Which DVC resort for young teens?

Sammy

DIS Veteran
We are members who will be traveling to WDW in late February. We have 2 young teens (13 and 15) and are trying to decide which resort to stay in this time. Because we've been several times over the years, we don't spend as much time in the parks anymore and are looking for other things to do. Any suggestions on resorts or areas good for these ages?

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated!!

TIA!
Sammy

If you are comfortable with them going off by themselves, then I would recommend SSR. I like the idea of my boys having the freedom to move around WDW independently when they are older. There are busses and boats and trains and paths.

SSR is close to DTD and the Waterparks and the busses to the parks are direct. DTD is like a mall to young people with movies, restaurants, Virgin MegaStore and Disney Quest. There is also the boat to DTD OKW and POR.

SSR also has a Community Hall, Basketball and Tennis Courts and Bike Rentals.
Pool Table in the Turf Club, also several swimming pools (including the main pool) that are well lit at night. We love SAB at BC, but it closes early alot and the quiet pool lights go out by 11 pm so rarely are we able to take midnight swims. SSR built the CP quiet pool away from guest rooms and those guest rooms are sound proofed to buffer noise from DTD, so a dip in the pool at midnight doesnt disturb guests. I havent stayed in the other areas yet, Congress Park is our favorite.

Typhoon Lagoon is across the street from DTD so again lots to do in the neighborhood.

I have to agree with SSR. My 3 teens absolutely insist on SSR because of access to downtown disney.

WE were able to allow our 14yo to go to mgm on her own because we were so close .
Epcot resort area is a huge area and plenty of opportunity to explore.

I would go with BWV or SSR.

BWV ... MGM and Epcot close boat or walking
the boardwalk night life
Spoodles pizza
ESPN
nice pools and community hall

SSR ....DTD close boat or walk Disney quest/Mc Donalds/movies/shopping
Cool main pool and quiet pool
water parks near by
Turf club/ pool table
community hall and arcade by the main pool

My favorite is SSR. I have a 14, 13, 11 year olds and they like SSR the best also. We stayed at BWV last year and had a great time. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the resorts! :love:

Wow! Thanks, guys. I have to admit I never even had SSR on my radar! I'll have to reconsider my choices....it sounds like SSR would be very attractive to my teens and my 10 year old! How is the construction going over there? Where is a nice (read: not much construction noise, nice view etc) area/building to request?

I'd suggest BCV if they like to swim. It's easy to spend many hours in Stormalong Bay, and Boardwalk, Epcot and MGM are right nearby.

Another vote for BCV. My teen grandaughter and her best friend loved to swim at StormAlongBay. And at night they enjoyed the boardwalk.

Boardwalk for teens! Can walk to Epcot and MGM and has alot of stuff to do.

At what age do you let teens go around by themselves? We own at BCVs and I have twins who are 12 this year so I won't be letting them go off by themselves, and probably won't next year either, but wondering about age 14. Is it common for 14 year olds to go to the pool and walk around by themselves at the resorts? Just trying to think ahead to the future.

Thanks,
DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter