Which lens??

Jessica Soave

Earning My Ears
we are heading to Disney next month and I am looking to get a good walk around lens!
Thinking of:

Tamron 35 1.8
Sigma art 35 1.4
Nikon 35 1.8

Shooting with a Nikon D600. I have the 50mm 1.8, as well as the 85 1.8.....but am ythinking I need something wide. I do have the tamron 28-75 2.8....but I don't love it.

Thoughts? I want something that is wide enough for the crowds (for getting shots of my kids)....but will also have nice bokeh!

Thank you!!

Jessica

I definitely agree that wider is better at Disney!

What don't you love about the Tamron 28-75? I'd probably prefer something like that as my walk around lens, then bring the lightest prime you have for when you want something faster.

Those are all nice lenses. I love the new Tamrons for their IQ and stabilization. But none of those lenses are truly wide.
The Nikon 18-35g is one of the great values in the Nikon lineup. Light weight, affordable, and fantastic IQ. And gives you a nice wide range.

I definitely agree that wider is better at Disney!

What don't you love about the Tamron 28-75? I'd probably prefer something like that as my walk around lens, then bring the lightest prime you have for when you want something faster.

I'm not sure why I don't love it! I didn't love it on my D300......maybe I should see how it performs on my D600?
You're right....I might like having tha little extra zoom while walking!

Those are all nice lenses. I love the new Tamrons for their IQ and stabilization. But none of those lenses are truly wide.
The Nikon 18-35g is one of the great values in the Nikon lineup. Light weight, affordable, and fantastic IQ. And gives you a nice wide range.

Oooh.....now you have me looking at the Sigma art 18-35 1.8......do you have any experience with that?

Thank you!!

I'm not sure why I don't love it! I didn't love it on my D300......maybe I should see how it performs on my D600?

Oooh.....now you have me looking at the Sigma art 18-35 1.8......do you have any experience with that?

Thank you!!

I thought the Sigma 18-35 was a Dx lens? The Nikon 18-35 is a great value.

Thank you!!
I'd at least give it a test run at home to see what you think of it on this camera. I don't have any experience with this particular lens on a Nikon. But I have the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 for my full frame Canon and really love it. I don't love how heavy it is but it's worth it for the sharp images.

No idea if the Sigma 18-35 will work on your camera. But I had the Canon version for my APS-C body 3 years ago and returned it after my first try. Focus was way off on it. It had a reputation of that at the time, but or all I know maybe they've done better of late? In theory it sounds like the perfect lens for Disney (but is really heavy, which is always an issue for me).

Ack...you're right! My only concern with the Nikon is that it won't be great for low light.....but maybe the pros of the lens outweigh that.....

Maybe take a look at the Nikon 20-35 f2.8d lens. If you're looking for a wide zoom, that's my budget-friendly recommendation.

Ack...you're right! My only concern with the Nikon is that it won't be great for low light.....but maybe the pros of the lens outweigh that.....

No, it's not a dark ride lens. But at the wide end, the aperture isn't all that slow.

If you want a wide angle low light lens, some interesting options are the new Sigma 14/1.8, and the Tamron 15-30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter