Which hotel for Marathon weekend?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
We've got it narrowed down to either OKW (DH's favorite) or BCV. Even though the starting area is in front of Epcot, they probably have buses. He usually loves OKW, but during the F&W half marathon, BCV was so convenient. Are there big pros and cons to either resort for marathon weekend (he's doing the Dopey challenge, BTW).

I've not stayed at either, but I understand the incredible convenience of the BCV having stayed at Boardwalk last year. You must be bussed to the starting line no matter which one you stay at, but if you'll have park tickets/passes anyway, you then have the option of cutting back through EPCOT to go to your hotel after the race rather than wait on the buses to get you back -- not necessarily the most appealing idea after a marathon, but actually quite helpful in terms of keeping things loose later.

For OKW, the impression I've gotten from reading other reports is that it's nice in terms of the size and cost, whether in actual dollars or DVC points.

Love POFQ, and it used to be great for this weekend, but now you have to take the busses across. Since they stopped allowing racers to walk across to the starting corrals, these resorts are a real hassle. It takes forever for the busses to get to Epcot from them, and family members not racing are disturbed by the fireworks (which my wife says go on FOREVER).

Not sure where I'll stay in January. Still trying to decide.

We've got it narrowed down to either OKW (DH's favorite) or BCV. Even though the starting area is in front of Epcot, they probably have buses. He usually loves OKW, but during the F&W half marathon, BCV was so convenient. Are there big pros and cons to either resort for marathon weekend (he's doing the Dopey challenge, BTW).

Are you both doing Dopey? If not BCV would be close to a good viewing location for the 5k, 10k and Marathon if there is someone not running them. I would lean to BCV just because I like that location better and I view the spectating options as a plus. While I like OKW, I think it's best feature for Marathon Weekend is the ability to park in very close proximity to your room. That doesn't really benefit much for getting back after the race, but it's nice throughout the rest of the weekend. We like the garden wing rooms at the contemporary for this reason. Monorail access to and from the races, and you can park pretty close to your room too.

No we're not both doing the Dopey, just DH. Actually, I'd assumed we'd be staying at OKW, because generally that's DH's favorite hotel. But it sounds like, from some of the responses I've gotten so far, including yours, that BCV might actually be better. He's the one who suggested it, based on experience. I'm happy because BCV is my favorite resort. Thanks!

We are trying to decide the answer to this as well as it'll be both of our first half marathons at WDW. It sounds like the way to go is book an Epcot area resort? Does anyone know if the busses run the same at the Swan/Dolphin?

We are trying to decide the answer to this as well as it'll be both of our first half marathons at WDW. It sounds like the way to go is book an Epcot area resort? Does anyone know if the busses run the same at the Swan/Dolphin?
All of the Epcot resorts share buses. I stayed at the Boardwalk this year for Dopey and would get on a bus at the Boardwalk, and then get off at whatever the first resort stop was after the races (usually it was Swan or Dolphin) and walk back. Transportation was really good overall. :)

I've also stayed at the Grand Floridian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and the Beach Club for race weekends and transportation has always been really good for me.

All of the Epcot resorts share buses. I stayed at the Boardwalk this year for Dopey and would get on a bus at the Boardwalk, and then get off at whatever the first resort stop was after the races (usually it was Swan or Dolphin) and walk back. Transportation was really good overall. :)

I've also stayed at the Grand Floridian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and the Beach Club for race weekends and transportation has always been really good for me.

As a spectator, did your husband find it easy to track you down on the course at the end when you were at Boardwalk? I'm only planning the full in 2016 (husband isn't running), so I'm trying to choose between Boardwalk and Yacht Club.

My Mom votes Boardwalk because she can drive there and park for free to see me, but I want a place that's easy for the husband to find that early in the morning ... also, I will need someone to hand me a beer at that point. :drinking1

As a spectator, did your husband find it easy to track you down on the course at the end when you were at Boardwalk? I'm only planning the full in 2016 (husband isn't running), so I'm trying to choose between Boardwalk and Yacht Club.

My Mom votes Boardwalk because she can drive there and park for free to see me, but I want a place that's easy for the husband to find that early in the morning ... also, I will need someone to hand me a beer at that point. :drinking1

BW is a good place for spectators. The runners are very spread out by the time they reach BW at mile 24, so it's not hard for them to spot you. My wife and friends have had no trouble finding me the past two races I've done. They know about what time to start looking for me and have had the beer chilled and ready to be handed off as I get there.

Stayed at the BW and BC the past couple of years. Very convenient to hop on the bus and be at start line within minutes or to get back to hotel, although I would not even consider walking back even with a ticket as it is probably at least 1.5mi... not something to do after finishing the marathon. But mostly the family likes that they do not have to be up before dawn to roll out to see me pass and especially BC is fun for the family if the weather is good enough for swimming.

Stayed at the BW and BC the past couple of years. Very convenient to hop on the bus and be at start line within minutes or to get back to hotel, although I would not even consider walking back even with a ticket as it is probably at least 1.5mi... not something to do after finishing the marathon. But mostly the family likes that they do not have to be up before dawn to roll out to see me pass and especially BC is fun for the family if the weather is good enough for swimming.
So are you saying that after the marathon, runners who are staying at the BC (or BCV) have the option of either walking thru Epcot or taking a bus from the front of Epcot in order to get back to their resort? I didn't know that since there's ordinarily not a bus from the front of Epcot to the BC.

So are you saying that after the marathon, runners who are staying at the BC (or BCV) have the option of either walking thru Epcot or taking a bus from the front of Epcot in order to get back to their resort? I didn't know that since there's ordinarily not a bus from the front of Epcot to the BC.

If you have a park ticket, you can walk through Epcot back to BW or BC/YC. If you do not have one, or do not want to use one up just to walk to the resort, you can take a bus back instead. The buses do not leave from the front of Epcot. They leave from the finish area of the race.

Yep. We were texting a bit during the race and he told me he'd be by the International Gateway. Super easy - and I like seeing him at the end of the race rather than earlier.
Yes, there are buses. If you walk through Epcot you'll need a park ticket. Not surprisingly, bus ride back is very short but as I mentioned above all 5 resorts share buses.

Last edited:
Getting back to the BC this year, was met by DW who said the elevators were broken and would have to walk up 3 floors to our room... I did not appreciate her humor. But they were indeed broken.

Luckily they routed us to use the service elevators otherwise the trip back to the room might not have happened.

I am so jealous of you all talking about the Epcot Resorts. I would love to stay at one but for 2016 Marathon Weekend I am going to have to go on a tight budget, epecially if I am lucky enough to nab one of the Dopey spots. So it is the Value Resorts for me. Anyone ever stay at one of the All-Star Resorts or at Pop/AoA. How was transportation from those locations, resort food? Any thoughts are appreciated!

I am so jealous of you all talking about the Epcot Resorts. I would love to stay at one but for 2016 Marathon Weekend I am going to have to go on a tight budget, epecially if I am lucky enough to nab one of the Dopey spots. So it is the Value Resorts for me. Anyone ever stay at one of the All-Star Resorts or at Pop/AoA. How was transportation from those locations, resort food? Any thoughts are appreciated!

We stayed at All-Star during Disney on Ice in 2010. Transportation was fine all weekend except after the half. The three resorts share buses, so the line to get on one after the races (except the full) can be longer than those for other resorts. After the half in 2010, the line was a hundred people or more long. I was so cold at that point that I walked on to the bus with the shortest line, asked the driver where we were going, and called my wife to ask her to come and get me from there.

Went to 2014 Half from Music and it was fine. Either we were the first off after the Half or our bus didn't share, not sure.

Used AOA for this year's Half and it was good too. Food at AOA is terrific, really good. We tend to go to the foodcourt there sometimes even if staying elsewhere.

I like Pop,AoA is a short walk away being on the other side of the lake so if one bus has a long line to get on you have the option of the other resort bus( not on race morning,in the mornings I obviously use the Pop bus).Also you have another food court to choose from and I believe they have pretty different menus.After the full this year that's exactly what happened,Pop had a long line so I got on the AoA bus,ate at the food court before walking over to my room at Pop.

We have stayed at Port Orleans for the past two marathon weekends and found it to be very convenient. Quick bus rides back to the resort after the race, and the boat service to Downtown Disney is also very good.

Only potential minus is that you can clearly hear the fireworks start going off at 5:30am when every corral starts for the half and full marathons. So if anyone is in the room and is a light sleeper, they would most likely be woken up by that.

My wife and I are considering a monorail resort for the Dopey (Poly). Never stayed in one for a runDisney event. Can anyone provide their experience getting to/from the race while staying at a monorail resort?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter