Which resort?!? Advice needed :)

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
Ok we finally figured a date we’re 100% going to DL. I’m so excited, but I have been so back-and-forth on which hotel.

The Disneyland Hotel I like because it seems to be more themed towards a Disney we will be staying in a one bedroom suite or possibly a two bedroom. I think that the pool looks more fun and the waterslides.

The grand California hotel looks to be a little more luxury and nicer. I dislike how the rooms don’t really look Disney at all and I don’t understand why they don’t incorporate more themed into the rooms but we also won’t be hanging out in our room so I’m not sure how much it matters. The grand California hotel looks to be a little more luxury and nicer? The pools look Nice just lacks the fun slides. I know that both are in walking distance of the parks but a big plus for me is the entrance into California adventure from grande California.

My kids will be 11 & 7 when we go. Advice. What do you love about each which would you choose? This will probably be a one time trip and we will be staying seven or eight nights with probably only three or four Park days.

I would definitely choose the DLH for the pools and slides! Plus I just really like the DLH, lots of Disney touches and I love the grounds!

We just stayed at the DLH last week. Only for one night. We haven't stayed at a resort hotel in years-as we were priced out! Had not been to the DLH since before the remodel. My DH and I were commenting how much we LOVED it! We felt so comfortable there, in the room and on property. It was a wonderful stay! We went to the pool and my kids (11 and 9) loved it! Unfortunately, the slides were closed. But that was the only disappointing thing about the trip. We had forgotten how magical it was to stay on property. We loved the headboard and the room size and the really large windows in the room.

To be fair, I have not stayed at the Grand in 15 years. While the lobby is gorgeous, the rooms felt smaller and darker to me. And like you said, the DLH feels much more Disney to me.

Maybe watch some youtube videos for both hotels and decide as a family which you would prefer?

Absolutely go to the DLH. It is the original hotel of all Disney properties. Be sure to look around the main tower at all of the old pictures. And don't forget to light up the headboard at night. The place is fantastic. We are staying 8 nights this fall and I can't wait !!

The Grand is not very Disney like. The lobby of the place seems to be why people love it but the lobby is usually crowded with people who are not even staying there. Also the rooms are small compared to the DLH. Its not worth it imho.

Last edited:

Ok we finally figured a date we’re 100% going to DL. I’m so excited, but I have been so back-and-forth on which hotel.

The Disneyland Hotel I like because it seems to be more themed towards a Disney we will be staying in a one bedroom suite or possibly a two bedroom. I think that the pool looks more fun and the waterslides.

The grand California hotel looks to be a little more luxury and nicer. I dislike how the rooms don’t really look Disney at all and I don’t understand why they don’t incorporate more themed into the rooms but we also won’t be hanging out in our room so I’m not sure how much it matters. The grand California hotel looks to be a little more luxury and nicer? The pools look Nice just lacks the fun slides. I know that both are in walking distance of the parks but a big plus for me is the entrance into California adventure from grande California.

My kids will be 11 & 7 when we go. Advice. What do you love about each which would you choose? This will probably be a one time trip and we will be staying seven or eight nights with probably only three or four Park days.
The DLH pool is great for the ages of your kids. The pool area is every roomy.

A word of caution... KNOW the HOURS the SLIDES are open!
We found they were only open until about 5pm.
So we were disappointed when we went to the pool for a little fun after a day in the parks.

Certainly, the location of the Grand California is unbeatable. I just don't think it's worth the extra money.

It sounds like you are set on a Disney hotel. At Disneyland, I no longer stay at a Disney property. The off-site hotels are close and a fraction of the price.

I’ve stayed at all 3. I like DLH theming the best but I think the pool at GCH is better. Not as crowded. Also the walk from DLH is far. Staying on Harbor is closer. I know the monorail has a stop near DLH but it’s down a lot so can’t count on it. If you don’t mind walking or swimming in a pool like a sardine with others than stay there 😂. I do think GCH is overpriced but location can’t be beat

I’ve stayed at all 3. I like DLH theming the best but I think the pool at GCH is better. Not as crowded. Also the walk from DLH is far. Staying on Harbor is closer. I know the monorail has a stop near DLH but it’s down a lot so can’t count on it. If you don’t mind walking or swimming in a pool like a sardine with others than stay there 😂. I do think GCH is overpriced but location can’t be beat

Crowded pools is def something to consider. I def dont want to be a sardine. I didn't think the walk was that far? But Ive never been so I don't know. I mean is it like 5 min or like a 20 min walk.

The walk from the DLH to the turnstiles is about 10-12 mins and dead flat. Plus you’re in DD within a couple of mins. So no, not far at all.
Personally I prefer the DLH, feels more Disney to me. The pool is great but strangely in the middle of a bit of a thoroughfare overlooked by passers by and can get a bit crowded. Who cares though, you’re staying there and they aren’t 👍😁. I’ve never been/seen it at sardine status but I’ve never been in the middle of summer.
The Grand Californian is nice but doesn’t have that Disney feel to me. I’d only stay again if I got a stonking good rate or could rent points.
Have a great trip, there’s no bad decision.
All the best.

They are both great options. It’s personal preference as to which you would like the best. The DLH used to be my favorite but I currently prefer GCH. I prefer GCH for its location, balconys, rooms with a touch of luxury, and quieter, more relaxing pool atmosphere.

However, with your kids ages I’d probably go with DLH. The pool situation for kids is far superior at DLH. My kids (12 & 9) love the pools at DLH. The DLH has a “fun” vibe which kids like. It seems there are more roaming characters at DLH although we do see them at GCH too.

There isn’t a bad choice here! If you are really torn and have a long enough trip you could split up your hotel and try them both!
You are choosing between 2 good options.

Crowded pools is def something to consider. I def dont want to be a sardine. I didn't think the walk was that far? But Ive never been so I don't know. I mean is it like 5 min or like a 20 min walk.

Depends how fast you walk, maybe 15 minutes. The pool is great for kids but does get crowded. No joke, one time we went we could only stand in the water to cool off because so many people were swimming too. Then everyone had to get out for a while because I’m guessing a dirty diaper or something. I do like the hotel for other reasons though, Trader Sams is great and I love the rooms. Overlooking downtown Disney is a good view. Just depends what you’re looking for, both are good hotels

They are both great options. It’s personal preference as to which you would like the best. The DLH used to be my favorite but I currently prefer GCH. I prefer GCH for its location, balconys, rooms with a touch of luxury, and quieter, more relaxing pool atmosphere.

However, with your kids ages I’d probably go with DLH. The pool situation for kids is far superior at DLH. My kids (12 & 9) love the pools at DLH. The DLH has a “fun” vibe which kids like. It seems there are more roaming characters at DLH although we do see them at GCH too.

There isn’t a bad choice here! If you are really torn and have a long enough trip you could split up your hotel and try them both!
You are choosing between 2 good options.

This is so hard. I like luxury feel and I like how close it is the parks especially DCA. The crowded pools worry me. Busy crazy pools give me anxiety. BUT I do think kids would like DLH better. UGH!!! I don't think husband would wanna move hotels lol

This is so hard. I like luxury feel and I like how close it is the parks especially DCA. The crowded pools worry me. Busy crazy pools give me anxiety. BUT I do think kids would like DLH better. UGH!!! I don't think husband would wanna move hotels lol
Granted I’ve only stayed twice and both stays were the first week in November, but I didn’t experience super crazy pools at the DLH. Both of those weekends were crowded (Dapper Day) and warm enough to swim, in fact one visit it was 80-90 degrees. People were in the pools for sure but I never felt crowded at all, could always find a chair too.

We were there last week and didn't head to the pools until around 2pm on Friday, and easily found 3 chairs. I could pop up and find my kids in the pool super fast without an issue as well. I never felt like it was crazy crowded. And, to note, the slides were closed....so that area wasn't even open to sit, and it still did not feel crowded to me.

We currently love the GCH and have stayed there the last 5-6 times we have gone. We did stay at the DLH in a one bedroom about 3 years ago. At that time my kids were 11 and 8. My kids absolutely loved the DLH pools at those ages, but the slides felt too "little kid" for them, even at those ages. But they loved the pools. The rooms seemed somewhat worn to me even though the refurb had not been that long ago at that time. We saw no characters there but we are not in the room much, so maybe that was the issue. There are very few rooms with balconies at DLH, which was a big downside for us, as we like to sit out there in the evenings. It just felt somewhat removed from it all, being all the way at the end of DTD (and now, more so than when we stayed at DLH, as there is even less at that end of DTD since a lot of things closed down on that end due to a planned new hotel that didn't pan out; some of the storefronts sit empty still).

Now that the girls are older, the pools at GCH are good for them, and they are much, much less crowded than the pools at DLH. I love craftsman style, and after the recent refurb, the rooms are not dark anymore; you are right I feel it is much more of a luxury feel than the DLH. There are by all means Disney touches there at the GCH, but they are more subtle. But you will see Chip and Dale woven into the carpet in the halls, hidden Mickey's, a little mural on the pull down bed, etc. It does not scream Disney, but then again, I don't want that! The access to DCA is unbeatable! We LOVE this part of GCH. When looking at a map (and even when timing it), the walk to DLH compared to GCH does not seem that much longer. But to dog-tired feet that have already walked 18,000-26,000 steps that day (these numbers are from our trip 3 weeks ago), the extra walk to DLH felt like it would kill me!!! I love the pin trading event at 5pm each night with CMs in the GCH lobby (my girls love pin trading). I love to watch WOC from the observation deck at GCH when we are too tired to stay for the actual show in the park. We have stayed in a 2 bedroom at GCH and having multiple balconies was amazing!

I think you can't go wrong with either hotel, they are both great options but just very different! I would personally advise against a split stay because it just takes a lot of time and effort. We had to move rooms within the GCH 3 weeks ago, and only stayed in the first room one night (and knew we would be moving rooms the next day). Even with the hotel letting us keep our first room until 4pm when the next room was ready (since the reason we had to move rooms was a mix up on the part of the front desk of the GCH), it was still disruptive. If you do a split stay, you will be repacking all the bags for 4 people, have no room for several hours on the moving day, and then have to get resettled that evening. It takes away park/family time. It would allow you to sample both hotels, but it is not worth the hassle to me.

One last suggestion, if you decide to stay at the GCH, you can rent a cabana for the day at the DLH, which gives you access to their pools for that day (or vice versa). That way your kiddos could explore those pools.

Disney will switch your bags for you if you leave them with the bellhop.

We currently love the GCH and have stayed there the last 5-6 times we have gone. We did stay at the DLH in a one bedroom about 3 years ago. At that time my kids were 11 and 8. My kids absolutely loved the DLH pools at those ages, but the slides felt too "little kid" for them, even at those ages. But they loved the pools. The rooms seemed somewhat worn to me even though the refurb had not been that long ago at that time. We saw no characters there but we are not in the room much, so maybe that was the issue. There are very few rooms with balconies at DLH, which was a big downside for us, as we like to sit out there in the evenings. It just felt somewhat removed from it all, being all the way at the end of DTD (and now, more so than when we stayed at DLH, as there is even less at that end of DTD since a lot of things closed down on that end due to a planned new hotel that didn't pan out; some of the storefronts sit empty still).

Now that the girls are older, the pools at GCH are good for them, and they are much, much less crowded than the pools at DLH. I love craftsman style, and after the recent refurb, the rooms are not dark anymore; you are right I feel it is much more of a luxury feel than the DLH. There are by all means Disney touches there at the GCH, but they are more subtle. But you will see Chip and Dale woven into the carpet in the halls, hidden Mickey's, a little mural on the pull down bed, etc. It does not scream Disney, but then again, I don't want that! The access to DCA is unbeatable! We LOVE this part of GCH. When looking at a map (and even when timing it), the walk to DLH compared to GCH does not seem that much longer. But to dog-tired feet that have already walked 18,000-26,000 steps that day (these numbers are from our trip 3 weeks ago), the extra walk to DLH felt like it would kill me!!! I love the pin trading event at 5pm each night with CMs in the GCH lobby (my girls love pin trading). I love to watch WOC from the observation deck at GCH when we are too tired to stay for the actual show in the park. We have stayed in a 2 bedroom at GCH and having multiple balconies was amazing!

I think you can't go wrong with either hotel, they are both great options but just very different! I would personally advise against a split stay because it just takes a lot of time and effort. We had to move rooms within the GCH 3 weeks ago, and only stayed in the first room one night (and knew we would be moving rooms the next day). Even with the hotel letting us keep our first room until 4pm when the next room was ready (since the reason we had to move rooms was a mix up on the part of the front desk of the GCH), it was still disruptive. If you do a split stay, you will be repacking all the bags for 4 people, have no room for several hours on the moving day, and then have to get resettled that evening. It takes away park/family time. It would allow you to sample both hotels, but it is not worth the hassle to me.

One last suggestion, if you decide to stay at the GCH, you can rent a cabana for the day at the DLH, which gives you access to their pools for that day (or vice versa). That way your kiddos could explore those pools.

Thank you for this. I was almost set on the DLH because my daughter checked out the hotel online and said that one looks more fun. But after your comments about the pool slides seeming to little and GCH being less crowded I think Im more drawn too it. My feet kill me and I agree after walking so much all day it would be great to be SO close to the hotel. I dont think Id like the feeling of being so far from everything at the end of Disney Springs. We can always go check the hotel out during free time just to explore. But we're very on the go and dont really stay around the hotel much so not having a huge Disney feel might be ok. GCH is a lot pricier for the suites but probably worth it. We always do at least a 1 bedroom suite. How are the views? I really dont want to over look a parking lot ha. I def wouldn't do a split stay it just seems like a hassle to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter