Which should be my first race?

Leleluvsdis

DIS Veteran
I am starting back into running after a 10 year hiatus and am wanting to make a Run Disney race my first goal. I am shooting for a 10k mainly because there are tons of 5ks around my local area and a 5k at Disney is SUPER expensive. I am trying to decide between Disney Marathon weekend or Princess weekend for my first race. Could anyone give honest feedback about each event? Whether you have participated in one or both of the events, feel free to give your opinion/feedback on what you would do and why. I have never done a Run Disney event or a large scale race in general.

We will be making it a week – 10 day trip incorporating the event and will be traveling with: me – 30, DH – 34, DD – 2, my Mom – 71, my Dad – 75. We will either stay DVC or at Ft. Wilderness and only visit every other year.

I haven't participated in both - I did do the January 10K and I have done the Princess Half Marathon, though.

- Prices should be pretty similar for both events ($120ish or something like that + Active.com fees), and both of them will sell out SUPER quickly whenever registration opens.
- The courses are exactly the same, and I think the size of the races would be the same with 6 starting corrals.
- Both races will also have some participants that are part of a challenge (Dopey or Glass Slipper).

Differences...
- Princess 10K is on a Saturday (meaning you'd need to pick up your bib at the expo on Friday at the latest), where the WDW 10K is on a Friday (meaning you'd need to pick up your bib at the expo on Thursday at the latest).
- Theme is different: Princess of the year vs. Minnie Mouse in January...so this means different medals and race shirts
- Princess 10K shirt will be short-sleeved, where January 10K shirt is long-sleeved
- Crowd is different: Princess attracts more first-times, while the January 10K is a bit more "serious" crowd

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting...

I haven't done Princess weekend, but I have done Marathon Weekend 3 times and just recently did the Wine and Dine weekend and just in general we vastly preferred the atmosphere of marathon weekend. Marathon weekend is a bigger event and covers more days and so it just felt more immersive to me as a runner. I don't know if that makes any sense whatsoever, but my DH and I both agreed that marathon weekend was just more enjoyable.

I haven't done the princess weekend but I have done marathon weekend and have done the 5k, 10k and half. Marathon weekend is almost like their super bowl event because they have four races and you have the granddaddy of challenges the dopey. I loved all the events I have done and would do it again in a heart beat.

Thanks everyone! I'm starting to lean towards the Princess 10k. I think it would be super fun plus it wouldn't be right after Christmas. Thoughts on where to stay? I thinking BLT or Beach Club for the weekend then transferring to SSR or OKW for the rest of the week.

Thanks everyone! I'm starting to lean towards the Princess 10k. I think it would be super fun plus it wouldn't be right after Christmas. Thoughts on where to stay? I thinking BLT or Beach Club for the weekend then transferring to SSR or OKW for the rest of the week.
Any on-property resort will have transportation to/from the expo and the race start/finish line for either of the weekends you are looking at...just depends on where you think you'd like to stay.

Monorail wasn't available for the Princess 10K this year, and you cannot walk to/from the starting line if you stay at the Epcot resorts (you could walk through Epcot after the half but since you are looking at the 10K, the park wouldn't be open yet)...just an FYI.

Any on-property resort will have transportation to/from the expo and the race start/finish line for either of the weekends you are looking at...just depends on where you think you'd like to stay.

Monorail wasn't available for the Princess 10K this year, and you cannot walk to/from the starting line if you stay at the Epcot resorts (you could walk through Epcot after the half but since you are looking at the 10K, the park wouldn't be open yet)...just an FYI.
That's really good to know. We are also thinking about Ft. Wilderness and pulling our camper down. What would be the best for spectators?

That's really good to know. We are also thinking about Ft. Wilderness and pulling our camper down. What would be the best for spectators?
I think for the 10K the only spectator spots are at the starting and finish lines...so wherever you stay they'd need to take the race transportation to get there.

I think for the 10K the only spectator spots are at the starting and finish lines...so wherever you stay they'd need to take the race transportation to get there.

For Spectators, it depends where you want them. If you want them at the finish, race transportation is required. But, if like me, you are good with having your spectators get up, watch you run by, and then either go back to bed or get the kids (I saw you have a 2 y.o) ready for the day, then the Beach Club is a great choice as is BW. People stand on the Boardwalk watching and by the pool and beach area on the BC side. So your spectators can watch you run by, and then return to the room. I didn't want my kids grumpy all day from getting up and getting the buses to get to the finish. So, for the Princess 10k in 2015 thats what my family did. We actually were at BW for the 10k and then moved that day to BCV. The family watched my sister and I run by from our balcony, and then had breakfast and got ready.

I've stayed on BLT for the Glass Slipper twice as well. The first time had monorail for all the races and that was great. This year it was only available for the half, and it was ok, but I think I'd choose Epcot resorts in the future. The Princess 10k is a great race, you will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter