Which parking lot?

goodeats

DIS Veteran
Haven't been to the parks since August 2017. Planning to make rope drop at DL on Friday (in the rain!). Park opens at 9:00 and no MM. Coming from the South, so NB 5. In the past I've had issues with Anaheim PD closing access to the parking structure at Mickey & Friends. I know you can make two uturns to catch the flyover, but is that worth the hassle? Are security lines shorter at M&F versus the Harbor side?

Should I exit Disney Way and head to Toy Story, exit Harbor to head to Mickey and Friends, or exit Lincoln and head down Manchester to the flyover?

If the lines for the shuttles are long and there is heavier traffic on Harbor going north, you can beat the shuttle to the Harbor drop off if you are a fast walker. We've done that a few times. Barely beat the shuttle, but it felt better than standing in line, then standing on a bus.

Haven't been to the parks since August 2017. Planning to make rope drop at DL on Friday (in the rain!). Park opens at 9:00 and no MM. Coming from the South, so NB 5. In the past I've had issues with Anaheim PD closing access to the parking structure at Mickey & Friends. I know you can make two uturns to catch the flyover, but is that worth the hassle? Are security lines shorter at M&F versus the Harbor side?

Should I exit Disney Way and head to Toy Story, exit Harbor to head to Mickey and Friends, or exit Lincoln and head down Manchester to the flyover?

At that time I'd do the exit Lincoln and do the flyover, personally.

I'm with ashley. I'd do the flyover. I've always found M&F to be more 'efficient" than TS. Last trip BFF & I did an informal experiment as we were arriving separately. I was in the parks within 20 minutes from M&F from shutting my car door to through the turnstile. It took her nearer 40 from TS.

(This may change once they open the new structure, though. Especially if both structures funnel to one bag check and/or tram area.)

Haven't been to the parks since August 2017. Planning to make rope drop at DL on Friday (in the rain!)...
Okay, if it's raining, I'd go with M&F. Bag check there is inside the first floor of the structure, so you'd at least be dry while going through and while waiting for the tram. And bag check at M&F is usually quite quick and easy. It might look like there's a line outside the structure, but they take guests through in large groups, so the line moves quickly. Security at M&F almost always moves faster than security on the Harbor side.

so crazy that you posted this thread, i have spent all morning tryna find comparisons, i was hoping someone on youtube would go into better review of it. we have only ever done toy story

so crazy that you posted this thread, i have spent all morning tryna find comparisons, i was hoping someone on youtube would go into better review of it. we have only ever done toy story

Yes I searched for awhile and found threads from 2016, so I figured it was worthwhile to ask.

Would love more info on process of parking and getting to the front gates? And what the heck is flyover? This will be our first time, could you tell lol

Would love more info on process of parking and getting to the front gates? And what the heck is flyover? This will be our first time, could you tell lol
Where are you coming from? North of the parks or south? If coming from north of the parks, park in the Mickey & Friends parking structure. The flyover is the ramp from the 5 fwy (southbound) the exits for Disneyland and takes you directly to M&F. Be aware that the flyover isn't always open -- so don't get caught off guard. Just watch the overhead signs. (If the flyover isn't open, you'll just use the regular freeway exit.) If you are coming to DLR from the south, park in the Toy Story lot on Harbor. Both lots cost $25/day for all day parking with in and out privileges (keep your parking stub to show the CMs).
Getting to the parks: M&F has a tram to the parks from the structure. You'll go through bag check/security before getting on the trams. The trams drop you off in DTD. From there, it's a very short walk to the esplanade between the parks -- maybe 2 minutes? Left for DL, right for DCA.
Toy Story has shuttle buses that take you to the Harbor side entrance for the esplanade between the parks. You'll go through bag check/security before entering the esplanade. Once you go through bag check, you'll enter the esplanade and choose which park you want: left for DCA, right for DL -- easy!
If your hotel is walking distance to the parks, don't drive -- save the money and time involved. Just walk. If your hotel is close, but not walkable -- you might think about using Uber/Lyft. A roundtrip ride might be less than $25/day. Just something to think about. Driving and parking at DLR adds a lot of time and money on to your trip, so it's worth thinking this through.

At that time I'd do the exit Lincoln and do the flyover, personally.

This is what I would probably do. Although when I get there early for rope drop, I don't usually have an issue getting off at Harbor and then turning onto Ball to the structure either. I come from the NB 5 (south of the parks) and always park in the structure. I am not really a fan of Toy Story parking area and find it not to be easier.

Where are you coming from? North of the parks or south? If coming from north of the parks, park in the Mickey & Friends parking structure. The flyover is the ramp from the 5 fwy (southbound) the exits for Disneyland and takes you directly to M&F. Be aware that the flyover isn't always open -- so don't get caught off guard. Just watch the overhead signs. (If the flyover isn't open, you'll just use the regular freeway exit.) If you are coming to DLR from the south, park in the Toy Story lot on Harbor. Both lots cost $25/day for all day parking with in and out privileges (keep your parking stub to show the CMs).
Getting to the parks: M&F has a tram to the parks from the structure. You'll go through bag check/security before getting on the trams. The trams drop you off in DTD. From there, it's a very short walk to the esplanade between the parks -- maybe 2 minutes? Left for DL, right for DCA.
Toy Story has shuttle buses that take you to the Harbor side entrance for the esplanade between the parks. You'll go through bag check/security before entering the esplanade. Once you go through bag check, you'll enter the esplanade and choose which park you want: left for DCA, right for DL -- easy!
If your hotel is walking distance to the parks, don't drive -- save the money and time involved. Just walk. If your hotel is close, but not walkable -- you might think about using Uber/Lyft. A roundtrip ride might be less than $25/day. Just something to think about. Driving and parking at DLR adds a lot of time and money on to your trip, so it's worth thinking this through.
I will be staying at the travelodge on ball and and disneyland dr, so I guess I will park at mickey and friends, I would walk but with the kids doesnt seem like the best option. I'm glad security is covered at the lot. I didnt want to mess with it at the gate. Thanks for the info

I will be staying at the travelodge on ball and and disneyland dr, so I guess I will park at mickey and friends, I would walk but with the kids doesnt seem like the best option. I'm glad security is covered at the lot. I didnt want to mess with it at the gate. Thanks for the info
If it's not raining, the walk is pretty doable -- about 10 minutes at most? (How many kids/strollers? This could save you $25/day for a 2-3 minute drive.) Cross Disneyland Dr. toward the Majestic Garden across the street. (You want to be on that side of Disneyland Dr.) Cross Ball heading south. Continue south until you get to the signal and crosswalk at Magic Way. (This is the first light -- you can't miss it.) Cross and enter the pathway right on the corner into the M&F area -- CMs will guide you across the tram route toward the structure. Enter the structure on the ground level, go through bag check/security, get in line for the next tram.
Other option (if you don't need car seats or have travel boosters) is to Uber to the DTD drop off/pick up -- about 5 minutes or less from your hotel. There is a 15 minute grace period so drivers don't have to pay for parking.

Last edited:
Oh man, walking or Uber-ing is 1000 easier than driving and parking and dealing with all of that.

If it's not raining, the walk is pretty doable -- about 10 minutes at most? (How many kids/strollers? This could save you $25/day for a 2-3 minute drive.) Cross Disneyland Dr. toward the Majestic Garden across the street. (You want to be on that side of Disneyland Dr.) Cross Ball heading south. Continue south until you get to the signal and crosswalk at Magic Way. (This is the first light -- you can't miss it.) Cross and enter the pathway right on the corner into the M&F area -- CMs will guide you across the tram route toward the structure. Enter the structure on the ground level, go through bag check/security, get in line for the next tram.
Other option (if you don't need car seats or have travel boosters) is to Uber to the DTD drop off/pick up -- about 5 minutes or less from your hotel. There is a 15 minute grace period so drivers don't have to pay for parking.
Oh man, walking or Uber-ing is 1000 easier than driving and parking and dealing with all of that.
I have 5 kids, one that is 8 months, so not sure it would be worth the walk, maybe we will try it on our DCA day. But uber is pretty much out because we would need a seat and I wouldn't want to mess with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter