Which moderate hotel

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
Which moderate hotel would everyone reccomend ?
Has anyone stayed at the Val d' Europe ? If so do you wish you would have stayed onsite ?

Not stayed at Val d'Europe, so can't help there.

My favourite mid-price hotel is the Sequoia Lodge. I really love the themeing of the hotel. The Newport Bay Club is just a little bit too big for my tastes. However, there's not that much to choose between the SL and the NBC in facilities or walking distance to the parks, so just go with whichever themeing your prefer.

If a nice leisure pool complex is important to you and you are able to drive, the Davy Crockett Ranch has the best pool on-site. The new Explorers' Hotel (opening April 2003) also sounds like it will have a good pool area (although this is only on the basis of a description and artists impression).

Regards

Rob

Another vote for Camp Davy Crockett we've been twice & love it!!!!

But you must have a car to stay there as ?DLP transport don't go there.

Sue

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Thankyou both :D
The Davy Crockett ranch is out because we won't be driving.
I think I'll stick with the Sequoia Lodge. It looks lovely.

When I phoned for prices I was told it would be an extra £62 in total for a room with a lake view. Would it be worth it or are the standard rooms okay ?

For me it would depend on how much time I'd spend in my hotel room. If I think I'm only going to be in the hotel for sleeping and eating I'd probably save the money to spend on something else. But if I'm going to be in the hotel a fair bit, especially in the evening when you can look across the lake to other hotels and Disney Village, a lake view is nice. At Christmas we had a 7th floor lake view room in the Hotel New York (directly above the ice skating rink), and I did spend some time looking out of the window and enjoying the view.

If you decide not to go for the lake view, standard rooms in the Sequoia Lodge are fine. You should be aware there there are several outlying buildings with guest rooms in as well as the main building. The restaurants and other facilities are in the main building, and the pool and leisure facilities are in one of the outlying buildings. For a previous visit we requested a room near the pool building, which meant that popping in for a quick swim was a relatively short walk.

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob

We won't be spending a great deal of time in the hotel, so I think I'll stick with the standard room.
The cm said we would be in the Montana block close to all the amenities, so I take it that this is in the main building.

I had a look for flights on BA's site, and they've got a good selection leaving on the date I want. For the 3 of us it will be £136, which I think is very reasonable.
It would of cost £242 to go with Eurostar (and thats supposed to be an offer).
Now I just need to decide what time to book the flights for.
We don't want to leave too early and be tired when we reach the parks, but we also don't want to get there too late.
We'll have a 2 hour drive to Heathrow, and we'll have to be there early to check in. I'll see if I can book them for around 10 am.

Thanks again Rob :)

Montana is the main block.

If youy can possibly manage it I would recommend the Eurostar. It is such a conveneient way to get to DLP; it stops literally at the gates of the park! You could take the train from Swansea to Paddington, and then a short hop on the underground to get to Waterloo and the Eurostar terminal. You'd need to get to Waterloo by about 8.45am at the latest to check-in for the direct service to DLP. I don't know if this is possible for you, but I think this would be a better journey than driving to Heathrow and then the transfer from CDG to DLP.

If you could strech your budget a little to spend an extra night in London, the County Hall Travel Inn is only a few minutes walk from the Eurostar terminal, and reasonably priced for a central London hotel. Info here.

Regards

Rob

I don't think I could talk DH in to it Rob :D
I already had to persude him into squeezing in a little mini trip.

He said "no way" when I mentioned the lake view upgrade earlier :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about the lake view - standard rooms are fine.

Check to see if the train to Paddington/Waterloo plus later check-in for Eurostar to DLP is an easier journey for you than drive to Heathrow and early check-in for flight to CDG and transfer to DLP. Even if it means starting out an hour earlier the direct Eurostar service is MUCH easier than the flight and transfer.

Regards

Rob

I'll have to work on DH in the morning.
We do really need to do whatever is easiest because we'll have our 18 month old little monster with us. He won't sit still for longer than 5 minutes :p

I think you've made a good choice with the Sequoia - with children I prefer it, without children, I prefer the Newport Bay!
We stayed in the main building and I'd recommend it.

if it helps with the negotiations, factor in 85 Euros for the taxi, or the cost of the bus (which I can't remember but it wasn't that cheap).
We found the bus rather tedious, it seemed to take over half an hour just to leave the airport.

I am rather jealous of your flight prices, I've just been pricing up 3 tickets from the North East and the cheapest I could manage was over £400 and that was from Leeds which is still a 2 hour drive from home.

Bev

We were lucky enough to get upgraded to a lake view room ( 6th floor I think)) in the Sequoia for free. It was off season so the parks shut early and it was nice to see teh castle form our window.

My fave is still the Davy Crockett though :Pinkbounc

Its too late for negotiations now Bev, its all booked :D

The flights were only that cheap going from Heathrow or Gatwick. When I priced up Bristol they were more than double, and Cardiff didn't have any at all, so I don't mind the 2 hour drive to Heathrow. We'll stay there the night before.

£400 is a bit steep for three tickets, especially as you haven't got the convenience of flying from a local airport :(

Tracy - Do you know if all of the lake view rooms have a view of the castle. If this is the case then I think it would be well worth paying the extra money.

I think they do Alexandra - but its only a speck in the distance - not worth the extra money imo;)

Thats right, None of the lake view rooms overlook the castle or any of the park. The price that you got quoted for a Lake View room seems extremely expensive.

Have a great trip!

Does the Sequoia Lodge have an indoor and an outdoor pool ?
On some things I've read indoor/outdoor pool, and on others I've read just indoor.

It's one pool which has both indoor and outdoor sections. When the outside part of the pool is open you can swim from inside the pool building to the outside area.

Regards

Rob

The poll is mainly indoor - with an outdoor section that can be closed off with large glass doors (if you know what I mean?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts