Which Route form Midwest?

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
Hey all you fellow FW Fanatics!! My DF and I will be making our second trip to FW next June. This time though we will be towing a Coleman Utah with our Merc Villager. For any of you living in the Mid West, which route will you take. The route given to me by my faithful Streets & Trips takes us through the Smokey Mountains. I hesitate going through the mountains towing our pop top. If anyone can give me a better route down to FW from the Midwest I would appreciate it. I live in Davenport, Iowa, right along the Mississippi River, just to let you know my starting point. Thanks a bunch in advance for any help you give me.

:wave:

Do you belong to an automobile club like AAA? If you do they should be able to map out a trip-tik with a route that will work for you. If you ask AAA they also have campground books that are useful they can give you when you do the trip-tik.

We drive down from Minnesota every year. We go through Wisconsin, then cut south at Rockford Illinois. From there we go through: Paducah KY, Nashville TN, Chatanooga TN, Atlanta GA and on down to Orlando.

We go through the Smokeys too, but just a little part, around Chatanooga. We pulled our popup last year and it wasn't bad at all!

I saw that AAA also has trip tics available on the web site for members. Haven't tried it yet but if you are a member it might be worth checking out.

Just did a quick check on my Rand-McNally Tripmaker program, and it shows you coming through St. Louis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta and then to FW. Your only real mountain will be Monteagle just before Chattanooga. We do it in the Class C Minnie, and did it towing a travel trailer. It's not my favorite stretch of road, but my sister (the driver) doesn't have any problems with it. Feel free to e-me if you have any specific Nashville/Tennessee traffic questions.

Man, oh man that's a long trip! It takes us about 14 hours, and the tripmaker showed it being 20 hours for you. But, hey, you're in heaven when you get there, right?!?

Barbara
216 days to go and I survived a Halloween party with 21 first graders today!

We have pulled a popup camper from Indiana: I-65 to Nashville, !-24 to Chatt. TN, i-75 one down to FL. The only real mountain is between Nashville & Chat. It is a long pull in the mountain stretch but only about 45 minutes of driving if I remember right. It has never given us any trouble. Have a good trip!
TomM

I live just down the road in Aledo, IL. We take 74 to 57 to 24 to 75 (Paducah, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, etc.) Only 1 mountain @ Monteagle, TN. Worst traffic is Nashville and Atlanta. Go straight thru Atlanta, not around. Have done it this was 7-8 times.

Hi there Davenport!

Hey, that's my home town. Grew up there. Still have relatives there and get back on occassion. Haven't driven to Disney from Davenport in quite a few years, but the Interstate systems are still there and it's not a bad drive, but it is a long drive. We drive it all the time now from Indiana, so a lot of the route I'm showing is still the same as from Davenport, and very familiar to us.

Using my mapping software it shows you're 1237 miles from the I-74 bridge at Moline to Disney's FW. The recommended route is as follows:

I-74 to Peoria, (be sure to take the I-475 by-pass. Don't go through town. You'll get slower speed limits, more curves, and more traffic as you get close to the river if you go that way. The By-pass is only one mile longer than the route through town, but it's well worth it)

Just pass Peoria, catch I-155 south and follow it to the junction with I-55

Take I-55 to junction with I-64 southeast of St. Louis. You can either take I-55 to I-255 to I-64, or save a little bit of time and take State Route 4 off of I-55, exit 33, due south 15 miles to it's junction with I-64. I haven't driven that in a long time so don't recall the actual road there, so you may want to stay on interstate rather than get on a state route.

Follow I-64 to I-57

Follow I-57 to I-24

Take I-24 all the way to it's junction with I-75, southeast of Chattanooga.

Take I-75 into Florida. If you hit Atlanta anywhere near rush-hour, take the by-pass. Otherwise it's OK to go through town which is shorter and won't be a big problem. But by all means, don't do it if it's rush hour. When we go down, we always plan our trip timing to avoid Atlanta during rush hour.

Be sure to take the I-475 loop around Macon. You don't need to go into town. This is the way most traffic will go anyway. There's still construction going on there now, but it may be done by the time of your trip.

In Florida, south of Ocala, you'll finally hit the Florida turnpike toward Disney. Follow it East. The tolls aren't bad.

From the turnpike's junction with I-4, go west toward Tampa (don't go toward Orlando). You'll actually be going south at this point Watch that exit from the turnpike to I-4, it's a sharp turn. (Note, instead of going that route, you can also exit earlier and take route 27 south to junction with 192, then go East to the Disney Magic Kingdom entrance, and there to FW. Hwy 27 is pretty good, but traffic is getting heavier. Be careful as there are a couple of stop lights that you can come up on pretty quick. The construction on 192 is now all finished, and it's all 4-lanes now. Traffic is not near as bad as it use to be. It won't save you any time getting to FW, but is shorter mileage, and keeps you off of that I-4 traffic which can get pretty busy, especially at rush hour.)

If you do go to I-4, then follow it about 5 miles to Disney's Epcot exit. (It's hwy 536)

Head into Disney and follow the signs toward the Magic Kingdom and toward Ft. Wilderness.

You won't hit any really bad mountains going this route. There'll be some stuff, especially around Chattanooga but nothing really bad. I don't think these are as steep as some of the stuff we routinely hit on I-75 when we take that via the Knoxville route.

We just got back from an extended RV trip (10 weeks) which included 11-nights at FW and another 30 nights off-site in a nice RV resort. (Encore, Hwy 192 West out toward Hwy 27). We got a special promotional rate: $99.00 for a month. Boy, would love to be able to get that rate on a regular basis. (Regular rate is about $500/month)

The route Breick suggests, I-74 to I-57 and then down is OK too, but it is 20 miles longer. But they are good roads.

Your Streets & Trips software takes you through the Smokies? I presume that means I-74 all the way to I-75 in Cincinnati, and then on toward Knoxville and down that way. That doesn't make sense, that's almost 100 miles (1332 miles total) further going that way. If you did go that way though, you'd go right past our house. Wave as you go by.

Have a great time.

Going through the mountains is not bad at all.
We have been pulling our pop-up that way for yrs and we have not had any problems at all.
There is so much to see when you go through the mountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter