Which Hotel on Catalina for a Family of 5?

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Looks like our WDW vacation has been cancelled and now we are thinking of heading back to Los Angeles. I've always wanted to do Catalina. Anyone have a suggestion for a hotel for a family of five?

Not with a family of 5 ...:rolleyes1

I did a day trip in early May...most hotels wanted a 2 night minimum and no one responded to my emails when I asked about a 1 night stay.

If you're looking for something central, I liked the location of the Metropole.

I'd recommend that you keep bumping this thread or send Sherry E (moderator) an email. She's the resident expert on Catalina.

Okay, here I am!! I just now saw this thread! I wish I had noticed it earlier.

Mike, are you only planning on being there for one night? And in what month? See, what the hotels on Catalina Island used to do (and I assume they still do) is set a 2-night minimum up front and most of them won't take reservations for one night during anything resembling peak season (usually May - September). BUT, what they used to do and I assume still do is let you have one night if they have availability at the last minute. That happens, of course, when people have to cancel or back out and rooms become available. Certainly the hotel wants to make some money, so they will take a last minute one-night stay rather than make no money at all. But you kind of have to keep calling them on it up until the date you are planning to go, and then it might all be very last minute.

Otherwise, if you are staying two nights and booking in advance, as PrincessInOz suggested, the Hotel Metropole is a popular choice. They have begun to revamp a few hotels on the island in this new kind of makeover they are giving it. The Hotel Villa Portofino is pretty good. The Hotel St. Lauren is pretty good. I have stayed at the Hotel Catalina and it's very basic. Nothing snazzy at all. It's more like a beachy bed and breakfast-y type of place. I have also stayed at the Seaport Village Inn, and that was pretty good as well. I am sure that any of the rooms can technically fit 5 people (2 beds and a rollaway or sofabed or something).

I have also had really good luck renting little cottages - and that may be the way to go for you with 5 people. You can get cottages from any of the realty places (Hunt Realty was the one I used for the cottage I had, and it was adorable.)

One place I stayed that was not particularly great was the Hermosa Hotel and Catalina Cottages. While they do have rooms/cottages than can accommodate 5 people easily (we stayed in one), it was a little run down when we stayed there. Granted, that was a long, long time ago, and they may have spruced it up a bit since then. It wouldn't hurt to contact them.

Avoid the Zane Grey Hotel - because that is waaaaaaaay up in the hills. In fact, there used to be a Best Western/Catalina Canyon hotel there, and that was also waaaaaaaay up in the hills.

Oh, I'm so excited that you may be able to get to Catalina after all! (Even if you have to scrap the hotel idea and go for a full day trip instead.) The Flying Fish tour has begun now (it lasts until September). PrincessInOz missed that one because the darn fish weren't out yet. The Cruise to Seal Rocks tour is good too. The Semi-Submersible is a cool tour (better than the glass bottom boat). The golf carts (get the 3 hours for the price of 2 hours deal) are the quintessential Catalina experience, and you can get lots of fantastic photos up in the hills, as the views are amazing. There is also a Safari Bus tour that goes into the interior of the island where you can see all kinds of buffalo.

Sherry my itinerary keeps on a changing. At best now we are looking at a day trip to Catalina. With the World of Color now offering dining packages we might be forced into paying for that instead of paying for the expensive ferry ride. My wife hurt her back a few years ago and it really has been giving her bad pains lately. We might need to get a wheelchair to help her with our days in the parks as well. I'm not sure if she can take a boat ride on the Pacific. I'm really worried about her. Thank you for all your information you posted above. I'll keep you posted.

Sherry my itinerary keeps on a changing. At best now we are looking at a day trip to Catalina. With the World of Color now offering dining packages we might be forced into paying for that instead of paying for the expensive ferry ride. My wife hurt her back a few years ago and it really has been giving her bad pains lately. We might need to get a wheelchair to help her with our days in the parks as well. I'm not sure if she can take a boat ride on the Pacific. I'm really worried about her. Thank you for all your information you posted above. I'll keep you posted.

Thats too bad. Hopefully you guys can make it there one day. I think you will really enjoy Catalina when and if you can ever get over there! But I can completely empathize with back problems and the pain that comes from them.:sick: I suffer with that myself (untreated disc problem), and sometimes the pain is crippling and mind-numbingly painful whereas other times it's manageable. I can also empathize with the pain of expensive ferry tickets (or expensive amusement park tickets). It's not cheap - even with the Entertainment Book discount on the ferry.

Well, rest assured that a day on Catalina is not as hectic or action-packed as a day at DLR. I mean, it can be action-packed if you choose it to be that way, but it can be also very relaxing. I have done both kinds of trips there - where we were running around all day, from one tour to the other, and also a more relaxing day where all we did was rent a golf cart and walk around, stopping to gaze out at the ocean periodically! The boat ride is not jarring at all. Unless you and your wife are prone to seasickness, it's a smooth ride - and you almost always see dolphins and other sea life on the way over.

It is sounding like the best way to really get a 'good' view of WoC is to do one of the dining packages (and not the picnic ones but the AG or WCT packages) and get a FP with a better viewing section. I hope you end up with a great spot!!

Sorry to hear about your back too.

She was in the hospital for two days in May with the pain. She has been diagnosed with a degenerative disk problem in her lower back but two doctors have stated that they won't operate on it. Confusing because it has limited her life. They talk about a disketomy but from what and heard it can be a 50-50 chance of it even helping.

We have 6 days in july at disneyland's grand californian. My wife and I keep wrestling with things for our "days off".

Catalina isn't off our list yet.

Looks like the latest is that we are going to try a daytrip to catalina. Probably rent the golf carts and enjoy the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter