which club level? PBR, HR or RP?

emmabelle

Crazy cat lady who loves Disney
Thinking of doing a club level stay at the end of November for four nights. We really enjoy club level at Disney but the prices are getting out of hand. We could do it at Universal for probably $800 to $1,000 less.

Portofino - $1616
Hard Rock - $1526
Royal Pacific - $1328

Any opinions?

We've done CL at Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, and the Yacht Club. It looks like it's very similar at Universal. We do like hanging out at the resort, we've been to the parks so many times that it's not a priority.

We have done CL at all of the Disney Resorts that you mentioned except GF and BW.

We stayed CL at Royal Pacific and think that it is on par and possibly better then Disney.

The pros are the food, there are more choices of "real food" not just chips or dummies all during the day. The night time offering can be a light meal. They also have bottled water.

The alcohol service is limited though. I think there a two hour window in the evening when you can get complementary wine and beer. You can also pay for spirits during that time.

I think it's totally worth a shot.

Have fun whatever you decide.

It seems like a good deal for club level.

Even with a discount at WDW, I'd probably have to take a standard view room for $1328.

The only true difference between them is that the club room for Portofino is off of the lobby area. Your room could, in theory, be anywhere in the resort. So the walk to the club room might be an issue (and more so if you have kids that want to use it themselves). The plus to this is that the club room is easy to get to when returning from the parks as it is so close to the lobby.

The other two have club rooms on a floor where all the rooms are assigned for club level. We were put on one floor lower once, and the room key was encoded to allow the elevator to stop at the club floor. When we stayed three doors down from the club room, the teens just kept using it to pop in and out the whole stay.

And all are great, you will not regret either choice.

sounds similar to Disney. We had a 1 bedroom club room at WL last November and it was on the second floor and the club room was on the seventh. I found it to be kind of inconvenient. Thanks for the info!

I haven’t stayed at the Royal Pacific club level, so I can’t comment there. Sorry. But I have stayed at both Hard Rock and Portofino, and for my money, the Club level at Portofino is the best.

The Club lounge itself at Portofino is much nicer. It’s larger than Hard Rock and as a living room-like couch area with television for seating. In Hard Rock, the room is much smaller, and there are music videos being played on the TVs throughout; no option for anything else….just music videos. One of my better memories of the Portofino club was watching the summer Olympics in 2016 with people from all over the world. That is something that wouldn’t have happened at Hard Rock.

I found that the food at Portofino provided more options. Now, I was at Hard Rock only once, but two of the three appetizer nights featured chicken wings. Hopefully they’ve added more variety, but in my experience, this was a problem. This has not been an issue at Portofino, where each night seemed to have a different theme. Also, if you’re partaking in adult beverages, Portofino offers Peroni, a personal favorite of mine.

The location of the Portofino club, which is not always on the same floor as your room, has been mentioned in some places a drawback. In my experience, it isn’t. The Club rooms are nearby, and never more than a two minute walk, elevator ride included. Hard Rock Club is indeed on the same floor as your room.

The Club staff at both locations were absolutely excellent.

We have stayed at many of the CL rooms that you mentioned at Disney (BWI being our favorite) and at the Portofino at Universal. I love the BWI CL but the CL food at Portofino just blows Disney out of the water. Breakfast is scrambled eggs and hash browns along with a large variety of muffins, bagels, and cold cereals in individual boxes. They also have a large variety of fresh fruit and a selection of cold meats. Afternoon snacks are individually wrapped Peppridge Farm cookies and bags of chips. Night time offerings are easily a meal and though they do pour the wine for you they often walked over to our table offering to top off our glasses. They always had at least three hot offerings and a couple of cold salads along with cheese and cold cuts and a variety of crackers. My only complaint is that the cans of soda and bottles of water are sitting warm on the counter so you are forced to pour it into a cup and add ice to it.

Have a great time!

Hi - we just returned from staying CL at Portofino about a week ago. I loved the hotel! But, I have to say that we were very disappointed with the offerings at Portofino CL. To us - it wasn't on par with Disney at all. And, I had been hearing the opposite so I was really excited to try it. The had a very small selection of offerings and they were not appealing. There was nothing there that would even come close to a meal...it was barely a snack. We still had a great stay and the lounge is beautiful. But, the offerings were really slim.

Hi - we just returned from staying CL at Portofino about a week ago. I loved the hotel! But, I have to say that we were very disappointed with the offerings at Portofino CL. To us - it wasn't on par with Disney at all. And, I had been hearing the opposite so I was really excited to try it. The had a very small selection of offerings and they were not appealing. There was nothing there that would even come close to a meal...it was barely a snack. We still had a great stay and the lounge is beautiful. But, the offerings were really slim.

That's very different from our experience last September - I wonder if changes have been made?

Has anyone else been recently? Perhaps someone who can compare it to a previous trip?

OP - I'm sorry that it didn't live up to your expectations :(

We still had an amazing time. Love the resort and the trip was fantastic. I had always heard that club level at Universal is even better than club level at Disney so I was super excited. My husband and kids felt the same that I did.

I have only done club level at hrh and rpr
Enjoyed them both very much
Both had different style of offerings

Italian food choices are a dietary issue with me so I have zero experience of pbh club level food offerings

I have read some trip reports of those that have stayed at club level at pbh
Some peeps included photos of the offerings

Take a look at that forum and it may guide you to make a decision

And compare the reports of the other two hotel food offerings

At all three hotels, club lounge afternoon snacks seem quite limited to me

Some have crustables, cookies, pretzels and chips out for the guests

All do have soda, water bottles (small), coffee and tea always

that's a bummer if you were expecting more....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I keep hearing it's better or equal to Disneys CL too.

We're at the Portofino right now and our room is extremely far away from the lounge. The lounge is on the lobby level and we are on another floor in the Villas wing at the very end of a very long hallway. Going to the lounge is very inconvenient. Not at all like most Disney club lounges. Once we're in our room it's not worth the long trek down to the lounge. The afternoon offerings are very limited. Mostly packaged snacks and sodas. The breakfast is good, but otherwise not worth the cost for us. I don't think we will be booking club level again.

Haven't stayed at CL at WDW, but we just returned from a 3 night stay CL at RPR. We really enjoyed the breakfasts, as we hit it up every morning. We also got bottled water there (you have to ask specifically for it). We also liked being about to get milk for our daughter (again, have to ask after breakfast, but the team members were fast and kind). The dinners were hit or miss (liked Mexican night; didn't care for Greek night). The sweets, however, were tasty, and we all enjoyed a cookie before bed. Also, the room itself was only a few feet from the room, so it was convenient for us to pop in for a coffee or Coke whenever the mood struck. We had low expectations so we were pleasantly surprised.

We have one stay at the Poly CL and one stay at PBH under our belts. Outside of the area, we always stay CL at Starwood and Marriott properties so I have experienced many, many lounges over the years.

The only true difference between them is that the club room for Portofino is off of the lobby area. Your room could, in theory, be anywhere in the resort. So the walk to the club room might be an issue (and more so if you have kids that want to use it themselves). The plus to this is that the club room is easy to get to when returning from the parks as it is so close to the lobby.

The other two have club rooms on a floor where all the rooms are assigned for club level. We were put on one floor lower once, and the room key was encoded to allow the elevator to stop at the club floor. When we stayed three doors down from the club room, the teens just kept using it to pop in and out the whole stay.

And all are great, you will not regret either choice.

I was worried about being too far from the lounge during our stay but it wasn't an issue. We weren't super close but the proximity to the main area of the resort was such a plus, we used the lounge coming and going every day.

We have stayed at many of the CL rooms that you mentioned at Disney (BWI being our favorite) and at the Portofino at Universal. I love the BWI CL but the CL food at Portofino just blows Disney out of the water. Breakfast is scrambled eggs and hash browns along with a large variety of muffins, bagels, and cold cereals in individual boxes. They also have a large variety of fresh fruit and a selection of cold meats. Afternoon snacks are individually wrapped Peppridge Farm cookies and bags of chips. Night time offerings are easily a meal and though they do pour the wine for you they often walked over to our table offering to top off our glasses. They always had at least three hot offerings and a couple of cold salads along with cheese and cold cuts and a variety of crackers. My only complaint is that the cans of soda and bottles of water are sitting warm on the counter so you are forced to pour it into a cup and add ice to it.

Have a great time!

The staff was extremely generous with the wine and beer offerings. During our stay, they were always walking around offering refills. Considering these were included, I was very surprised by how generous they were with the pours. Someone on this forum mentioned they would get to-go cups and I am very happy I learned that before our trip! Most nights we got another wine to go and walked around the property before dinner or going back to the park.

My thoughts on Disney vs. Loews/Universal CLs:

Staff at both worked very hard. At the Poly, the hoards of people pillaging the buffet every morning was just too much for them to keep up with. At PBH, the staff was able to keep everything filled.

Food offerings. This is an area where expectations differ. I view the lounge as a place to grab a quick, basic breakfast, a pre-dinner snack and drink as well as an area to relax outside of the room. I don't expect or want to use it as a real meal. All that being said, I thought Poly's offerings were good enough, on par with a basic Marriott. I thought the PBH were on par with the higher end hotels in the Starwood and Marriott brands with more selections and better quality of food - the hot offerings and baked goods in particular. I really disliked the plastic and paper products at the Poly and appreciated real plates, flatware and glasses at PBH.

My husband really dislikes lounge breakfasts and he willingly ate at the PBH every morning but one.

Both stays were over the same time period - Thanksgiving week. the Poly in 2015, PBH in 2016

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter