Which DVC Resort to Buy?

Interesting note on annual fees:

BLT dues are rising at a significantly faster pace than SSR. Using the last 10 years of dues & a CAGR calculator:

BLT going up at a rate of 5.41%
SSR going up at a rate of 3.60%

As a comparison, BWV over the same 10 year period is going up at 2.95%, and BCV at 3.03%

CAGR = Compound Annual Growth Rate

We just put in an offer on a loaded SSR contract with more points that we could afford direct or at some of the more "desirable" resorts. We are coming in from the west coast, so any trip has a starting threshold at $2500 for flights alone. We are totally open to staying anywhere and looking to be in mostly 1 bed (sleeping 5) or 2 bed. I hear those are easier at 7 months. We have no desire to stay studios unless traveling without our kids.

I am excited about the SSR renovations and when we are going back year after year, I am willing to roll the dice on whether we get the resort we want for every visit. We are pretty easy going. We also will tend to travel in off times - Jan-Feb and late Aug - Sept pulling kids from school.

After buying DVC you'll find yourself slowing down and enjoying the resort more. I used to go park commando, rope drop till you drop, every day for 2 weeks. Now a mid day nap and pool time is a must do. Why stress out if you know you'll be back next year? You may not believe it, but it's possible to come back from a WDW vacation rested and relaxed! :D
This is what I’ve heard. I’m trying to find out what that would be like!!!

After about 35 WDW days after buying DVC (not all of our stays were on DVC points), we are still trying to get to the relaxing part! Part of it is having 2 young kids, I know, and we are building in more pool time, but we keep meaning to take a day OFF from the parks and it doesn't happen.

Since you have not stayed in any of the resorts yet, I would strongly suggest you RENT points for your next vacation, and choose which one (or two) resorts you'd like to try. Renting isn't much more expensive than buying, but you won't get access to perks of being a resale member (such as Top of The World Lounge) or a direct member (EPCOT lounge, moonlight magic, dining and merchandise discounts, annual pass discount). You will, however, get a deluxe room for the price of a moderate.

After about 35 WDW days after buying DVC (not all of our stays were on DVC points), we are still trying to get to the relaxing part! Part of it is having 2 young kids, I know, and we are building in more pool time, but we keep meaning to take a day OFF from the parks and it doesn't happen.

We never have - and I think we are nearing our 20th year of ownership. I don't go to Disney to hang by the pool, there are other places I'd rather be if what I'm going to do is sit around - they are nicer and way less expensive to sit around in. We go to Disney to do parks, and that is about all we find worth doing there.

I try and get to the pool once per trip - but now with grown kids (and even while they were teens) it was often just me throwing on a suit to soak in the hottub and take a trip down the pool slide to check that off the Disney to do list. My husband isn't a huge pool guy.

So "hey, you'll take more time" may be the modal experience - but its certainly not universal.

You will, however, get a deluxe room for the price of a moderate.

You will also get a good chance to see how DVC measures up against a Deluxe. There are differences and some of them are the differences people who like hotels find themselves really missing. No rollaway beds. Check in AFTER 4. No daily mousekeeping or clean towels or coffee or toiletries every day (unless you pay extra). No late checkout. No studios with two beds (except at OKW) or studios with king beds. Most people who post here either don't mind or actually prefer some of these differences, but some people discover that not having free access to extra towels or clean towels every day is a deal breaker or they want two real beds without needing to spend the points on a two bedroom.

Thank you SO much for your response. I should probably have added that it is usually a trip for me and my husband, myself and a friend, or a combination of the two. Also, I’m a teacher, so the summer is really the only time I could go for long periods of time or at some point during the school year for a shorter period of time (two days and a weekend at most).

It’s funny you mentioned about the studios because I’m watching another video and they are talking about how hard they are to get. Yikes!

A question - are kids possibly in your future? Sounds like you’d be happy with studios for the foreseeable future, but if kids are a possibility some years down the line, location may become more important as will transportation. We own at BLT, VGF and RIV and have different reasons we like each resort.

When kids are small, or if you only have 1, resorts with the Murphy bed in the studios (that sleep 5) are great because you can stay in them for quite a long time without using the pullout, which makes the studios feel much more spacious than a hotel room that has 2 beds in it. (Even with 2 kids, we had a couple of years when the little one was in a crib and the older one on the pull down bed.)

Having a 1br with kids is such a luxury, because the grownups have a space to hang out with lights on after the kids have gone to sleep. BLT and Kidani also have n+1 baths in the 1 and 2 bedroom units. And of course the full kitchen and washer dryer are super helpful with little kids.

As for location, there’s a reason why near-park resorts command a premium. Folding a double stroller while holding sleeping kids and a bag ... is a lot harder than just pushing the stroller back to your room or onto the monorail, boat, or gondola.

SSR or BLT or AKV would be good buys for you. They are usually the 3 most economical by price per point (and possibly MFs, depending on where AKV is). AKV would be an amazing resort to get “stuck” at, and has a ton to do on its own if you don’t want to go to the parks. We love BLT, studios are small but fine for 2, and we love the 1 and 2 be units. There’s a reason we bought it first!

Interesting note on annual fees:

BLT dues are rising at a significantly faster pace than SSR. Using the last 10 years of dues & a CAGR calculator:

BLT going up at a rate of 5.41%
SSR going up at a rate of 3.60%

As a comparison, BWV over the same 10 year period is going up at 2.95%, and BCV at 3.03%

CAGR = Compound Annual Growth Rate
We are waiting for ROFR on an extended OKW. I felt it had the biggest sq ft rooms, best value for points and it has just been refurbished so it's basically brand new. Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter