocated the 4 seats around a table in the middle of carriage 2. It looked like there were just 2 sets of 4 seats in this carriage, whereas carriage 3 was mostly sets of 4 seats. Our booking said that the baby change station was at the end of the carriage but I think it might actually be in carriage 3. The buffet I think was in carriage 6 but I'll just send DH and DD down for supplies!

Incidentally we booked a seat for our 2.5 year old as although he would go free we thought it would be easier to get a seat for him - having booked for 4 I guess this is why were allocated the 4 seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter