Which Sports Did Your High School Offer? Which Ones Do Your Kids' High Schools Offer?

My school:

Track
Rugby (boys but I just heard they are starting a girls' team!)
Volleyball
Field Hockey (girls)
Basketball

My kids:

Basketball
Lacrosse
Football
Baseball
Track
Volleyball
Golf

I'm trying to remember:

Football
Baseball/softball
Basketball
Wrestling
Track/Cross Country
Cheer
Tennis
Golf (our golf teams were legendary)
Volleyball (?)
Equestrian (had to fight to get recognized)
Rowing! (how could I forget our crazy/dedicated rowing team?!)

That's it, I think. We didn't have a pool, so no swimmers. Small school (about 600).

Rugby, rowing, badminton... lol. In my old high school you wouldn't find six kids (is that the minimum for a rowing team?) who had ever rowed a boat in their lives. You wouldn't find 11 who even knew what rugby was. And you wouldn't find one who had ever swung a badminton racket outside of a Memorial Day party, for the giggles.

Rugby, rowing, badminton... lol. In my old high school you wouldn't find six kids (is that the minimum for a rowing team?) who had ever rowed a boat in their lives.

I suppose technically you could have a rowing 'team' with two kids - but the largest boats (sculls, I believe is the technical term?) was 8 people, plus the coxswain (the person in front yelling 'stroke!' :D )

I was never on our school's crew team, but had a lot of friends on it. From what I recall, they worked out really hard, but when they went away for their regattas (e.g. races), they partied hard too.

I went to a small private HS
Football
Cheerleading (football & basketball)
Basketball (boys & girls)
Baseball
Softball (I think, but really can't remember)

My kids go to a large public school- copy and pasted from our school's website
Cheerleading
Crew (rowing, district)
Cross Country
Field Hockey
Football
Soccer, Boys
Soccer,Girls
Swimming, Girls
Tennis, Girls
Volleyball, Girls
Basketball, Boys
Basketball, Girls
Bowling, Boys
Bowling, Girls
Cheerleading
Gymnastics, Girls - District
Indoor Track, Boys
Indoor Track Girls
Swimming, Boys - District
Wrestling
Baseball
Golf, Boys
Golf, Girls - District
Lacrosse, Boys - District
Lacrosse, Girls - District
Soccer, Girls
Softball
Spring Track, Boys
Spring Track, Girls
Tennis, Boys
The ones that say "district" are a combined team of the 2 HS we have.
They had a hockey team up until last year.

Last edited:
I went to a small all girl parochial high school on the upper east side of Manhattan - we had volleyball and basketball.

You guys have good memories to remember all your high school sports or more likely I'm older

My high school was about 1200 students suburban
I remember:

football
basketball
hockey
track
soccer
volleyball
baseball/softball
cross country
cheerleading

My kids high school about 2000 urban setting
the same plus:

figure skating
swimming
lacross
crew
gymnastics
tennis

Rugby, rowing, badminton... lol. In my old high school you wouldn't find six kids (is that the minimum for a rowing team?) who had ever rowed a boat in their lives. You wouldn't find 11 who even knew what rugby was. And you wouldn't find one who had ever swung a badminton racket outside of a Memorial Day party, for the giggles.

We live in Indiana. Same with us. My high school had the other sports most people are mentioning... minus winter sports.

We live in an middle/upper middle class area. It is so hard to make sports teams at our school. Over 70 kids tried out for my son's elementary basketball team. They kept 12.

We live in Indiana. Same with us. My high school had the other sports most people are mentioning... minus winter sports.

We live in an middle/upper middle class area. It is so hard to make sports teams at our school. Over 70 kids tried out for my son's elementary basketball team. They kept 12.

My niece plays for what's locally called a "traveling team" (the terminology may be different in different parts of the country). Those are nice options for the kids who may not be able to make their schools' teams. In my niece's case, however, she's on the traveling team because she's basically too good for her school's team. She wants to play against stronger competition.

Last edited:
My niece plays for what's locally called a "traveling team" (the terminology may be different in different parts of the country. Those are nice options for the kids who may not be able to make their schools' teams. In my niece's case, however, she's on the traveling team because she's basically too good for her school's team. She wants to play against stronger competition.

Yes, most kids around her are on rec or traveling teams for everything from basketball to cross country. It's just fun to be a part of the school team. The only sport I see some kids going to because the school team is not "good enough" is cheerleading.

We had lots of the traditional sports mentioned, but no swimming, rowing, skiing or rugby. We did have a rifle team.

I was in high school in the late 70's. Not sure when Title IX went into effect, but the biggest difference between then and now is that there were much fewer sports for girls. We had girls basketball, volleyball, softball and field hockey; maybe a few others. Girls could also be cheerleaders or majorettes (baton twirlers) which weren't really considered sports teams. (Cheer was a lot less athletic back then.) There was no girls soccer, lacrosse, track and field, cross country, golf or hockey (and probably some others), as there is now. I am glad that girls and women have so much more opportunity now to participate in sports at all levels, from youth leagues to high school to college, and even some as professionals.

My school was a private all-girls school. We participated in a fantastic program called Girls Sport Victoria where a range of sports were offered each term, anyone could sign up to join a team (you might end up on the B or even C, D or E team) and you competed each week against other girls schools in the area.

The GSV sports offered were:
Term 1
- Tennis
- Indoor cricket
- Softball
- Swimming (1 day carnival)
- Diving (1 day carnival)
- Golf (1 day event)
Term 2:
- Netball
- Field hockey
- Cross country (I think they had 2 days of races)
Term 3:
- Badminton
- Soccer
- Volleyball
- Athletics (1 day carnival)
Term 4:
- Waterpolo
- Basketball
- Cricket

The school also offered:
- Fencing
- Netball (on Saturdays)
- Aerobics
- Surf lifesaving
- Skiing
- Equestrian
- Rowing

There were also swimming, diving and synchronised swimming squads, but I think people outside the school could also be in them.

We also had houses (a bit like Hogwarts) and everyone participated in the house athletics and swimming carnivals (even if it was just in a 'novelty relay' like tunnel ball), cross country and 2 round robins.

Last edited:
My high school class was around 220, and we had football, soccer, golf, bowling, baseball/softball, basketball, cross country, track, tennis, field hockey and wrestling. My children went to a larger district, class sizes of 600-700, so also had things like lacrosse, crew and swimming. The plus with my smaller school and many sports offerings was that I don't recall people being cut from sports!

I went to a very small HS in northern Connecticut (365 students) that didn't have football! Now that I live in Texas, where football is king, I can't imagine such a thing. My HS also didn't have golf, but I think that was a climate thing. Our high school here offers all I can think of, except wrestling. BTW, although my High School didn't offer football, we wererated one of the top schools for soccer in CT at the time.

It might be interesting, that my high school won the state big division (I don't know what's its called) twice while I was in high school and continues to be a big presence in high school football with loads of players going on to college and pros. It was an already well funded public school, the money our school made/makes from football was insane. Football paid for the entire band to travel with them. Those had kids get passes to come to our school. Probably still do. It was not my scene.

Another, I forgot, we had rowing/crew.

I did forget one sport at my son's high school - they have a figure skating team (girls only, I think?). Apparently, they've won like 5 of the last 6 state titles in the sport. I didn't even realize there was a state high school figure skating championships until my son started going to the school.

You guys have good memories to remember all your high school sports or more likely I'm older

I looked it up on the schools' websites. I figure most people are doing the same!

Sports offerings don't change very much over the years.

didn't even realize there was a state high school figure skating championships until my son started going to the school

Our high school skating team is part of United States Figure Skating Association and this past year was only the third year our area had teams. Ours are all open to anyone in New England. There is a championship in Ohio that we have never tried to go to. We don't have a state championship but there is a trophy at the end of the season. You only need two skaters to officially have a team for a school so teams vary in size. It seems to grow bigger each year as younger skaters move up to high school since it is relatively new (around me).

There are boys in figure skating but it is mostly girls at our events. Our competitions usually just have team, individual, and a theater type event. What makes skating tricky is they have to compete under USFSA rules not high school rules so some high schools easily recognize figure skating teams like my high school and some don't recognize it at all. Our team has a year book page, winning results are announced over the loudspeaker etc. We are lucky in that a high school math teacher is a professional skater and coaches the team. The school, however, does not provide any money, transportation etc.

The high school my children attended- suburban 4-year public school about 1200 students.

Sports offered:

Boys only - football, wrestling, baseball. Girls only - volleyball, softball. Boys and girls – golf, tennis, cross country, basketball, swimming and diving, soccer, and track & field.

School I attended – rural 4-year public school about 400 students

Sports offered:

Boys – football, basketball, and baseball.

Sadly, title IX wasn’t in effect until 1972.

Had to look at the offerings now. Enrollment is up to 450.

Boys only – football, wrestling

Boys & girls – soccer, cross country, golf, basketball, track, baseball/softball, swimming, Ice hockey, tennis

Girls only – volleyball

Times have definitely changed for the good.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter