Which rides have big drops? *scaredy cat here*

mmtdevlin

Mouseketeer
Hi, hope someone can help me out. I absolutely hate coasters. (actually I wouldn't mind them if they didn't have the drops - as I don't mind the going fast bit or the height thingy) but it's the drops that scare the pants of me.

Can someone help me out with a list of rides (to avoid) in each park if you hate big drops.

Many thanks
Martina :)

I too hate the drops! Well the biggest drop I think is Splash Mountain. I have yet to brave it!
Big Thunder has some small ones and Space Mountain is fast and dark and a bit jerky but I did fine with those drops too. Rockin Roller Coster is fast and dark and turns upside down but I don't recall any big drops. It is that fast!
I don't think Disney does the big dropping coasters that much. Nothing like Universal! I think for the most part you will be ifne.

Obviously TOT is out! SpMTn has a drop that is decent size. You can see it from outside though. So you can judge for yourself. Of course there are other rides that have small drops. THey are large enough you notice them, small enough though some of the rides you can take infants on. The worst part about these ones is that some of them are in the dark and you don't know it's just a small drop.

Originally posted by mansionfan
Don't ride TOT if you hate big drops. :scared1: [/B

OOOO I forgot that one! I was thinking coaster. I thought I was dying on TOT!!:earseek:

Don't count yourself out on the TOT!
I am not a fan of "big drops " really but the TOT is my all time FAVORITE ride. I wish my family members all liked it as much as me because I could just stay on it over and over again if I could!

I hate drops too.

Rides that have smaller drops are Pirates of the Caribbean and Maelstrom in Norway. I only mention those because I consider PoC a big drop. Yes, I'm a wimp. lol. I still ride it and I haven't lost my lunch yet! ;) The small drop on Maelstrom isn't bad at all. Needless to say, I've never been on a rollercoaster. I have a very weak stomach. :p

I hate drops too. But I love Splash Mtn. Even though it's a lloonnggg way down, it's not as fast as a coster, so you don't "loose your tummy".;)

the drop reportedly is 14 feet for Pirates of Caribbean (if anyone knows differently, pls. tell me! (pm))

and maelstrom (i have researched many travel books and finally got answer)
is about 4 feet (?) nothing at all...

i'm a scaredy cat and my dh too.

but these rides are just fine!::yes:: ::yes:: pirate: ::MinnieMo

I'm the biggest scaredy cat!!! I almost had a heart attack when on Pirates of the Caribbean! I didn't remember that drop when I was a kid:earseek: I was pregnant with DD and was a wreck! Now I can handle that if I have to, not too bad. Otherwise I avoid it as well as Space mnt, Splash mnt., Big Thunder mnt., ToT, RnR, Test track, Maelstrom.

You'll find there's plenty to do for people like us!!!;)

Glad to hear there are others like me who are okay with fast rides but not with big drops!

I hate big drops. Pirates of the Caribbean is almost too much for me! DH loves Splash Mountain so I used to always ride with him to keep him company, but I would be almost in tears EVERY time I rode because I hated the big drop at the end (and all the earlier smaller drops)! Now I am glad he has our daredevil DS 4 to ride with him so I don't have to.

That being said, I absolutely love Space Moutain and Thunder Mountain Railroad--they are fast and somewhat jerky but no big drops. DH assures me that there are no big drops on Rockin Roller Coaster so I'm going to do that one on our next trip. He will never get me on Tower of Terror, though!

If you're thinking about big drops as in a classic roller coaster - there are none. Even ToT "shields" you from the sight. You definately know your falling, the the ride "up" is fast and nothing like the slow clackety-clack of a large roller coaster hill.

I agree with stacilee.......I am also not a fan of "big drops" and avoid them at all costs!!!!
However, once I finally got enough nerve to try Tower of Terror.................I cannot get enough of this fabulous ride.
Absolutely my favorite and I would also ride over and over. Last June my DS and I rode TOT 13 times during the week we were at WDW.

Last June my DS and I rode TOT 13 times during the week we were at WDW. [/B][/QUOTE]

13 a lucky number!:crazy:

Originally posted by QuickGold
Good news is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has no big drops.

Wow~ really no big drops? Good news for me...maybe I will work up the courage to ride it. :earsgirl:

That's what I like about the TOT, the SMOOTHNESS of it! No banging or jerkiness. You go down, you go UPPPPPP. you go down , you go UPPPPP. Even the "screamers" on this ride all wind up laughing and clapping by the end. It is a wonderful feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderful pre-show themeing too, that's Disney!

It makes me forget I'm a grownup.

Here is my .02.... in my opinion, there is only 1 decent drop in space mountain, the rest is turns, etc. Rock N Rollercoaster is height limited bc it is inside. Goofy's Barnstormer is actually enjoyable, even for me (a coaster freak) because it is a relaxing coaster (and, to make it relate, the drops are... not there).

As a side note, here is an odd fact that, as an aerobatic pilot, I actually tested out before I morphed into an iron gut: Ginger snaps! For whatever reason this old remedy for motion sickness works. I am not a big fan of the cookies, but they sure do get the job done. Also, GNC sells Ginger root in pill form that also works. (this is in case you don't want to use the dramamine, etc).

FWIW...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter