Which moderate?

Akasha

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if any of you could give me your opinions as to which is the best moderate?

I am planning at trip to Disney World in September.

Thanks!

We are here to help, Akasha. BTW, welcome to the DIS.

Can I ask how many people are in your group? Bear in mind that Port Orleans Riverside (formerly known as Dixie Landings) can fit 5 people in a room, as long as one is a child, but all the others can fit only 4.

That may narrow down your answer right there.

Well thank you Jersey Janice.

At the moment it looks like there might be 5 people going. But my daughter is very small and can easily sleep on the floor so I am not very worried about bed space.

I have a friend who says that we can save money by staying at a regular hotel outside of Walt Disney World.

Is that a better option? I am so confused and overwhelmed!

Thank You

My suggestion is CSR. But only if the 5th person is in a crib. They no longer offer roll-away beds.

Check out my page below.

Also check out Fort Wilderness Cabins. Click on FW FAQ link

FW FAQ

My suggestion is POR. Not only is it the only moderate equipped for 5 (Trundle beds in AB section), I think it's the best moderate anyways. We just joined DVC, and the only thing I'll miss is staying at POR (It's the only "regular" resort I'll miss, none of the other 4 we've stayed at). As far as staying off property, you probably can stay off property for less money. But is it worth it? In my opinion, absolutely not! Staying on property is definitely worth it (just my opinion).

What is POR?

I am still trying to learn all the lingo here.

I don't think we want to join the Vacation Club, isn't that like a timeshare thing?

Thanks for all the advice. As I said, my daughter will probably sleep on the floor, it's her favorite place to sleep.

Well, even though I haven't stayed there yet (will be May 25 to June 5 with Mickey76) I would pick Coronado! I have stayed at Port Orleans FQ and Mickey76 has stayed at CBR and we both thought they were very nice. But....there is something about CSR that really seems above all of the other moderates. Thanks to the many helpful people on these boards we have been able to see lots of pictures and gain a lot of info about the resort. It just looks so beautiful and I know we are going to have a great time. I'm sure whatever moderate you choose, you won't be sorry. Good luck planning! :)

91 days and counting!

Akasha:

Welcome to the DIS boards. :)
Soon you'll learn all of the abbreviations!

I have stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR) twice now and I love it. I have created a web site with a lot of pictures and information. Just click on the link below :)

POR stands for one of the moderates called Port Orleans Riverside. :)

POR is Port Orleans Riverside (used to be called Dixie landings). The 4 or 5 person limit is not for guest comfort. It has to do with maximum people allowed in a room for safety and financial reasons.

here is a link to some great info and pics of the resorts

http://wdwig.com/faq_hot.htm

Welcome and have fun!!

Thanks everybody for all of your help! I can't believe how many people are giving me answers already.

Right now I think we are going to have me and my daughter and my Mother and her current husband. My roommate wants to go with us and we plan to spend some time checking out the Disney scene. I am pretty sure that Buffy (My Mom) will watch the kid while we do that. Her husband is really cool about spending time with my daughter to.

We share hotel rooms all the time. Buffys husband is really good about clearing out of the bathroom and giving us space. My daughter really seems to like just curling up in a corner with a blanket. She does that in my bedroom all the time. Maybe she thinks she is a dog.

Anyway as long as there are two beds I think we will be okay in a four person room. Buffy's husband is loaded but we would still rather spend the money on funner stuff.

I was looking at a book and it suggested the Port Orleans place because it had a boat to Downtown. That looks like alot of fun. Has anybody stayed there?

How about 2 rooms at the As... your daughter would probably love the atmosphere there.

Otherwise, I would definitely choose PO-R, bayou for the trundle bed, because unless your child is 2 or under, only 4 people are allowed in the room.

PO-R is great...best there is!!!

I stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landing. We stayed in the mansion section which only sleeps 4 people. The beds are only doubles. The queen size beds are located in the deluxes. POR is just starting to open back up. They had closed the mansion section and only Alligator Bayou section was open. The boat to DTD has been cancelled for now. When I spoke to a cast member last week, she was not sure when or if the boats were going to start running again. We are going to POR in June and I can let you know then if the boat is running again. We enjoyed our stay there as the grounds are nicely manicured and there is a playground for the kids along with bamboo pole fishing.

Cindy

From what I understand, the boats are run by DTD, and it will be up to them as to whether or not they are reinstated...not the resorts.

Thank you all - this board is so loaded with information.

Buffy's husband is paying for this trip - he wants to get to know us all a little better thus he really prefers we all stay together. I really don't see a problem with a room with two beds. Annie will sleep on the floor whether there is a bed available for her or not.

I was thinking 3 days would be long enough, and then we could drive to some other florida sights to see, like the everglades or something, but we are still open, and maybe can spend a few more days at Disney World. Am thinking we would either reserve 3 nights, and then add on a few if we change our mind, or do you think I should make a reservation for a week and plan to check out early?

I have been making pages and pages of notes from all the information I found but I do have one more question. I have a very small dog (under 5 pounds) - do you think I need to check with the resort first? She goes everywhere with me, loves to be carried around in my bag, etc.

Unless the dog is a seeing-eye dog or some other sort of service dog it won't be allowed at the resort. Disney World does have on-site kennels.

Here is the information about pets, directly from the official Walt Disney World website:

Q. Are pets allowed to stay in my resort room?

A. With the exception of service dogs for Guests with disabilities, pets are not permitted in our Theme Parks or Resorts, or on our Resort and Theme Park transportation. They may, however, stay in one of five on-site air-conditioned kennels, each of which is a member of the American Boarding Kennel Association. And pets are welcome at selected locations within Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Q. Can you tell me more about the Walt Disney World® kennels?

A. The Walt Disney World® kennels are located at all four of our Theme Parks. You'll find them adjacent to the Magic Kingdom® Park Transportation and Ticket Center, at the entrance to Epcot®, at the entrances to the Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park, and near the entrance to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Kennel fees are $6 per day and/or $9 per night per animal for Walt Disney World Resort guests ($6 per day or $11 per night for non-Walt Disney World Resort guests). Guests will be required to visit their pets at least once daily. Dog owners will need to walk their dogs at least twice daily (three times daily for puppies). Resort reservations do not guarantee a kennel space for your pets and you should call for availability. Though our kennels were designed for pets such as dogs and cats, we also accept birds, ferrets, small rodents, and non-venomous snakes, if in their own carriers. The kennels are not set up to accommodate exotic animals. All dogs and cats staying at a Walt Disney World kennel are required to have a certificate of vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian (rabies, parvo, DHLP, Bordetella for dogs; rabies, FPRC for cats).

Q. Can you tell me more about keeping my pet at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground?

A. Specific areas of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground have been made available to Guests with pets. These are full hook-up campsites. There is a $5.00 per day pet charge. (This is a per day, per site charge only, not per pet.) Sorry, Guests in tents and pop-up campers may not keep pets at their site - they must be kenneled.

The guidelines for Guests with pets are as follows:

Pets will be restricted at all times to the designated pet loops during the Guest's stay.
Pets must be walked on the pet path along the canal only. The owner is also responsible for picking up and disposing after their pet.
Pets may not roam freely in their campsites. The pet must be kept on a leash when being walked or tethered when on the site. This tether can be no longer than 8 feet.
Guests may not leave pets unattended in their site, which causes them to bark or whine, disturbing other Guests.
Pets will not be allowed on pargos (electric carts).

Pet owners not following these policies will be asked to kennel their pet.

I would have to recommend Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR). I stayed there my first time at Disney World and I loved it. It has a great, relaxing atmosphere for your parents and could also suit you and your room-mate since it has the "beach" theme to it. It can either be a very exciting or relaxing resort, just depending on how you look at it. Also, CBR has the largest rooms of all the Moderate resorts if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't really matter which resort you pick though, because you can't go wrong when you stay at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter