Which DVC resort at Xmas?

vassar36

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Need help!!!
I am trying to decide before our 7 month window opens if we should try and switch our resort for Xmas week. We have a 1 bdrm at BRV booked for Xmas week.

Last year we went during Xmas and loved it, we stayed at Beach Club which was great for the ability to walk to HS for our one and only RD. Also we loved being able to walk to Epcot for the food booths and walk to restaurants at WS at night. But now I don't know if we should switch it up for something new?
(we haven't stayed at BRV in at least 6 years, so would love to see Gyser point and all the changes but I am afraid that the bus transportation will be really bad for that time.)

A little about us: 2 adults & 2 teens (15 & 17 yrs). Been to WDW multiple times and we usually go once a year or once every 2 years. Last Xmas when we were there we didn't focus on the rides so much (outside of our FPP). We mainly concentrated on decorations, holiday shows, report pool, food booths, parades, night time shows, and of course, this year, we want to see Star wars land. We plan to have the same focus this year.

What would you do?

Honestly, you may not be able to switch. With SWGE open, a lot of DVC owners may use that week to use some points and come see it. I would stay where you are.

When I read the title, I immediately thought, "Best resort at Christmas? Wilderness Lodge!" We were at DW 17/18 Christmas/NY. While we usually stay at our home resort BWV, we visited WL and were blown away by the Christmas theming. Just my opinion.

But now I don't know if we should switch it up for something new?
(we haven't stayed at BRV in at least 6 years, so would love to see Gyser point and all the changes but I am afraid that the bus transportation will be really bad for that time.)

Bus service at Wilderness Lodge/BRV/CCV is no better or worse than any other resort. The time of year won't have much impact on the timing of buses, but yes they will be more full if the resorts are more full.

If walking to parks is something that is important, then the Wilderness Lodge campus will not meet your needs. But if you want a resort which has theming that was just built for Christmas decorations, it would be hard to beat WL/BRV/CCV. I agree with others that your options at the 7 month mark will be very limited. I'd stick with BRV and enjoy the amenities of the resort during Christmas season.

I'm wondering if OP is inundated with PMs to trade reservations, lol. We are staying at VGF over Christmas but will likely do a meal or 2 at WL that week. Our kids love Artist Point and Whispering Canyon. I'd say Grand Floridian gives WL a run for its money in holiday decorations, but in a totally different style. But those rooms are G-O-N-E as well.

We are staying at VGF over Christmas but will likely do a meal or 2 at WL that week. Our kids love Artist Point and Whispering Canyon.

Just wanted to be sure that you know that Artist Point is now a Snow White character meal...not the signature restaurant that it used to be. My guess is you already know that but you know what they say about assuming. :)

I'd say Grand Floridian gives WL a run for its money in holiday decorations, but in a totally different style. But those rooms are G-O-N-E as well.

I agree Grand Floridian decorations are wonderful....I just meant that the Lodge just has a great theme of the Great Northwest that fits beautifully with the Christmas decorations. The Grand Floridian lends its elegance to a beautiful, but different kind of feel, IMHO. :)

Just wanted to be sure that you know that Artist Point is now a Snow White character meal...not the signature restaurant that it used to be. My guess is you already know that but you know what they say about assuming. :)

I agree Grand Floridian decorations are wonderful....I just meant that the Lodge just has a great theme of the Great Northwest that fits beautifully with the Christmas decorations. The Grand Floridian lends its elegance to a beautiful, but different kind of feel, IMHO. :)

Thanks, and yes to both points!

We tried the new Artist Point last month and we loved it! We had also been to AP when it was the signature restaurant, and I think the quality of the food is as good and maybe even better. The character interaction with The Queen is hilarious.

I also agree with you on the holiday decorations at the Lodge - we were there last Thanksgiving for 2 meals in a 5 day span, and again for Artist Point on our last trip. W took lots of pictures last November. Someday it would be nice to stay there over the holidays, but we'll need to get tired of our home resorts first (and then possible looking into renting points or something).

Thanks for all the replies. I tend to second guess myself and what would be best for the family. Of course, I can't ask them because right now this trip is a surprise, so I really do appreciate all the feedback.
I do love the lodge, and the Xmas decorations are fabulous. I was mainly concerned about the transportation during this time of year. When we were there last time at Xmas, we heard that the roads were really backed up with all the traffic, which made me concerned about the buses.

You are right to be concerned about the traffic/roads. The roads were at a complete standstill. We tried to get from Epcot to WL for an ADR for AP for NYE. In order for to board the monorail, we had to provide our reservation number. We were the only people on the monorail. They were not allowing anyone to board the monorail as MK was closed to guests. It was crazy. You would have boat access to MK, though. I guess you would need to be strategic about where you think you will want to be most of the time.

I'd stay put. Availability might be tight this year (at least it seems to be thus far). SWGE will be a madhouse that week and the convenience of entering Epcot via the International Gateway from a Crescent Lake resort is a bit unknown as of now (with the new gondolas servicing many more resorts, look for a huge pickup in traffic through that gateway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!