Which of these cities to visit with kids age 5 and 2?

Which city with kids age 5 and 2 for Presidents Day weekend?

• Baltimore

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • New Orleans

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Savannah

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Minneapolis

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We would typically go to WDW for a long weekend but are going to Disneyland this month. We have Thurs-Mon off Presidents Day weekend. It is so cold and gloomy here in Northern Illinois I really want to get away that weekend (but without another long flight). Yes I realize Minneapolis is even colder but we would do MOA which is all inside. I have been to each of these but before I had kids so not sure which would be best for them.

The weather is a wild card but I would consider Baltimore. Friday after 5 is half price at the Aquarium and for my family, that was a perfect amount of time. It wasn’t very crowded either. There was a groupon for Ripley’s and also one for the Maryland Science Center. I also recommend a trip to Ft. McHenry. Try to get there in time for the flag raising or lowering. We never made it to Port Discovery but it is appropriate for your children. Lots of good food around there as well but the prices are definitely higher than we are accustomed to in our small town.

I go somewhere that it's warm enough for the kids to play outside, maybe even go swimming. I can't really think of much that would hold the attention of kids at that age.

I would do New Orleans and save Baltimore for warmer weather when you can enjoy the harbor, zoo, a game at Oriole Park, and other outside activities.

What about an indoor water park like Great Wolf Lodge? At 2 and 5, you can keep them busy in water for a looonnnnnggggg time!

Or maybe the gulf coast of Florida for some sunshine and beach time? Siesta Key etc...

I love Baltimore, but it’s much better when the weather is warmer. I don’t think I’d do New Orleans with kids that young. Minneapolis is do-able, but the kids may be bored.

I think most kids that age are going to be bored just going to any city unless it has some sort of great attraction say I don't know WDW. ;)

Most would be happy with an indoor pool at the local Marriott. :)

I'm not sure Savannah or New Orleans is going to work since you didn't want a long plane ride. I'm not sure when President's Day is ( I know bad girl) but NO might not be warm enough if you are trying to get away from cold. Right now we are having a bit of a cold snap here in Georgia and while there won't be snow down here we do get some cold. Could be because I'm southern but I don't think NO or Sav. is warm enough until around mid to late April to swim.

We do go to the Dells to the indoor water parks every year. Kids love it but I would like to try something new. Also have thought about Gulf coast but most areas look like the beach is the main attraction and I thought it might be too cold for that. Thanks for all the replies

The weather in New Orleans could be hit or miss that weekend. We've had an unusually cold winter this year. But there have been years when late February is warm. New Orleans has a wonderful Aquarium of the Americas and Insectarium that are both in doors that your kids would love. There's also the wonderful Audobon Zoo that is perfect for that age.

There's also a great Mardi Gras Museum and other family attractions in and around the city. Don't completely count it out until you give it a look.

And I just Googled and there are several nice hotels in New Orleans with indoor heated swimming pools.

The weather is a wild card but I would consider Baltimore. Friday after 5 is half price at the Aquarium and for my family, that was a perfect amount of time. It wasn’t very crowded either. There was a groupon for Ripley’s and also one for the Maryland Science Center. I also recommend a trip to Ft. McHenry. Try to get there in time for the flag raising or lowering. We never made it to Port Discovery but it is appropriate for your children. Lots of good food around there as well but the prices are definitely higher than we are accustomed to in our small town.
I spent time in Baltimore for Work and love their aquarium. Thanks for the additional suggestions!

The weather in New Orleans could be hit or miss that weekend. We've had an unusually cold winter this year. But there have been years when late February is warm. New Orleans has a wonderful Aquarium of the Americas and Insectarium that are both in doors that your kids would love. There's also the wonderful Audobon Zoo that is perfect for that age.

There's also a great Mardi Gras Museum and other family attractions in and around the city. Don't completely count it out until you give it a look.

And I just Googled and there are several nice hotels in New Orleans with indoor heated swimming pools.
The aquarium and the zoo were what put NOLA on my list. Nice to know they have indoor water parks too! Thank you for the suggestions!

FYI, the water park of America in Minneapolis was just redone into a GReat Wolf and is less than a couple miles from MOA. Haven’t been there yet but even more to do over there now but it’s not warm during that time of year..

Also in Baltimore is the B & O Museum. We had a meet of former DIS friends there 2 summers ago and all ages, 2 years to 63 years, enjoyed it. It could be very cold that weekend though.

I'd say other and vote for Washington DC. If the weather is decent the zoo is so much fun. If it isn't the Smithsonian museums offer so much. We took our daughter several times as a toddler/early elementary and she loved the Natural History museum.

Since you don’t really want to fly, it’s sounding like Minnesota is going to be most convenient for you. The MOA and the nearby indoor water park, both sound inviting.

Since you don’t really want to fly, it’s sounding like Minnesota is going to be most convenient for you. The MOA and the nearby indoor water park, both sound inviting.
I used to enjoy flying but it is a lot more challenging with kids and a car seat etc. We also live 2 1/2 hours from OHare and it seems like every flight we have had for the past 2 years has been delayed! By the time we go through all that we could have driven 8 hours! LOL. We even drive to WDW usually 14-15 hours the first day and 3 or so the next morning. We welcome a good road trip. Def going to have to fly to Disneyland though. Fingers crossed for good weather and no delays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!