Which rides at Universal?

houseofmouse5

Mouseketeer
I haven't been to either of the Universal parks in 10 yrs. I can handle roller coasters but I can't stomach many simulation rides like Star Tours. With that being said which rides should I avoid at Universal and IoA?

Ditto- the Simpsons. Minions got me a bit too. I briefly closed my eyes on Transformers and FJ but they weren't that bad.

I haven't been to either of the Universal parks in 10 yrs. I can handle roller coasters but I can't stomach many simulation rides like Star Tours. With that being said which rides should I avoid at Universal and IoA?

Like people said, Simpsons is pretty much an automatic no if you are prone to motion sickness. Transformers can get pretty touchy at points. You are going from screen to screen and the action on the screen is fast and hard to follow sometimes and can set you off. Minions is pretty mild and they have non moving benches if you want to ride without worry.

AS others said Simpsons is the main one. My DH and DS both got very nauseous from it, and that was with using sea-bands and Dramamine, but had no issues on anything else. We did not ride Minions but remember from my prior visit it made me a little queasy but not too bad. They do have stationary seats for it so if you can handle the videos without seats moving that is an option for Minions. I would just recommend skipping Simpsons

Most rides at Universal are in front of screens - the ones that make me motion sick are Simpsons and FJ (I don't care how much I love HP, not going on that ride again).

Can't do Star Tours and thought I might die on Simpsons:crazy2: I have NEVER gotten motion sickness that fast in my life. I chose not to ride Minions, Transformers, or Spiderman (was having fun in the Wizarding World with our younger daughter), but I had very little issue with FJ (one part I closed my eyes for a few seconds just to "recalibrate" and then I was fine). Good luck!

Can't do Star Tours and thought I might die on Simpsons:crazy2: I have NEVER gotten motion sickness that fast in my life. I chose not to ride Minions, Transformers, or Spiderman (was having fun in the Wizarding World with our younger daughter), but I had very little issue with FJ (one part I closed my eyes for a few seconds just to "recalibrate" and then I was fine). Good luck!

I actually don't think Spiderman is too bad. The car moves well with the action. The falling sequence is probably the one that might push it.

I feel Transformers is way worse. The car takes off and stops quickly and the movement has nothing to do with what is happening on the screen.

If you had trouble with Star Tours, then you probably will have trouble with Spider-man and Minions and will definitely have issues with FJ, Transformers and Simpson's.

Thank you for all your advice! I will definitely skip Simpsons and probably Transformers. Maybe ride the Minions on the stationary seat?
I'm really disappointed that I might not be able to ride FJ. I might have to put myself through that one just to try it. I always have ginger candy on hand maybe I'll take it before and after?
Thanks again!

Except for the Simpsons, which pretty unanimously bugs people, I wouldn’t skip the other rides. Plenty of those don’t bother people and it’s be a shame to skip them based on speculation. Especially FJ!!

Agreed. Especially if it's the screens with motion that gets you and not just the motion. You can close your eyes for the screen portions and that will help you a lot. Also if you ride Spider-Man and do fine on it you should be ok on Transformers they are very similar experiences.

If you are able, you might try Dramimine. I know it causes drowsiness, but I take it the night before we go and sleep it off. The medication lasts 24 hours so I'm good for pretty much any ride the next day.

Simpsons nearly did me in on our last trip. I was literally green when I got off. The rest of them were pretty much ok. The Forbidden Journey got my husband though. He was feeling quite ill for over an hour after that. I am considering taking meclizine at night for our summer trip. It is non-drowsy for motion (I take it on cruises). It does however make me drowsy, so I take it at bedtime and it stays in your system for 24 hours.

Have you tried anything for the motion sickness? I cannot do Star Tours no matter what meds I try but I can do all the rides at Universal/IOA with some less drowsy dramamine/bonine.

I just wouldn't lump the simulators together one after the other.

Yep, everyone will react differently to different simulator rides.

Simpson’s is a massive no for me.

TF is not great........but I find no issues with Minions or Spider-Man.

However, don’t miss FJ......it is a phenomenal ride........I can do it once or twice and be fine, but any more than that I do begin to feel a little off.........so it’s one I usually just do once a day and not the usual reride option.

So, you may be fine with some of them and take damos advice with non drowsy Dramamine and give that a try.

Good luck, hope you have a blast........

We just finished 3 days at Universal. I have issues with simulator rides like Star Tours at Disney, so I took non drowsy Dramamine. I was able to ride FJ once, but did not feel well after, so did not do it again. Did Spider-Man, Race through New York and Fast and Furious, but ended up having to close my eyes through most of them, so did not do those again either. Did not attempt Simpsons as it made my 12 yo (who never gets motion sick)feel pretty bad for awhile after.
I loved Kong, Escape from Gringotts, the Hippogriff, the Mummy and even the Hulk was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter