Which is better for kids(toddler) OKW or BWV

myprincesskaylee

Through God all things are possible.....
All the way around, Bus wait times, Fun, Space in rooms, the whole nine yards.. Which is more kid friendly?

Thanks

I'm sure a toddler will be happy with any WDW resort! :teeth:

Seriously, what type of accommodation are you looking at? Studio? 1BR?

I can't believe that size of the accommodation is a big deal with just one toddler, but that's just me. So I wouldn't worry about that very much.

You can walk to EPCOT and MGM studios from BWV, but I'm assuming you would be pushing a stroller? Or are you planning to rent one inside each park? If bringing your own, being able to avoid folding it up on a bus is probably nice.

On the other hand, are you planning on spending much time at EPCOT or MGM? If not, then there really is no location advantage to BWV or OKW.

I think both OKW and BWV are extremely kid friendly, so I'd go with the one you will like better yourselves. :)

We are wanting a studio. We will be bringing our own stroller. We are flying in, not driving. We plan on spending Most of our time at MGM and MK. Maybe a day or two at Epcot. We are going at the end of Jan.

Thanks

myprincesskaylee said:
All the way around, Bus wait times, Fun, Space in rooms, the whole nine yards.. Which is more kid friendly?

Thanks

I'd go with BWV because

1) BWV's Commmunity Hall has a lot of activities for toddlers, most free, some have a small fee.

2) There are jugglers, magicians, and other entertainers on the Boardwalk in the evening, kids love them. There is a funhouse mirror there too, as well as some midway games (but I doubt your toddler will find the games of interest, unless you win him/her a prize, LOL)

3) There are many shops and restaurants on the Boardwalk, you don't have to travel to get to. So convenient to have quick access to things, especially with a little one in tow.

4) You can order room service, an option that does not exist at OKW

5) If you're going to Epcot or MGM it's ever so close from BW, you can walk or take the boat

I'm sure any WDW would be great, but if it were me, I would go with BWV. Having a toddler myself. (We stayed at BWV last year when she was 13 months) and SSR (similar set up to OKW) this year. There's a huge advantage to being closer in to the parks, restaurants, etc. If your toddler needs a break you can take them back to the room by walking or riding the boat. There's a lot of dining options between BWV, BCV, Swan and Dolphin, and if you go to Epcot and MGM there right there too. Epcot's fireworks..you can see them from the Bridge between BWv and BCV. When we stayed at SSR it was just inconvenient to walk everywhere w/ a 2 yr old. OKW is probably the same way. And since you want a studio..you won't be doing much cooking so you'd need to stay close to more restaurants. SSR and OKW are very nice, but I'd defintely go to BWV.

Another thing...January and Feb. are great months to go. If you can go to all the parks. You can probably do a whole park in 1 day. The lines aren't really long and the weather is usually great (you may have a cold day here and there). It's my favorite time to go. We took my 9 yo DD when she turned 5 in early Feb. and she really got to experience WDW and w/o all the long lines and heat. We got to go on more rides than we do in the summer as well. We will do the same when my youngest DD (now 2) is 4 1/2 so she can get the full experience as well. I wish we could at that time every year!

I've stayed at both, and BWV is just much more convenient. You can walk to Epcot easily, you can take the boat (or walk) to MGM, and there are many different food options right outside the resort. When I took my DS when he was 13 mos, he really enjoyed playing in the sand at the Beach Club, which is just a short walk away. I also think BWV is more stroller-friendly. I know when I stayed at OKW, we had to walk up a flight of stairs to our studio, although I am sure you could request a room on ground level. I also remember the bus service to OKW being much slower and less frequent than BWV.

Of the DVC members I know (not a huge sample...three families), they have stayed at both and much prefer BWV.

My vote is OKW. After an entire day in the parks, my kids are usually wired. My family (2adults ,2 kids) loves the quiet of OKW at night and the new refurbish pool is really, really nice.

Eliza

Are you planning Illuminations and Fantasmic? Wait till you see that mad rush to the buses (you can aviod totally).

After Illuminations its about a 10 to 15 minute walk to BWV-elevator to your romm and go to bed, where OKW is that long just to fight your way to the EPCOT bus stop-then wait for a bus, hold the stroller and the child (usually sleeping), stop 3 or 4 times and crank on the lights before you get to your bus stop, push the stroller to you room and walk up the stairs-about an hour total. Fantasmic is the same thing-maybe an extra 5 minutes.

Regardless of which resort you choose, I can see pros and cons to both. In reference to the parks, you mentioned that you would frequent MGM and MK. We've stayed at both BWV and OKW. We felt OKW bus service to the MK was better/more convenient than BWV's, but you may prefer the 15-20 min walk to MGM (or boat ride) over the bus service from OKW. So for ease to MK, I vote OKW and for ease to MGM I vote BWV.

idratherbeinwdw says: 4) You can order room service, an option that does not exist at OKW
As for room service. True, OKW does not offer this but it's no problem at all getting food to your room. Here's a list of restaurants that will deliver right to your villa door at OKW :

Giordano's (Pizza/pasta/soup/salad/appetizers)
http://www.giordanos.com/
12151 S Apopka-Vineland Rd
(407) 239-8900
Apopka-Vineland Rd delivered to OKW.
It was a Chicago "stuffed" pizza with lots of cheese and fillings. It was no problem at all having it delivered.

Domino's Pizza right near Crossroads
8542 Palm Parkway
Orlando, FL 32836
Phone: 407-239-1221

Pizza Hut-Lake Buena Vista
8699 Palm Pkwy
(407) 239-0205

Papa John's
5345 W Irlo Bronson Hwy
(407) 397-7272

Papa Johns
11989 S. Apopka Vineland Rd
Lake Buena Vista
407-477-7777
Delivers to ALL WDW Resorts except All Stars

I too was having this decision to make for our visit in Feb 2006. We chose OKW solely because it is more low key than BWV. After a day in the parks we want to be able to relax and enjoy the pool without the older 2 children being tempted to want to go do other things. From what I have read through this board, I think we will be happy with our decision. Good luck with your decision.

All the restaurants you mentioned are fast food pizza places Mia. While there's certainly nothing wrong with eating pizza I don't think you can compare it to the full breakfast/lunch/dinner menu you can order from at BWV. I apologize for my wording, I didn't mean to insinuate there was no food at all available at OKW. BTW pizza for breakfast is not an option for too many folks. :goodvibes

I can see your point Eliza and jksky4 regarding OKW being quieter and more laid back. If the OP thinks that sort of atmosphere is one her child would prefer perhaps that family would prefer OKW. There are plenty of quiet areas at BWV, but the "feel" of the resort is more lively than OKW.

Jksky4--you mentioned not wanting your older kids to be tempted to want to do more, as you would want a break from being in the parks. One of the nicest things about being at BWV, in my opinion, is the proximity to MGM and Epcot. When ou visit either of those parks in the morning you can easily walk back to the room and take a 2-3 hour break at the hottest and busiest time of the day. Then you're not tired at night, and have energy to enjoy the other activities. BUT, I absolutely realize that each family has different likes/dislikes and energy levels. So we all have to decide what's best for us. If there was one perfect resort for everyone they wouldn't have to have different themes to attract all sorts of tastes. Different strokes for different folks.

I was wanting to do the BWV, but I am starting to reconsider. My daughter is 2 1/2. In the past it has been hard to get her to sleep when we get back from a day at the parks. I think if it is quite with nothing going on outside, she would sleep better.

We always ship our breakfast fast foods (ie poptarts, cereal, fruit, oatmeal ect) to the resort before hand. So, we really dont need a place to provide breakfast.

Thank guys.... :cheer2:

The only rooms affected by noise from the BW are the rooms that have a boardwalk view, which is only obtained via request, you wouldn't be assigned that room without asking for it. And most folks say if you keep the balcony door shut even those rooms are quiet.

Whatever you choose have a great time!!

idratherbeinwdw says : All the restaurants you mentioned are fast food pizza places Mia. While there's certainly nothing wrong with eating pizza I don't think you can compare it to the full breakfast/lunch/dinner menu you can order from at BWV. I apologize for my wording,
Check out the link to Giordano's delivery menu that I put in my last post. I don't consider their selection just pizza or even fast food. They have excellent soups, salads, pasta dishes, hot sandwiches etc. True, there's no breakfast but we do that in our rooms anyway. We usually eat a light, quick breakfast and eat a bigger lunch out. It's primarily what we use the kitchen/kitchenette for. My point was, there are some very good (and often cheaper !) options to resort room service. A kids' hot dog or pb&j sandwich is over $6 via room service. A 3 egg omelot is $13. Plus they add on 18% automatically and a $3 delivery charge. Of course I realize some don't mind these prices because of the convenience. Just wanted to make the point that OKW isn't totally lacking as some may think & there's pros and cons to both resorts. Just wanted to let the OP know there were options at OKW besides just pizza.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion but my kids love OKW and have for many years. There's always been plenty for them to do and they're never bored. We feel OKW is very family-oriented. My son made some friends this month skateboarding around the resort with some other boys he met. My girls made friends with some other girls their age in the pool and hung out for awhile. There were lots of little kids in the main pool earlier this month during our stay. I think both resorts would be good for kids. We feel we can just as easily get back to the resort when staying at OKW as at BWV---even Epcot. My kids don't care to hang in the Worldshowcase all that much (they never did). We spend most of our time in Future World, so the walk to the bus is not bad at all back to OKW from this area. I agree you can walk to BWV, but from Future World it can be a little bit of a hike, so it pans out almost even for us. But like you said.....different strokes for different folks. :flower:

Thanks so much for the link to Giordano's (probably didn't spell it right). We are staying at OKW in November and are so excited! It looks like it will really fit our family! Do you know if Olivia's still has a "to-go" menu?

Much thanks! ::MinnieMo

You're welcome for the menu....I actually got the link about a year ago from someone else here on the DIS and thought it was a terrific option for food at OKW (or any resort).
As for take-out at Olivia's.....I'm not sure. I know they did offer this but somehow I recall reading on these boards that they were going to discontinue the Olivia's take-out ? I hope I'm wrong, but I do have a feeling I read this on these boards somewhere. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

jade1 said:
Are you planning Illuminations and Fantasmic? Wait till you see that mad rush to the buses (you can aviod totally).

After Illuminations its about a 10 to 15 minute walk to BWV-elevator to your romm and go to bed, where OKW is that long just to fight your way to the EPCOT bus stop-then wait for a bus, hold the stroller and the child (usually sleeping), stop 3 or 4 times and crank on the lights before you get to your bus stop, push the stroller to you room and walk up the stairs-about an hour total. Fantasmic is the same thing-maybe an extra 5 minutes.
What time of year was THAT? We always take the bus from Epcot to OKW after illuminations, and we are always in the room before 10:00, so it wasn't anywhere near an hour. Of course, that assumes that we take the shortest fastest route through the park to the buses, and that we aren't staying at Turtle Pond or Miller's road. :)

BWV's are as quiet as any other DVC. I've stayed w/ boardwalk view and after the fireworks would close the door and wouldn't here a thing. Every other room would be as quiet or quieter. I always find it funny that some people think BWV is some all night party. :)

The biggest advantage of BWV would be keeping your baby in the stroller at night when she is sleeping and your at DS or Epcot. For many, that is a huge advantage.

One nice feature of OKW is that you can walk OUTSIDE from your front door (albeit probably down a flight of stairs). When I have had babies/toddlers with us, I liked being able to stroll them or let them run a little without having to deal with interior corridors/elevators, etc. I think if you request ground floor at BW, you will also be able to get to a grassy area right from your room to let them play (as opposed to the confines of a balcony).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter