Which resort SOLO

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
Ill be doing my first solo trips in about 1.5 years! I know its far away, but I like to book at least a year in advance and pay off slowly. My DD will be performing at Disney on 2 occasions in 2021 with her school. Im assuming she will be at an All Star resort ( dont know for sure), but I will be on my own. I want see her performances, but the rest of the time not sure what I will be doing.

Any resorts that are more geared towards solo travelers rather than families? Im thinking convention resorts...Yacht Club/Contemporary but Im thinking her performances will probably be in DS, so POFQ or Riverside might work for a boat ride over to DS.

Has any solo traveler preferred one hotel over another purely because it was better when being alone?

Ill be doing my first solo trips in about 1.5 years! I know its far away, but I like to book at least a year in advance and pay off slowly. My DD will be performing at Disney on 2 occasions in 2021 with her school. Im assuming she will be at an All Star resort ( dont know for sure), but I will be on my own. I want see her performances, but the rest of the time not sure what I will be doing.

Any resorts that are more geared towards solo travelers rather than families? Im thinking convention resorts...Yacht Club/Contemporary but Im thinking her performances will probably be in DS, so POFQ or Riverside might work for a boat ride over to DS.

Has any solo traveler preferred one hotel over another purely because it was better when being alone?
Depending on what type of performance, not all are held at Disney Springs. I know bands perform at MK and Choirs also used to perform there, but I’m not sure if they still do. So I wouldn’t choose a location assuming she is at DS. Some solo travelers prefer hotels with internal walkways in which case Yacht club would be your best bet. Contemporary is also very nice and I love the smell when you walk into the garden wing.

If a deluxe hotel is in your budget I’d pick that over a moderate any day. Other than seeing your daughter’s performances what are you hoping to do while you’re down there? Do you see yourself spending more time at Epcot or Magic Kingdom?

Depending on what type of performance, not all are held at Disney Springs. I know bands perform at MK and Choirs also used to perform there, but I’m not sure if they still do. So I wouldn’t choose a location assuming she is at DS. Some solo travelers prefer hotels with internal walkways in which case Yacht club would be your best bet. Contemporary is also very nice and I love the smell when you walk into the garden wing.

If a deluxe hotel is in your budget I’d pick that over a moderate any day. Other than seeing your daughter’s performances what are you hoping to do while you’re down there? Do you see yourself spending more time at Epcot or Magic Kingdom?

Yes, she is in chorus for one and A Capella for another.

I have no idea what Ill do! Definitely not MK! Probably Epcot and AK, which are my favorites, but I never made it onto Slinky Dog this past trip, so might head there one of the trips. Depending on her dates, we may extend the trip a couple of days and then I will go to MK with her, but if she will be performing in the MK, that would change everything. Youre right, I should hold off until I have more details. Sadly I probably wont until at least next September for probably March/April trips.

If stuff like Magical Express and using the Disney Dining Plan aren’t to important to you, I would recommend the Swan & Dolphin. It’s less expensive than the Disney Epcot area hotels but it has deluxe level amenities. It’s also more adult oriented because it’s a convention hotel.

If you want a Disney owned hotel, I would recommend Animal Kingdom Lodge. It’s a beautiful hotel with excellent restaurants.

I would pick your resort based around things you think you'll want to do. I have stayed solo at Animal Kingdom Lodge (which I LOVE except for bus only travel. I would stay here solo again if I planned a lot of resort time vs. park time, or if I was spending a lot of time at Animal Kingdom) and Yacht Club (which was fine, I liked it, but I am more of a MK resort person)

If/When I go solo again, I will base my stay on whatever deluxe I can get the best price on in the MK area. My favorite resort on property is Wilderness Lodge, and it's a great location for just about anything. Great bus service, and an easy boat ride to the CR or MK for the monorail.

Have fun!

If your main consideration is that you want there to be other solo adults or at least other people without kids there, I'd avoid Art of Animation and All Stars. (There do seem to be more solo adults at Pop than at the other values). For this criterion only, any of the moderates or deluxes would be fine. Yacht Club and CSR seem to get a higher proportion of adults-only visitors. Another idea if you want a place with fewer kids, is to rent DVC points and stay at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. If you do want to be near Disney Springs, then Saratoga Springs is ideal, as some of their rooms are in easy walking distance, and they also have boat transportation.

(I base my own choice of hotel on many factors, and this one isn't too high on my list, except I did feel out of place the time I stayed in a Mermaid room at AoA and saw no one else without kids.)

Im surprised so many are saying Deluxe. Ive been staying at Deluxe resorts for years now but honestly its because the rooms are larger and 3 (and before then 5) of us are in a room. Since they are conveniently located to the parks, this helps hop around especially when we need to get back to the resort and share a bathroom to get ready for dinner. Any time savings is beneficial. I stayed off site many times as a young adult, prior to kids, and at POFQ about 10 years ago. Are the mods really not great for just one person in no rush to be anywhere? $$$ is not an issue, just dont want to feel lost in a big (-ish) room alone. I do expect to be spending more time at the resort than in the parks and I prefer TS over QS, so maybe I should just rule out the mods :confused3. Thank goodness I have a long time to think about it! I appreciate the responses so far. Now I want to stay everywhere!

Im surprised so many are saying Deluxe. Ive been staying at Deluxe resorts for years now but honestly its because the rooms are larger and 3 (and before then 5) of us are in a room. Since they are conveniently located to the parks, this helps hop around especially when we need to get back to the resort and share a bathroom to get ready for dinner. Any time savings is beneficial. I stayed off site many times as a young adult, prior to kids, and at POFQ about 10 years ago. Are the mods really not great for just one person in no rush to be anywhere? $$$ is not an issue, just dont want to feel lost in a big (-ish) room alone. I do expect to be spending more time at the resort than in the parks and I prefer TS over QS, so maybe I should just rule out the mods :confused3. Thank goodness I have a long time to think about it! I appreciate the responses so far. Now I want to stay everywhere!
I’ve stayed at all levels of resorts with people and solo. The value resorts are full of young families and are nice when you don’t plan on spending time in the room but can get very loud and chaotic. POFQ is the only moderate I would ever consider. The others are too big for my taste which makes bus transportation frustrating.

But if I can afford a deluxe I will choose them especially the ones with the ability to walk to the park. If you don’t plan on spending much time at MK I’d go for Yacht Club. Animal Kingdom Lodge could also be fun but you will find more solo travelers at Yacht. I wouldn’t wait to get performance details cause that good be a long while and will only be a small part of your day. I would pick what works best for the rest of your plans while there. With resort transportation it shouldn’t be hard to get to the shows.

I have been solo a number of times and have stayed in value, moderate and deluxe and all of them are fine for solo stays. Personally, I like the Epcot resorts because I like Epcot and HS better than the other parks and spend a part of every day at each one, being able to walk to both is a huge bonus for me. I tend to stay in Swan/Dolphin now days just because it's less than the 3 WDW resorts. I tend to do split stays with a day or two at a value or moderate then move over to the deluxe. The moderate and deluxe resorts all have quiet pools, which are nice but in the moderate resorts, if you want the hot tub you have to go to the main pool, the deluxe resorts have one at the quiet pools. The moderate and deluxe are a little quieter and less busy than the value resorts.

I don't think any of the resorts can be considered more geared towards solo guests. Saying that, if you don't want to be having to walk long distances to your room then go for somewhere like French Quarter or go for a preferred room which are closer to the central hub. You could also request a room with just the king size bed rather than two queen beds. I have stayed at AS, PORS/FQ and Pop as a solo guest. I would go back to FQ of I was choosing a moderate, but, I love Pop, especially the 70s building as even the standard rooms aren't too far from everything and nice and quiet.

I try to stay at relatively compact resorts when solo. The values are good. French Quarter is nice and compact. Riverside is not compact, but has a very logical layout that makes it seem much smaller than it is, so I would be comfortable there solo. I would not be comfortable solo at Caribbean Beach or the main part of Coronado. The tower would be fine. Deluxes would all be fine. I would not want to be solo at Saratoga or Old Key West though, because they are so spread out.

I would not want to be solo at Saratoga or Old Key West though, because they are so spread out.
Have never stayed OKW but LOVE staying solo at SSR--just so quiet and peaceful and love the access to DS (both on the walking path and the boat). This next trip I am staying at POFQ because there were no accessible studios available at SSR for my dates.

Now I'm nervous… I'm planning my very first trip to WDW and am going solo. Was looking into the Moderates. Not sure I can swing the high $$$ for the Deluxe and I'd like to stay and explore for a week.

Now I'm nervous… I'm planning my very first trip to WDW and am going solo. Was looking into the Moderates. Not sure I can swing the high $$$ for the Deluxe and I'd like to stay and explore for a week.

Honestly, I agree with others recommending the Port Orleans resorts if Deluxe isn't in the cards but think you can swing a moderate. My dad and I stayed at POR last February. We were in the Alligator Bayou section. It was pretty quiet though we weren't in the "preferred" rooms. The travel between the two resorts (FQ and Riverside) is walkable so if you're ok with a little extra jaunt, you can head to your choice of restaurants. My dad and I at the end of the day stopped off at Scat Cats in FQ, got the Baton Rouge Beignets, and walked the path back to our rooms at Riverside.

I would say that Port Orleans is probably the best moderate for a solo. Great access to Disney Springs. Carriage rides. Decent enough quick service food. Etc.

Honestly, I choose a resort for solo trips the same way I do for shared trips:
1. Can I afford it?
2. Does it offer some kind of convenience or gimmick that I want?

I'm staying solo at Art of Animation early next year because I like the theme and I've wanted to stay there since it opened--otherwise I'd be at POP since a mod just isn't in the budget this time. It was always going to be one of those two because I wanted Skyliner access and both were within the budget I'd set for myself. If money were less of an object I might have gone for Caribbean Beach (again for the novelty of the Skyliner), though I know I also like Port Orleans French Quarter.

But I don't spend tons of time in the room and almost never make time for the hot tub even when one is available, so things like nicer pools etc. don't factor as heavily for me. I think it all depends on what your priorities are. I'm a woman and I've never felt unsafe at a Disney resort regardless of whether the lobby is attached, but if it weren't for wanting an AoA stay for AoA's sake, I'd look for a resort with a shorter room-to-bus walk just for convenience...again, same as I would on a shared trip. Also, I put in a room request for top floor with a lake view to increase the odds of peace and quiet...same as I would on a shared trip with other adults. I guess I just don't really see any of the WDW resorts as being more or less solo-friendly when every one of them is geared toward families. I'd just pick whichever one you like and can afford.

I enjoyed POR solo, but that was 5+ years ago. I read a few complaints recently about the quality of rooms, sadly. It's also well situated for DS, has a sister resort with special dining options but feels incredibly relaxing after a hectic day in the parks. I didn't mind the longer walks because it was a lovely setting. However, if you're thinking moderate it might just be better to buy points at a DVC. When I booked my upcoming solo trip I priced up moderate, then looked at points for a deluxe and paid about the same price. Staying AKL - Kidani for the first time in November.

I enjoyed POR solo, but that was 5+ years ago. I read a few complaints recently about the quality of rooms, sadly. It's also well situated for DS, has a sister resort with special dining options but feels incredibly relaxing after a hectic day in the parks. I didn't mind the longer walks because it was a lovely setting. However, if you're thinking moderate it might just be better to buy points at a DVC. When I booked my upcoming solo trip I priced up moderate, then looked at points for a deluxe and paid about the same price. Staying AKL - Kidani for the first time in November.

I had no problem with my POR room back in February though it's possible I got lucky with what we had in Alligator Bayou. I looked and just found out they started refurbishments for that section back in April so that could be the issue. That said you are correct about DVC.

My only issue with POR is they allow dogs and I am not a dog fan. From the maps Ive seen, they have multiple areas around the resort where the dogs can go out and play vs Yacht Club where it is only one area.

I wouldnt mind POFQ. Ive stayed there before and am not afraid of the outdoor corridors. Im from Boston :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter