Which charities do you donate to, and why?

DisneyFan32WI

Grumpy Cat
........and do you tend to give more around the holidays?

I'll go first.

I think I like animals more than I do people, so I donate to our local Humane Society. For Christmas, both my girls will be getting the gift of adopting an animal through the WWF. It comes with a stuffed plush that is adorable! https://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/species-adoptions/panda.aspx

I also donate to our Catholic church..... and our local Alzheimer’s Association through work by participating in an annual 5K walk, bake sales, etc.

I give throughout the year. I wish I could do more.

Last edited:
Hi! I give mostly to United Way. We have workplace matching and sometimes if I donate to specific items my employer doubles the match such that three times what i donate goes to the organization. I find United Way focuses on important local charities so I feel like my money has a greater impact.

I also donate to the hydrocephalus association, my kids schools, and activities my kids are participating in like little league or scouts.

Our church.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, because we have known several children who have gone there for serious conditions.

We sponsor a child through World Vision.

Various local area domestic abuse shelters, since we have known several people who had suffered from abusive situations at home. Mostly during the winter holiday season.

Then other various charities as needs arise.

I also tend to like animals more than people, so I donate to local animal shelters when I can. We also frequently do holiday fundraisers for underprivileged children in the are through work, so I will donate to those as well. I just 'adopted' a child through work for Christmas!

I also tend to like animals more than people, so I donate to local animal shelters when I can. We also frequently do holiday fundraisers for underprivileged children in the are through work, so I will donate to those as well. I just 'adopted' a child through work for Christmas!

I do like the adopt a child program. We are also sponsoring a family through our Rotary club this holiday season. It is for a single mother with 5 children. Lord knows she could use a little help!

I do like the adopt a child program. We are also sponsoring a family through our Rotary club this holiday season. It is for a single mother with 5 children. Lord knows she could use a little help!
We've adopted two children through my wife's work. We have done the Salvation Army Angel Tree in the past, but decided to go with a different local shelter this year.

We have a county board of churches (a non-denominational council that works with all of the county churches) that is putting together homeless survival packs which will get distributed in early December. So we are donating items to that, too.

We donate to our Church year round. Through work, we contribute to a local Food Bank, school supply drive for disadvantaged kids and holiday wishes also for poor kids. We also donate to Touching Tiny Lives. This is a 503c charity started by a family in our parish to help kids who were orphaned or afflicted at birth with Aids in the country of Lethoso (adjacent to South Africa).

Mostly through our church. We also do the giving tree through church.

We donate in support of personal projects by people we care about, supporting Eagle Scout projects, school organizations, mission trips etc.

We give to Catholic Charities, we like the work that they do and I can have it taken right out of my check.

Then we choose two charities a year. Most years it changes, but sometimes we keep a charity around for another year.

The year my parents died (2011), we donated to St Jude Hospitals and Wounded Warrior. They were Mom and Dad's favorite charities.

Some years the charities are more local.

Give Kids the World - throughout the year
Local animal shelters - throughout the year
Hospital of U. Penn - New Bolton Center (large animals)
Cancer
Kidney
Alzheimer’s
MS Society

Boys and Girls Club
Planned Parenthood
ACLU
NPR
Local animal shelter

Mostly though, the women's shelter and outreach program that I also volunteer with a few days a week is where the majority of my money and all my volunteer time goes. It's my charitable passion. I do give more at this time a year as several of us "volunteer" for emergency responses in terms of holiday celebrations for women/families who are suddenly displaced at the holidays, which happens frequently. That stuff is variable, but some of us are willing to step up for the unexpected at the holidays. While we get more resources around the holidays, it can also drive demand for our services that can outstrip those increased resources. Some years that's not been the case. I'm always hopeful though!

I donate to a bunch of pet rescues. Leave no Paws behind is one. They go and get the oldest dogs that no one wants. They have a whole foster system. Another is Josh and his Critters. The lady who runs it, Tina, rescues the worst medical cases. Both of those are based in California. I also support Mill Dog Rescue and Beagle Freedom Project.

Local Humane Society - that’s where both our dogs have come from.
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Loving Hearts (feeds the hungry)

I specifically avoid United Way - previous hung ho employer left a bad taste in my mouth. No offense; I know they do good things.

I give monthly donations to St Jude, local PBS station, ACLU, and World Central Kitchen. I also donate some money to my kid's PTA, and generally give a yearly something to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!