Which Resort?

finchy3

Mouseketeer
Hi Gang,
We're gearing up to purchase resale but are really unsure on what resort to choose from.
I understand there are plus and minuses to all and it depends on each preference.
We would be so greatful for any guidance.

Kind regards Darren.

I would stay away from AKL, BLT, GF, they have the highest per point price.

If you go with BCV, BWV or OKW which are the lowest per point price keep in mind the DVC has an expiration date and most of the older contracts were for 40 years. With DVC being around since 97 you are already 17 years into the contract if you are buying resale.

I would go with the old adage - buy where you want to stay. Unless you will always travel off-season then it makes sense to buy at the one resort you know you will absolutely need the 11-month advantage for. For us, if we were going to have our time over and buy again, we would choose BCV or BWV for the 11-month advantage during the F&WF. Wilderness Lodge is our favourite resort but, other than Christmas, it is not usually difficult to get a reservation there (and Christmas is the one time of year we will not travel).

So, essentially, look at the resorts you will mostly want to stay at and consider how difficult it would be to book there without the home advantage.

I notice that some of the resorts have early expiry dates, which puts us off as we're in our early 40's and would prefer a longer lease.
So i suppose it brings the number of resorts down, leaving SSR,BLT,AKV and OKW, :confused3
I have discounted VGF and GCV due to expense.

Yes, obviously the expiry date of the contract will have some bearing also. To be perfectly honest, if those 4 are your choices, this would be my opinion:

OKW or SSR - perfectly good choice. Need to be careful with OKW that the contract you buy has been extended (as OKW was the first DVC resort built, owners were given option to extend the contract by 15 years - if the contract wasn't extended, it will expire in 2042). You should not have any problems getting either of those resorts at the 7-month point (except for very busy periods).

AKV - If the value or concierge rooms are important to you, buy here. Also, very pretty around Christmas time.

BLT - Not quite as high demand as it was when it first opened but still difficult to get standard or MK view here at the 7-month point. personally, unless you really want to stay at BLT (and stay in a standard or MK-view room) I wouldn't buy here.

Obviously, all of this is just my personal opinion so take it with a pinch of salt but I hope it helps.

FWIW, we own at SSR but have only stayed there once in 7 years of ownership (and more than 10 trips).

I agree with Joh's first post - buy where you want to stay.

Even the first resorts which expire in 2042 you will be at least 68 - who knows what you will want then. I would rather buy where I want to stay now and worry about we will be doing in 28 years time :rotfl:

We bought BLT as that is where we want to stay most times. We have tried a lot of the other resorts but so far only OKW has come close!

There is also no guarantee what will happen with DVC in future regarding rules changes so at the very least you need to buy somewhere you wouldn't mind be 'stuck' :goodvibes

Thanks for all the great guidance above.
We are in Orlando in April is it possible to have a look around the resorts even though we're staying off site?

Yes you can go and have a look round. There are models rooms available to view at BWV. The entrance is just past Big river Grill.

We are going to try and checkout SSR, AKV and BLT when over in April. I really like the look of BLT but with it comes the higher points required.
Looking to stay once every two years in a one bedroom, so probably need around 240 points if we choose somewhere like SSR.

Another consideration is the yearly dues, AKV out of the ones you've narrowed it down to is the most expensive.

We own at SSR and BLT, we can usually get in most places we've wanted at the 7 month window, if not we've gone on the wait list and always had it come through. If you need to travel at peak times then buy where you want to stay the most otherwise go on cost. I would go with SSR.

I own at Wilderness lodge Villas. When we were looking BLT was being pushed as it was the newest resort. As I personally like the rustic themed resorts I could not warrant the $140 a point compared to OKW at $100 and WLV at $102 a point. Value for money and more points for us was a no brainer. After renting points off a poster on this thread (great gal xx) a few times and visiting all the resorts I narrowed it down to 3.OKW which is a big resort but very lush and high chance of getting a room most times of the year. Also advantage of biggest studios and the 2 beds compared to one and a sofabed.
ALK due to theming and my love of animals. Great studios and one beds and again easier to get in than some. Dues are higher than OKW though . Finally my choice was wilderness lodge again due to theming location to MK by boat having a great beach pool , giezers and the $102 per point tag and cheap dues. Yes the contract is shorter but my motto is I can sell this one and buy another nearer the time If at 67 I want to.
As others have said go have a look round. It depends on if location is a priority though I really do not why people moan about AKLV location being "too far out". Its 20 mins on the bus to MK. Have stayed OKW (twice)SSR ,AKLV (3times) WLV , and BLT. SSR being my least favourite. Good luck and buy where you think you would want to stay the most.

We really like SSR, it doesnt have the same disney feel as some of the smaller resorts but it's a large resort with a few pools and being within walking distance to DTD is great.

May i ask what you disliked about SSR please? We're also warming to AKV :)
Just the resort in General. It did not help that we had a damp room and when we asked to change they said they were full which was not true. Others love it I personally did not and there was no theming. If we all liked the same there would be only one full resort :) . It is walkable to DTD but our second week was at AKLV and there was just no comparison . Again only my personal opinion.

Thanks Guy's!
All the posts have been a real help in pointing us in the right direction.
We are so excited for April to come around, so we can get to view some of the resorts, then return home and start the process of buying :)

I was on the phone to Disney last night and we're booked in for a tour of AKV the day we visit the park ;)

I was on the phone to Disney last night and we're booked in for a tour of AKV the day we visit the park ;)

We own at AKV and love it, it really is a personal decision. There are so many wonderful resorts to choose from each with pros and cons. Enjoy your tour and have a great holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!