Which terminal at port of New York

evedein

Mouseketeer
First time DCL cruiser. For those who have left from the Port of New York, how do you know which terminal your ship is docked at? Does DCL notify you in advance or do you figure it out when you get there?

We left out of Pier 88 last year. We took transfers from our hotel to the pier so don’t know about parking at the pier.

Can you walk into the port from a close hotel or is it drive in only?

Going to piggyback off this cruisers question and ask about Port Arrival Times. What is the earliest PAT in New York? The earliest I got when I did the online check in was noon-12:30. I think when we left our of Port Canaveral a couple years ago it was 10:30 or 11. Didn't know if the earlier ones were already taken or if they just start later in New York with the smaller ship (last time we went was on the Fantasy).

Yes, you can. I live in NYC and took a DCL cruise out of the port in 2016. We just walked over from the subway. As for knowing which exact pier it is, I remember just looking for the Magic and going to the nearest door, and when a port worker asked which ship I was on, they directed me to the right entrance.

We have sailed out of NY several times. If you are driving to the Terminal they will tell you the pier number when you arrive. Make sure that you remember where you park because the ship may not return to the same pier and you may have to walk over to the next pier to get your car.

It's walkable. I walked (slowly, it was during the heatwave) from Times square to the port area (the Intrepid next door) and it took maybe 15 minutes. I've stayed at hotels closer to the terminal. There's a Holiday Inn Express a couple blocks away that is quite nice.

To the OP, the port really isn't that big - I mean, big enough for a couple of cruise ships, but less than a NY block, I'd say, between ships.

We just took an uber to the port, told the driver which ship we were on and he just brought us to the correct pier. They take this route all the time and the Disney Ship is quite obvious...LOL!

We just took an uber to the port, told the driver which ship we were on and he just brought us to the correct pier. They take this route all the time and the Disney Ship is quite obvious...LOL!
Did you do an Uber after and if so how much was it? I was thinking about doing that after the cruise to get back to our hotel in north Bergen New Jersey as the earliest the hotel could pick me up is 10.

I don't know what pier we leave from in NYC, but all I know is I'm ready to go on my trip!!! Hurry up September!

Did you do an Uber after and if so how much was it? I was thinking about doing that after the cruise to get back to our hotel in north Bergen New Jersey as the earliest the hotel could pick me up is 10.
Yes we used Uber to get to the airport. However, that was a little different. We walked across the street with out luggage because there was not a really convenient way to have an Uber pick us up directly from the port. Too chaotic with buses etc. We just Rolled our luggage with us across the highway and summoned the uber from the cross street. Worked fine!

I don't remember the price, but you can go on the Uber website and get an estimate.

Yes we used Uber to get to the airport. However, that was a little different. We walked across the street with out luggage because there was not a really convenient way to have an Uber pick us up directly from the port. Too chaotic with buses etc. We just Rolled our luggage with us across the highway and summoned the uber from the cross street. Worked fine!
Were there taxis waiting in a line like most DCL ports?

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal encompasses several "Piers" #88, #90 and #92. FWIW, subtract 40 from the Pier# to get the approximate street#, so the actual boarding of the Disney Magic from its Starboard side (if you know the Deck 3 atrium) will most likely line up with ~49th St. YMMV.

It is not difficult to walk or even bus there, depending on luggage.

On Oct 12th, weather permitting, we will take the train from NJ to NY Penn Station, then take a cross-town bus along 34th St, all the way to the NY Ferry Terminal (another transportation option) at 39th St on the River. We plan to then walk up the "Greenway" pedestrian path to 47th, which should be manageable.

We went last year and took a Lyft from EWR (Newark Airport) and it was around $30-$40 (can't remember off the top of my head.) But the driver got us right to the elevator door. It was quite simple.
When we debarked we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown West. It was a great hotel for the price and location and we were able to walk everywhere quite easily from there. We even walked to see Wicked from our hotel. We walked right off the boat, picked up the luggage and it was a straight shot from the door to our hotel. I'd say 10 minutes or less from door to door. Crossing the street (which I thought might be intimidating based on just how busy that street gets) was a breeze.

If driving / take a taxi, Uber, etc. The entrance to the pier is 12th Ave at 55th St. All the piers at the Manhattan cruise terminal are all in a row so you just go to the one your ship is docked in, very easy to see and figure out. It isn't like other cruise terminals where the entrance to different ships are on different streets / entrances. One entrance and exit here. You can walk it if close by. Parking is VERY VERY limited at the port and if you don't get there early and coordinate with passengers getting off the ship leaving and you arriving you can find "we are full" signs. For other parking options in the area using SpotHero is a good option to see where lots are located.

Last edited:
Pier 88 (which is where Magic is typically parked) is about 15 minutes walk from the nearest subway (42nd and 8th Ave), a few minutes more from Times Square. Other piers (90 and 92) are just steps away. We walked to the ship from Times Sq. subway last year, with kids and luggage - narrow sidewalks are not the easiest to navigate if you are dragging along two large suitcases, but it is doable. Did the same on the way off the ship. Taxi lines near the pier on the morning of disembarkation tend to get quite long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter