Which is a better deal DVC resale or DVC direct?

NewYorkMom

DisneyFreaks!
We are a family of 6 looking to finally become DVC. I've spoken with DVC direct regarding the promotions going on now, but I'm trying to figure out what is the best deal for our family as 200 points would be a bare minimum for our family for the amount we like to travel there ... 250-300 would be more of what we are looking for, but the initial cost is so much. Some help would be greatly appreciated on what I should look out for in buying resale and what exactly would be considered a good deal. Thank you so much!

I think general consensus on these boards is to buy most of your pts resale first, then buy a 25pt contract direct from Disney to get the 'direct' benefits. When looking at resale, keep in mind the 'end' dates for the contracts--a lot of the older DVC resorts end in 2042. The newer ones end much later--hopefully someone else can give you that info! We have 2 contracts that end in 2042, OKW and BWV--but that is fine with us as we'll be in our 70's at that point! Also look at how much the dues cost/pt for each resort as you'll be paying those every year. If you're buying to use them at Disney World, make sure you buy a contract at one of the resorts there--that gives you the 11 month booking benefit at your home resort, which can be useful during busy times, or if you want certain views.

Do you know where you like to stay at WDW? That is more important than the current promotions, which are only available for CCV and Aluni.

Buy resale first and then buy a small direct add on, once you figure out where you want your home resort to be.

I totally agree with @Matty B13 , picking where you want to stay is the most important factor.

As to resale vs direct, If I were buying in at brand new resorts that aren't sold out and and they have promotions and resale is thin (copper creek, riviera), I would buy direct. That is probably not the predominant opinion though on this form, so take it with a grain of salt.

Otherwise I would go resale and buy a small 25 point contract add-on as @Matty B13 suggests. Direct is simple and a done deal, you can use a credit card, and your guide will be able to book a trip before you even complete everything. It will cost you more money though, in particular if you are buying into an older or sold out resort. Resale you have to be patient, find the right contracts, and deal with some uncertainty (Disney might take it, a seller might back out etc), and wait some time before you can use your points. On the other hand you will save ton of money in most cases.

It's important to annualize the initial cost when comparing your options, as its a much smaller portion of the cost for resorts that are still early in their term. You'll find that dues are much more impactful.

We are a family of 6 looking to finally become DVC. I've spoken with DVC direct regarding the promotions going on now, but I'm trying to figure out what is the best deal for our family as 200 points would be a bare minimum for our family for the amount we like to travel there ... 250-300 would be more of what we are looking for, but the initial cost is so much. Some help would be greatly appreciated on what I should look out for in buying resale and what exactly would be considered a good deal. Thank you so much!
You need to spend a few months investigating but I'd go resale in most cases. Since it's unlikely you have enough experience to know what you want, I'd look at the lower cost options with SSR, BLT and AKV being the cheapest in that order.

Besides what the PP said, you need to look at your family's travel habits. Are you able to book reservations 7-11 months in advance? You'd need a 2 bedroom (unless one of your 4 kids is younger than 3). Would you be okay staying at the resort that you bought at if there was no availability elsewhere at the 7 month mark?

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

2 years ago, maybe even 6 months ago, you would have been drowned in “Resale” chanting. Interesting how quickly things shifted this year. Now it’s like, it depends...

The amount of points that my family requires to make DVC useful would be extremely cost-prohibitive to buy direct. We bought resale at BLT after staying for a quick 2 nighter at the Contemporary for our last trip. I intend to purchase a 25 pt direct contract in the future if it makes sense for us. Different things are going to be important to different people of course so make sure you understand the restrictions of resale before you dive in. For us, the cost savings of buying resale (almost $10K), and the ability to purchase the resort and use year that we wanted far outweighed the restrictions of certain perks/discounts. Not saying I won't wish that we had them, but I would have to spend $50,000 on souvenirs and food for the 20% discount to compensate. Now, DVC exclusive events are a perceived value and could be more important to you than others. Still, the ability to 'buy in' at 25 points direct is 100% acceptable and definitely worth considering, even if it is a loophole-by-design.

Main thing to remember about 25pt direct add-ons is that those are the only points eligible to be used for things outside of WDW, ala concierge collection and Vacations by Disney. Those to not really appeal to me so I made my decision accordingly.

Good luck! There is a lot to consider and research, but you WILL make the right choice for your family!

2 years ago, maybe even 6 months ago, you would have been drowned in “Resale” chanting. Interesting how quickly things shifted this year. Now it’s like, it depends...

I think it's always been "depends," especially before 4/16. If you were buying Poly in the last 2 years, there really wasn't a lot of value in going resale. AUL, because it will not sell out any time before 2025, is variable. If you really want CCV, direct really is the only way to go; while there have been some resale contracts, they are all clearly ridiculous and/or buyer regret and the value is not there.

And for contracts of 50 points or less, resale is often the hardest way to go without as much value lift as you'll find in larger contracts resale.

I think it's always been "depends," especially before 4/16. If you were buying Poly in the last 2 years, there really wasn't a lot of value in going resale. AUL, because it will not sell out any time before 2025, is variable. If you really want CCV, direct really is the only way to go; while there have been some resale contracts, they are all clearly ridiculous and/or buyer regret and the value is not there.

And for contracts of 50 points or less, resale is often the hardest way to go without as much value lift as you'll find in larger contracts resale.
There have always been exceptions but most people who think they are the exception really aren't. The problem with the current reality is that far fewer people can afford DVC legitimately than could before. It's like living in a high cost area for houses, just because the houses are more expensive doesn't change the math on what one can afford.

There have always been exceptions but most people who think they are the exception really aren't. The problem with the current reality is that far fewer people can afford DVC legitimately than could before. It's like living in a high cost area for houses, just because the houses are more expensive doesn't change the math on what one can afford.

That said, OP is a family of 6 who's already identified a need for 200 points. Assuming OP means "traveling there" means going to WDW, the only realistic option for direct right now is CCV 2BR. We know how much those points will cost. Alternatively if OP could buy 250-300 points at a resale price without financing, then that is what I would suggest. The price differential really is in the tens of thousands of $. A lot will depend on which resort's 2BR units are preferred by OP and her family, and which resort's 2BR are "acceptable".

OP, there is a lot of info in the sticky posts, but for preliminary considerations, knowing the ages of your kids, your travel style (park commandos? hang out at resort? do you love DS?), which resorts/parks/areas you prefer, whether you usually rent a car, all will go a long way toward determining which resorts are on your short list.

Also - really, really caution against financing. The MFs do add up and many buyers don't really look at that aspect until after they've bought in, leading to at best buyers remorse, and at worst financial problems.

I think general consensus on these boards is to buy most of your pts resale first, then buy a 25pt contract direct from Disney to get the 'direct' benefits. s.

I decided i needed 175 points. @ $176 for copper creek vs @ $100 at boulder the price difference was $13,300. To me, I would rather pay $13,300 more to have the extra 15 years (lease time) and the ease of doing it all in one day with a ten minute phone call.

My bill rate is not $13,300, but my personal time is valuable. I don't want to do the back and forth over several weeks it takes to do a resale contract. DVC direct made it so easy. 10 minutes by phone is all it took, and I had my log in in less than 12 hours.

I decided i needed 175 points. @ $176 for copper creek vs @ $100 at boulder the price difference was $13,300. To me, I would rather pay $13,300 more to have the extra 15 years (lease time) and the ease of doing it all in one day with a ten minute phone call.

My bill rate is not $13,300, but my personal time is valuable. I don't want to do the back and forth over several weeks it takes to do a resale contract. DVC direct made it so easy. 10 minutes by phone is all it took, and I had my log in in less than 12 hours.

That’s awesome that you have that kind of disposable income!!!!

Finding the best deal is part of the game to me!

We added on this year, and the cost savings allowed us to buy 360 more points instead of around 200. Now we can splurge and get grand villas when traveling with friends!

I’d do a fixed week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter