Which Olivander's, IOA or Studios

MDH

The Dude
Is there one over the other we should go to? My kids, 12,10,and 6 are beyond excited and are of course hoping to get picked. They understand that they might not, yet at the same time I'd like to raise the odds as much as possible. We're going as a large group, 8 people, so depending on capacity of the show that could really help. Does each location have the same capacity, or does one take more guests in at a time. I'd obviously try for the smaller capacity location if one exists. Thanks :)

The rooms all have the same capacity. However, there are more of them at Universal and so a much shorter wait time. There have been many times I saw a 30+ minute wait at IOA and no wait at Universal, other than waiting for the next one to start. If having a kid picked is very important, go first thing in the morning at opening. You will end up waiting longer for the rides but it’s possible you will be the only ones in the room. Most people go directly to the headliners.

My DD12 got picked. She is such a HP fan so she was beyond excited. We were in IoA. It was early in the morning but there was a long line so the room was definitely full. It was just her & I in our party. She was wearing a HP robe & has bright red hair. Not sure if either of those things helped her get picked. Or maybe it's just where you stand, I have no idea. Just a thought but how will your other 2 kids feel if the third one gets picked? I know that would cause some friction with my 3! Luckily we were just on a mother/daughter trip.

Well my kids are pretty good at understanding "the rules are the rules" and we've told them how it works. Ideally if one gets picked I'd hope that the other two could stand by the one that is having the wand chosen. I've seen videos of things like this happening, so I don't THINK that should be a problem. They all know to just be happy for the one that gets picked and hopefully enjoy getting to stand beside them. Thoughts?

Is there one over the other we should go to? My kids, 12,10,and 6 are beyond excited and are of course hoping to get picked. They understand that they might not, yet at the same time I'd like to raise the odds as much as possible. We're going as a large group, 8 people, so depending on capacity of the show that could really help. Does each location have the same capacity, or does one take more guests in at a time. I'd obviously try for the smaller capacity location if one exists. Thanks :)

Well my kids are pretty good at understanding "the rules are the rules" and we've told them how it works. Ideally if one gets picked I'd hope that the other two could stand by the one that is having the wand chosen. I've seen videos of things like this happening, so I don't THINK that should be a problem. They all know to just be happy for the one that gets picked and hopefully enjoy getting to stand beside them. Thoughts?

Will they understand that only one of them gets the 'special' wand that picks them though? The other two will not be offered wands, will they? I mean, you can buy them in the shop, but the 'wand picks the owner' part wouldn't happen for the other two kids.

Oh yeah that's fine. We explain to them that it's a show. Its not real. Same way when we are in the Disney parks, that it's not really snow white, is an actor dressed up as. Saves a lot of heart break. Some people might say we are stealing the magic, I feel I'm just grounding my kids in reality a little. To each their own absolutely though.

we found that in the last hour of park time (7-8 on Saturday) there was not much of a line for the wand ceremony in Diagon Alley. My wife took my daughter through it 2 (maybe 3?) times and managed to get her picked. She was wearing a very cute Hufflepuff school uniform, which may have helped?

When we early-entried Hogsmeade each day, the line for the wand ceremony was already pretty long by the time we made it back there.

When you say 'stand beside', you do realize that the two siblings wouldn't be invited to come up and stand along beside the chosen sibling?

My 9-year-old daughter was picked in an early morning (the first?) show at IoA one morning last month. She was wearing a Ravenclaw robe and uniform that day, and Ollivander said that since she had already been sorted, it was time to get her wand. We were about in the middle of the group of people that they let into that show (so not first or last).

We stopped by the US one today. I think the reason it doesn't tend to have as long a line as the IOA one is that you might not even know its there unless you are specifically looking for it. The walk into the wand "room" is a little different than the IOA version and maybe its a bit smaller, but otherwise its the same show.

BTW, while there were two pre-teen girls watching (one of which was in HP robes), my 22 year old daughter, in jeans and a tee-shirt was picked. So I have no idea what they look for. :crazy2:

When you say 'stand beside', you do realize that the two siblings wouldn't be invited to come up and stand along beside the chosen sibling?
That is exactly what I mean. I've had reports from varying people that this can happen and that litle siblings can just stand there while the inivitee interacts with Olivander.

My DD was picked twice. One occasion she wasn't picked but they told her to wait at the end. As everyone left, he did a mini ceremony for her. She was wearing her robes at the time.

at the end, the wand must still be purchased tho, correct? what are the prices of the wands, what if you are given one that is above budget?

at the end, the wand must still be purchased tho, correct? what are the prices of the wands, what if you are given one that is above budget?

Yes, the wand must be purchased. If the wand is above your budget, that is something to be worked out between you and your child. The wands are $43.95 plus tax while the interactive wands are $49.95 plus tax.

While I realize how that would be great for the children who aren't chosen for the ceremony, please remember that many other children have stood in the same line to attend that same show. The space for this show is very limited, having three people stand at the counter would block the view of every other person who stood in line for the same show. Just something to keep in mind.

I will certainly keep that in mind. My kids are all quite short, I doubt their heads would crest much above the counter top, so if we are lucky enough to be chosen, I doubt very much e'd block anyone's view.

Yes, the wand must be purchased. If the wand is above your budget, that is something to be worked out between you and your child. The wands are $43.95 plus tax while the interactive wands are $49.95 plus tax.

You do not have to buy a wand whether chosen or not. If you are chosen for the show you have the option to buy your wand. You are not obligated to do so.

Will they understand that only one of them gets the 'special' wand that picks them though? The other two will not be offered wands, will they? I mean, you can buy them in the shop, but the 'wand picks the owner' part wouldn't happen for the other two kids.

There is nothing special about the wand. From what we gleaned during our expetience, it’s based on the birth month you tell them at some point. You can 100% just get that on your own. The only thing interesting is that they have it right there. And then you go to a register and buy it.

Our issue was a son who was too tired to remember that since he already had a HarryP wand he was going to give the wand to his dad (which is why he told them dad’s birth month). Then he wanted it. And Dad went along with it. Then dad wanted his own wand.

And so it began.

My DD was picked when she was 18 (at Hogsmeade before Diagon Alley was opened). We were the first in line for the last show of the night. She wasn't wearing anything special, and she was surprised because there were smaller children in the crowd she thought would have been picked. We didn't buy the wand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter