Which Sports Did Your High School Offer? Which Ones Do Your Kids' High Schools Offer?

rastahomie

Registered
In another thread we're discussing the topic of high school sports, and the subject of regional differences has come up.

My high school, Springfield Southeast High School, Springfield, Illinois, was/is a decently-funded (but certainly not wealthy), urban high school of about 1,500 students. The kids were a mix of poor kids from the ghetto, and rich kids from The Lake. We had football, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, swimming & diving (considered one sport), track, and cross country.

I don't have kids, but the local high school in this town (Viburnum, Missouri) is a poor, rural school with only ~250 students, if that. They only have track, basketball and baseball for the boys; and track, basketball and volleyball for the girls.

What about you and your kids?

My kids' highschool (aprox 1000 students, public, urban, highly regarded academically) had soccer, hockey, basketball, cross country running, swimming, volleyball, rugby, rowing, track & field, snowboard racing, badminton, and nordic skiing.

As for me, I don't really remember much about my own high school's sports offerings (I wasn't athletic at all), but a look at their website shows that they currently offer:

• Alpine Ski
  • Badminton
  • Basketball
  • Field Hockey
  • Golf
  • Nordic Ski
  • Rowing
  • Rugby
  • Running
  • Snowboarding
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
So, a very similar list, with just the addition of golf and field hockey. My school was private, with 400 K -12 students (that number hasn't changed in 25 years - it's a hard cap). I attended on scholarship.

My high school was a small town New Jersey high school with about 300 students in grades 9-12. For boys there was football, soccer, cross country basketball, wrestling, indoor track, baseball, tennis, golf, and outdoor track. For girls there was field hockey, cross country, basketball, indoor track, softball, tennis, and outdoor track.

My daughters went to a small private country day school of about 200 students in grades 9- 12, but here in Delaware 7th and 8th graders can play varsity sports. For boys there was football, soccer, cross country, golf, basketball, wrestling, indoor track, baseball, tennis, outdoor track, swimming, and lacrosse. For girls there was volleyball, field hockey, lacrosse, golf, basketball, indoor track, softball, tennis, swimming, and outdoor track

I don't have kids but my pretty poor rural high school had the following

Football
Baseball
Soccer (boys and girls)
Wrestling
Softball
Volleyball
Basketball (boys and girls)
Swimming
Golf
Tennis
Competitive weight lifting
track and field
Cross Country

We had 1200 (tops) kids in 9-12. I don't think any programs have been cancelled since I graduated 11 years ago.

In our area but not at my school there were other sports but those were the "rich" public school (Hockey in South east Texas hahaha).

Outside of sports we also had a slew of FFA events that could have been considered sports. I mean we had barrel racers and rodeo competitors who represented our school off and on based on if someone at the school that year happened to do it and were members of FFA.

Last edited:

My kids' highschool (aprox 1000 students, public, urban, highly regarded academically) had soccer, hockey, basketball, cross country running, swimming, volleyball, rugby, rowing, track & field, snowboard racing, badminton, and nordic skiing.

I'll respect you if you don't want to give too much away, but can you at least answer if you went to school in a northern clime with mountains?

When I was in high school, we didn't have a football team. That was partially because we were originally an all-girls school. We turned co-ed around 15 or 20 years before I started, but it took until a couple years after I graduated (1990) before they started football.

We had most of the other regular sports (soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, swimming, cross country and track, wrestling), plus a crew (rowing) team.

My son's high school has pretty much all the same, minus crew and add in lacrosse, which I'm not even sure was really around (outside of New England) back in the 80's.

Competitive weight lifting

My dad set some sort of weight-lifting record at his school back in 1960-whatever, and his name was put up on the gym's Hall of Achievements or whatever it's called. I was in that gym for one reason or another in 1980-whatever and it was still up there!

Undoubtedly it's gone by now, because steroids - er, better healthcare, nutrition, and training for high school athletes.

My dad set some sort of weight-lifting record at his school back in 1960-whatever, and his name was put up on the gym's Hall of Achievements or whatever it's called. I was in that gym for one reason or another in 1980-whatever and it was still up there!

Undoubtedly it's gone by now, because steroids - er, better healthcare, nutrition, and training for high school athletes.

If by "nutrition" you mean creatine and these dudes that binge and purge on weigh in days then I'm sure you are right haha. I was shocked the day a friend (I was his bleacher girl meaning I bought him stuff on game day) admitted he took laxatives on weight in day to go down a class then would binge gels after weigh in before he went to lift. It was crazy.

I'll respect you if you don't want to give too much away, but can you at least answer if you went to school in a northern clime with mountains?

Oh, does that mean I'll lose your respect if I do give too much away? :rotfl:

Yes, northern clime. Canada. And ski hills were less than an hour's drive away by school bus.

If by "nutrition" you mean creatine and these dudes that binge and purge on weigh in days then I'm sure you are right haha. I was shocked the day a friend (I was his bleacher girl meaning I bought him stuff on game day) admitted he took laxatives on weight in day to go down a class then would binge gels after weigh in before he went to lift. It was crazy.

My stepbrother wrestled and played football. His coaches in both sports made it clear that any hint of steroid use would get you thrown off the team, even if you were All-State. And his wrestling coach didn't tolerate any weight shenanigans; they were expected to maintain their weight throughout the season and wrestle at the same weight class.

I wish more coaches, at all levels, were as concerned about safety and integrity.

I went to a average sized secondary school, we had a sports centre on site so offered football, tennis, swimming etc. Weirdly I attended a trampolining birthday party at the centre which would later become my school.

My stepbrother wrestled and played football. His coaches in both sports made it clear that any hint of steroid use would get you thrown off the team, even if you were All-State. And his wrestling coach didn't tolerate any weight shenanigans; they were expected to maintain their weight throughout the season and wrestle at the same weight class.

I wish more coaches, at all levels, were as concerned about safety and integrity.

Ours just cared about the title (small Texas town for you) some of these boys had brilliant minds and you would see them crumble over 4 years of those shenanigans. Almost all of them are unemployed college drop outs now. Plus the years of up and down and creatine use meant most of them are now also very unhealthy at 28/29. I feel bad for the guys because their entire lives they are told that is what they are suppose to do and their way "out" of our rural area but the pressure made most of them crumble.

Large suburban high school. As far as I can remember:

Football (Boys)
Basketball (B&G)
Soccer (B&G)
Field Hockey (Girls)
Gymnastics (B&G)
Ice Hockey (Boys)
Swimming (B&G)
Track & Field (B&G) Indoor and Outdoor seasons
Cross Country (B&G)
Volleyball (Girls)
Wrestling (Boys)
Baseball (Boys)
Softball (Girls)
Tennis (B&G)
Lacrosse (B&G)

Also Golf and Bowling, which I think were co-ed teams.

I played softball 9 thru 12 and field hockey 10 and 11.

I graduated in 1983, so my memory may not be that great.

What I remember from my school. Suburban school grades 11-12, 2500-3000 students.

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Track
Cross Country
Lacrosse
Swimming
Tennis
Gymnastics
Fencing
Wrestling
Golf
Softball
Volleyball
Handball

My kids' school. Suburban school grades 9-12, 1600 students.

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Track
Cross Country
Lacrosse
Swimming (technically they swim with another HS because we don't have a pool)
Tennis
Wrestling
Golf
Softball
Volleyball
Field Hockey
Bowling

Last edited:
Large, well regarded (became the first magnet high school in the area very shortly after I graduated), suburban public school:

Football
Basketball
Swimming/Diving (although our country club league had the better swimmers and it was an issue in the community)
Cross Country/track and field with all the field stuff included
Baseball/Softball
Wrestling
Lacrosse
Soccer
Volleyball
Golf
Tennis
Fencing

Mock trial, quiz bowl, debate...you know the ones I was involved in. What? They're not athletics?

Mine
Public high school, 2,000 students
Baseball
Track & Field
Wrestling
Tennis
Swimming
Basketball
Soccer
Football
Volleyball
Judo
Water polo
Cross Country
Gymnatics
Badminton
Softball
Golf

My kids.
Catholic High School, 1,000 students.

Football
Volleyball
Soccer
Cross Country
Water Polo (even though the school has no pool)
Tennis
Golf
Basketball
Wrestling
Diving
Swimming
Baseball
LaCrosse
Softball
Rubgy
Volleyball
Cheer
Track & Field

Last edited:
My list is a LIE - lol.

Forgot water polo and cheer/competitive dance. I was not that cool to even remember we had them.

Suburban public secondary school (grades 9-12) (all sports have both a girls and boys team or was co-ed)
Badminton
Basketball
soccer
rugby
volleyball
Cross country
Track
golf
swimming
synchronized swimming
rock climbing (we have a indoor climbing wall)
tennis
wrestling

My HS (private, mid-atlantic, about 800 students total) had track, cross county, basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, tennis, golf (they offer more now)

My kids' HS (public, southeast, 1100 students) has all of the above, plus football, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, diving, volleyball, wrestling

Semi rural public HS Washington, MO, ~1,200 students:

Football
Soccer (boys & girls, was a new sport)
Wrestling
Basketball (boys & girls)
Track (boys & girls)
Volleyball
Softball
Baseball

My dad coached a 1-person cross country "team" to 2 consecutive state championships LOL

Golf & CC both were added to the mix after I graduated.

DD's go to nearby Union, HS - public ~1,000 students. All of the above, plus bowling & about to get swimming.

All of the schools in our area have dynamite volleyball teams primarily due to a lack of many conflicts that time of year. In most of the state, there are numerous sports competing for the best girls during VB season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!