Which resort?!? Advice needed :)

If you want a shorter walk, luxury feel, balcony, and a great lobby to hang out in go with GCH. If you want Disney history, tropical swim pools, and the slides/water play area for the kids choose DLH. I don’t personally think the slides at DLH are “little kid”. The slide at GCH is much smaller.

We love GCH and that is my first choice. When we go to the pool at GCH my kids swim a little and then they just relax in the chairs. Sometimes even napping.

Thank you for this. I was almost set on the DLH because my daughter checked out the hotel online and said that one looks more fun. But after your comments about the pool slides seeming to little and GCH being less crowded I think Im more drawn too it. My feet kill me and I agree after walking so much all day it would be great to be SO close to the hotel. I dont think Id like the feeling of being so far from everything at the end of Disney Springs. We can always go check the hotel out during free time just to explore. But we're very on the go and dont really stay around the hotel much so not having a huge Disney feel might be ok. GCH is a lot pricier for the suites but probably worth it. We always do at least a 1 bedroom suite. How are the views? I really dont want to over look a parking lot ha. I def wouldn't do a split stay it just seems like a hassle to me.

If view concerns you for suites definitely don't do DLH.

Last time we stayed there, we checked in at 9 am, our room wasn't ready until after 5 and after a lot of hassle to get into our room our view was....the parking lot and a roof. Combined with the slides being down and that end of Downtown Disney being a ghost town, we were pretty disappointed.

Our previous stay on property had been the GCH, and DLH really fell short for us.
The thing we loved most about GCH was walking in from the parks and having the pool RIGHT there.
In ten minutes we could be from parks to pool. Plus they had full showers with soap and everything in the bathrooms.

It made great for midday breaks. The afternoons are hot and busy and on crowded days we've found them to be almost entirely unproductive unless we're seeing a show or have a fastpass, so we loved spending the yuckiest part of the day lounging in (the really comfortable) lounge chairs and take a dip in the pools. We went in summer and didn't find them too crowded or noisy-we even napped by the pool one day!!
DLH pool felt crowded to us and while we found chairs they were far from the pool or lacked an umbrella (which I need because I can't be in the sun too much due a history of skin cancer).

I think everyone here has had different DLH and GC experiences. I personally have had 1 terrible and 2 nothing above average stays at GC. And we’ve also stayed in a room at GC that wasn’t much better of a walk than staying at DLH due to the distance. My daughter (8, 9, and 11 when we stayed at GC) was not a fan of their pool at all. The pool is a big deal for her and GCs pool slides were definitely too “little kid” for her. She is 12 now and still loves the water slides. My husband and I also enjoy sliding down the two larger ones. I have stayed at DLH many, many, many times and have never experienced the overcrowding issue at the pools as others have said. I was there over Memorial Day weekend and had no issues. The suites are all of the top floors of the towers, so you definitely aren’t eye level with an ugly parking garage with any of them. We’ve stayed in suites every time and have always had either a spectacular DTD and parks view or a view of the pool. Also, some of the Frontier tower suites have balconies.

And I’d like to point out that the DLH is not AS luxurious as GC, it is certainly not a Motel 6. If you are looking for luxury and your kids really want to stay at DLH, I suggest getting a Concierge room or add Concierge onto a suite. The concierge lounge at DLH is AMAZING and the service is phenomenal.

I stayed at DLH for the first time two weeks ago, and agree that it has a better "Disney" feel to it, plus the rooms have more room than those at GCH. We were looking forward to the pools, but were unlucky with the slides being closed for construction, and we also thought that the pool temperature was way too warm. I had to take a cool bath back in the room to get the cooldown I was looking for after a warm day in the parks. Our pool experience was crowded and chairs were not available.

My vote overall is GCH because the pools are very refreshing, and the walk distance did make a difference for my sore feet! I would stay at DLH again, but prefer GCH.

Thank you for this. I was almost set on the DLH because my daughter checked out the hotel online and said that one looks more fun. But after your comments about the pool slides seeming to little and GCH being less crowded I think Im more drawn too it. My feet kill me and I agree after walking so much all day it would be great to be SO close to the hotel. I dont think Id like the feeling of being so far from everything at the end of Disney Springs. We can always go check the hotel out during free time just to explore. But we're very on the go and dont really stay around the hotel much so not having a huge Disney feel might be ok. GCH is a lot pricier for the suites but probably worth it. We always do at least a 1 bedroom suite. How are the views? I really dont want to over look a parking lot ha. I def wouldn't do a split stay it just seems like a hassle to me.
We just switched our August reservation from DLH to GCH as well. My wife and I want the shortest walk possible for us and the kids. In the past we haven't spent much time at the hotels because of distance but with GCH being so close we’ll probably be more inclined to stop off at our rooms for some quick breaks. “Got soaked on grizzly river rapids? Ok, np, We’ll just walk 2mins to our room for a quick change.” You can’t beat the distance imo.

Last edited:
I actually haven’t stayed at DLH because I can’t justify a farther walk, especially considering the monorail tends to not work early morning. I have done the pools though and while my kids liked it, they like the Grand pools too. We LOVE. The Grand for its location and calm feel. If you always get a bedroom suite, have you looked into renting Disney vacation club points for villas at the grand? You do have to plan that out 7-11 months in advance though.

You're welcome! We just got back yesterday from another stay (SWGE pulled us back in 3 weeks after our last trip...). It was perfect stay from the GCH again. CMs were so, so kind to our kids, with several remembering them from 3 weeks ago and the pin trading nights. We had to stay an extra day because of flight cancellations in Dallas due to weather, so we had time to spend the last afternoon at the pools. I agree with OPs that the slides at GCH are small and not appealing for my kids at this point (my 11 year will do the bigger slide, but it is still tame for her; I think your 7 yo would like the Redwood slide). However, the pools are so much less crowded that they just played tag and other games in the pools and loved it. Bar service was great even though the pool bar is still under refurb. Ample chairs with umbrellas poolside even though we showed up at 3:30pm on a Sunday. Our room was wonderful, and very close to the DCA entrance. 5th floor and lovely view of the courtyard/monorail. I think the views at GCH tend to be better than DLH because GCH is more "in the trees" so the parking lot views are only the standard rooms that face the front entrance (to my knowledge). The suites that we have had have been DTD views or woods/courtyard view. I have never had a true theme park view room here, but I reserve woods/courtyard and that is what I have received. Last time we did get a pool view, but I think that is because they messed up our room the first night (really not terrible: told us we had one bedding configuration when we checked in, but it was a different configuration when we finally got to the room after a full park day; not a big deal but they made it right so quickly with a move to the correct room the next day, let us keep the first room until the other room was ready (no bell services luggage storage needed), gave us free breakfast at Storytellers for our trouble (which was totally unnecessary but much appreciated)).

I was thinking of this thread when I was there this weekend, and looking for the Disney touches. They are there (and especially at the Christmas holidays when they have the huge gingerbread house in the lobby!), but really all over. Yes, you have to look for them a bit, but that is a fun scavenger hunt for your ages of kids! It feels serene, peaceful and an amazing getaway from the hustle and bustle of the parks, and it takes mere minutes to get to your serenity from DCA. If you can swing CL at GCH, even better! Walking out to the "happening" part of DTD is also such a treat!

Do consider a cabana rental at DLH if your kids want to try those slides/pools, as they are a lot of fun, but definitely busier than GCH pool area. Have fun no matter what you choose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!