Which DVC Resort to Buy?

coolingjupiter

Mouseketeer
Hi there! So I know that this question is so incredibly subjective based on personal preferences and preferred resorts, but what home resort do you think makes the most sense to purchase?

A little background on my traveling to Disney: I caught the Disney Parks bug about five years ago and it has worked out that I've visited a Disney park once a year since then (four times WDW and once DLR) and really can't get enough. I have always booked value resorts as I tend to spend most of my time in the parks and they are usually shorter trips (3-4 days). However, I am in love with the moderate/deluxe resorts and have always wanted to stay in them, but they are more cost-prohibitive and it never really made sense if I wasn't going to be enjoying the resort. However, I'd like to upgrade my accommodations and take longer trips in the future and if I'm planning on going once a year doing this ad infinitum, it just makes sense to consider purchasing DVC points. I have done some research, including watching The DVC Show on the DIS Unplugged YouTube channel, and I have decided it makes the most sense to purchase resale as I do not really need any of the perks of going through Disney. I understand that by purchasing through resale, I will now only have access to the 14 original resorts. However, since I've never stayed at any one of them, I really don't have a preference for which one I like the most. Yes, walking to parks is a unique perk, but taking Disney transportation has never particularly bothered me, especially now with Minnie-vans and such. I also understand that I will only be able to book my home resort 11-months in advance and the rest of the 14 only 7-months in advance. In my research, I have found that some people say that there are some resorts that are much more difficult to book at certain times of the year only 7 months in advance and if you wanted to stay there, you really needed to have booked 11-months in advance.

The thing is, I don't really see myself going to the same resort every year. I would love to stay at a different hotel each year. So basically, I am not just considering which home resort is the best bang for my buck (and last the longest, especially since some expire in 2042), but one that kind of needs to be my home resort because if I ever plan on staying there, I would need to book 11 months in advance...but I wouldn't always being staying there, so I'm not sure if this is something I really need to worry about. I hope that my question makes sense and if the answer is that I still just need to do more research because I am still completely and totally naive, that's fine.

Thanks so much in advance!

The key question is when you travel and if you're flexible.
Peak DVC season, until this year, has always between the end of September and mid January. During this "fall frenzy" it's difficult to switch resort at 7 months. You may be lucky with the biggest resorts or with a waitlist, but mostly you'll stay in your home resort. The same is true for most race week ends and a few holidays.
The rest of the year it's not too difficult to switch resort.

But that may change, for example this year late January has been very busy. It might be a temporary Star Wars Land effect, but who knows? Also, booking studios is getting more and more difficult.

However, since I've never stayed at any one of them, I really don't have a preference for which one I like the most.

In this case SSR is your best option, best combination of cheap buy in and low maintenance fees. BLT is close second, with the advantage of being walkable to one park and longer contract duration. Those are your best options to buy points to "sleep around".

The key question is when you travel and if you're flexible.
Peak DVC season, until this year, has always between the end of September and mid January. During this "fall frenzy" it's difficult to switch resort at 7 months. You may be lucky with the biggest resorts or with a waitlist, but mostly you'll stay in your home resort. The same is true for most race week ends and a few holidays.
The rest of the year it's not too difficult to switch resort.

But that may change, for example this year late January has been very busy. It might be a temporary Star Wars Land effect, but who knows? Also, booking studios is getting more and more difficult.

In this case SSR is your best option, best combination of cheap buy in and low maintenance fees. BLT is close second, with the advantage of being walkable to one park and longer contract duration. Those are your best options to buy points to "sleep around".

Thank you SO much for your response. I should probably have added that it is usually a trip for me and my husband, myself and a friend, or a combination of the two. Also, I’m a teacher, so the summer is really the only time I could go for long periods of time or at some point during the school year for a shorter period of time (two days and a weekend at most).

It’s funny you mentioned about the studios because I’m watching another video and they are talking about how hard they are to get. Yikes!

I agree with zavandor.

I will add the traditional rules of DVC:

If you love Beach Club (for example) and would be disappointed not to get it, buy there even if it expires in 2042 and book early. "Buy where you want to stay."

Alternatively, if you are happy at SSR but want to try other resorts if possible, then buy SSR. "Buy where you don't mind staying." If you travel in the summer, you'll probably have a lot of options. (But don't complain if you wind up "stuck" at SSR. It can happen.)

I agree with zavandor.

I will add the traditional rules of DVC:

If you love Beach Club (for example) and would be disappointed not to get it, buy there even if it expires in 2042 and book early. "Buy where you want to stay."

Alternatively, if you are happy at SSR but want to try other resorts if possible, then buy SSR. "Buy where you don't mind staying." If you travel in the summer, you'll probably have a lot of options. (But don't complain if you wind up "stuck" at SSR. It can happen.)

Thank you. I think my research now just needs to be looking at each resort and figuring out what I think would be a good resort. I don’t know that I’d ever complain about whatever resort I picked because, at the end of the day, it’s going to be a vast improvement over the places I’ve been staying AND I do spend a lot of time in the parks, so the resort never mattered much to me before.

It’s funny you mentioned about the studios because I’m watching another video and they are talking about how hard they are to get. Yikes!

I think the difficulty of switching resort is a bit overestimated here on the DISboards. This September I have booked a split stay (by design) at the value trifecta: BLT standard, BWV standard and AKV Value, 4 nights each. Those are categories that you'll read here that are "impossible to get".
However, as I said I'm flexible and I adjust my travel time to when I think I'll have the better chances. Summer currently is one of the easiest periods to book other resorts. It may change if DVC reallocate the seasons to better reflect booking patterns (i.e. increase the fall cost and decrease summer).

Thank you. I think my research now just needs to be looking at each resort and figuring out what I think would be a good resort. I don’t know that I’d ever complain about whatever resort I picked because, at the end of the day, it’s going to be a vast improvement over the places I’ve been staying AND I do spend a lot of time in the parks, so the resort never mattered much to me before.

After buying DVC you'll find yourself slowing down and enjoying the resort more. I used to go park commando, rope drop till you drop, every day for 2 weeks. Now a mid day nap and pool time is a must do. Why stress out if you know you'll be back next year? You may not believe it, but it's possible to come back from a WDW vacation rested and relaxed! :D

After buying DVC you'll find yourself slowing down and enjoying the resort more. I used to go park commando, rope drop till you drop, every day for 2 weeks. Now a mid day nap and pool time is a must do. Why stress out if you know you'll be back the next year? You may not believe it, but it's possible to come back from a WDW vacation rested and relaxed! :D

This is what I’ve heard. I’m trying to find out what that would be like!!!

Thank you SO much for your response. I should probably have added that it is usually a trip for me and my husband, myself and a friend, or a combination of the two. Also, I’m a teacher, so the summer is really the only time I could go for long periods of time or at some point during the school year for a shorter period of time (two days and a weekend at most).

If I was you I'd buy at Poly. Best location for any of the MK resorts in terms of access to both MK and Epcot, and my favorite studios on property. If studios are your use-case, you'll love owning at Poly. Also my favorite dining options of monorail resorts and my favorite view of MK fireworks. Top of the World view of fireworks is nice, but it's more romantic from the Poly beach, where the fireworks are still somewhat centered around the castle.

Nice, long contracts too to give you many years of value.

I am also a teacher, and we travel during spring or summer. We also hope to try all the different DVC resorts! We did research and saw the best monetary value was at SSR, so that’s where we bought. We also like how close it is to DS. After the refurb is done, the rooms will be really pretty! Good luck with your decision.

at the end of the day, it’s going to be a vast improvement over the places I’ve been staying

Maybe. Depends. The thing about the whole "deluxe!" thing is that DVC units would not qualify as a luxury/deluxe experience anywhere, and have different amenities than even cash units at the same resorts (exceptions: SSR, OKW and likely RIV, since all 3 are DVC-only). All studios, save OKW, have only one real bed, and are otherwise rife with variably comfy sofa pull-outs. You don't get Mousekeeping. You will almost never get an upgrade (although that's rare in cash too). You have to plan ahead and have low expectations around booking inside of 5-6 months, all of which run contrary to what people expect of high-end experiences.

Lack of daily housekeeping can also be a purchase breaker for many people. If you are the type who loves to come back to your room and the beds are made with fresh sheets, clean towels are hanging in the bathroom, the floor doesn't have any of the crumbs left from last nights late snack, that doesn't happen often with DVC unless you pay extra for that. And if you need turn down service? That doesn't happen either.

BLT is a great choice, though it is more expensive per point and I've already lived through the '70's so the décor and room size is a turn off - it depends if this is your taste. On the plus side you can walk to MK or hop on the monorail and transfer to the EPCOT monorail. Did you know you can get to the Studios through the International Gate at EPCOT? Hop on the boat or walk or a combination of the two with less hassle than a bus ride. AK will be the only resort with a bus ride or Minnie Van. Another consideration is BRV which is a short boat ride to MK and the monorail, etc. If you love US National Parks of the west, you will be blown away by the detail in this gorgeous resort. CCV is another resort adjacent, however studios are limited and it is $150+/- per point vs $100 +/- for BRV. You should plan on booking your dates at 11 months regardless of where you buy, then rebooking at 7 months so you always have a reservation. Personally, I would go for a monorail resort if you are purchasing one contract and if you love EPCOT equally to MK consider buying a monorail resort and an EPCOT resort like BWV or BCV and alternating every other year. Don't underestimate the value of your time even if you don't mind "commuting". Good luck!

BLT is a great choice, though it is more expensive per point and I've already lived through the '70's so the décor and room size is a turn off - it depends if this is your taste. On the plus side you can walk to MK or hop on the monorail and transfer to the EPCOT monorail. Did you know you can get to the Studios through the International Gate at EPCOT? Hop on the boat or walk or a combination of the two with less hassle than a bus ride. AK will be the only resort with a bus ride or Minnie Van. Another consideration is BRV which is a short boat ride to MK and the monorail, etc. If you love US National Parks of the west, you will be blown away by the detail in this gorgeous resort. CCV is another resort adjacent, however studios are limited and it is $150+/- per point vs $100 +/- for BRV. You should plan on booking your dates at 11 months regardless of where you buy, then rebooking at 7 months so you always have a reservation. Personally, I would go for a monorail resort if you are purchasing one contract and if you love EPCOT equally to MK consider buying a monorail resort and an EPCOT resort like BWV or BCV and alternating every other year. Don't underestimate the value of your time even if you don't mind "commuting". Good luck!
You can only walk through Epcot to Disney Hollywood Studios if you have a park hopper or annual pass. If you have a basic ticket, your entry into Epcot would be your one park for the day.

The problem with Polynesian to me is that lack of one bedroom and two bedroom villas. It only has studios and bungalows and the bungalows will never have three real beds like a dedicated two bedroom villa. It sleeps eight, but four are in convertible beds (one sleeper sofa, two bunk sized murphy beds-smaller than twins). The studios only have one real bed and if our villa doesn't have a king sized bed, we need two real queen beds because the two of us can't sleep in a single queen bed. We need our space.

My wife and I have points at both Aulani and Copper Creek. If we could do it over again, I’d do Bay Lake Tower and Grand Californian.

I like the lower maintenance fees with both resorts. And I absolutely love BLT’s location. I just wish I could get my wife to stay there!

While there are no deals at the Grand Californian on the resale market, but if you plan on going to Disneyland once every 5 years, it’s an awesome way to stay! And if you ever needed to sell, having a Grand Californian contract for sale would sell before the end of this sentence. However, if you’re never going to go to Disneyland, then I wouldn’t bother.

Snapping up a 50-75 point Grand Californian with the balance of your points at BLT wouldn’t be a bad way to go

In your shoes I would really rent SSR points and make sure you won't be "disappointed to end up there." While many, many people love SSR, I'd rather stay offsite than stay at SSR, so owning SSR and "getting stuck there" would be disastrous for me. However, if you find after staying there that you'd be ok with it, then that is a good choice for you. "Buy where you won't mind staying" if you don't have a place that you want to "buy where you want to stay."

That would also help you understand Aurora's point on DVC being "Deluxe" - its a timeshare, not a hotel, and its really important that you understand the differences and set expectations appropriately or you will not end up with what you thought you were buying.

After buying DVC you'll find yourself slowing down and enjoying the resort more. I used to go park commando, rope drop till you drop, every day for 2 weeks. Now a mid day nap and pool time is a must do. Why stress out if you know you'll be back next year? You may not believe it, but it's possible to come back from a WDW vacation rested and relaxed! :D
This is what I’ve heard. I’m trying to find out what that would be like!!!
This was the first "perk" I felt during our first DVC trip. Didn't get a coveted FP or ride all the favorites this trip? No worries, we'll be back!

I would recommend since you're interested in staying at multiple places you go with the Buy where you won't mind staying. Another thing to consider is, as more and more DVC properties are built staying at the more in demand resorts will be harder. We also wanted to have a contract that was longer.

So taking all those things into account we bought at BLT. I will never be unhappy staying there. You have monorail access to MK, Epcot, and the Poly and Grand Floridian for dining. You also have boat access to the Wilderness Lodge and Ft Wilderness Campground. BLT has the Top of the World Lounge and the walk to MK which is so nice. Finally it has one of the lower dues. I'm biased, but unless you have a strong desire to stay somewhere specific. I think this is the best property to own.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am still deep into research mode and your suggestions are very helpful! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts