Which way should be spend these points?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
I reserved this morning a 2 bedroom OV for 5 nights at the end of June. I also have the reservations previous 2 days to stay at HHV in Waikiki. I really would love to cancel it because we need 2 rooms (5 people) and the cost is $1,800 plus the daily fee and parking. I have 105 Disney points left and I could cancel the Waikiki and get a 1 bedroom for 2 nights at 100 points total OR 2 nights in a 2 bedroom and this way we will not have to change rooms but I will need to purchase from Disney the needed points for about $600.00. Any suggestions on this? I realize this is probably very subjective. We really wanted to spend a few nights in Waikiki but it is super expensive and we could use our left over points. If we go that route, it is just deciding if $600.00 is worth not changing rooms after 2 nights, or stay in a 1 bedroom deal with it. My husband says yes because of the second bathroom and I think, we can deal with it. My only concern is the changing of rooms after 2 nights. I know others will think Waikiki all the way. Any thoughts? We are coming from the east coast and will be up bright and early those first few days. Thanks all

Although there is a big difference between $1800 and $600, the larger question is whether you will still drive from Aulani to Waikiki for two days to do those same activities if you decide to change your Waikiki reservation to Aulani. While it would be inconvenient to change rooms at Aulani, you would have had to do so anyway if you decided to stay in Waikiki.

While I have yet to stay in Waikiki, your quandary is something I struggle with each time I go to Aulani. I usually just rent a car for a couple of days and go down to Waikiki. While I eventually want to stay there, it’s been difficult to get the RCI property I want for when I want. I’ve come to the realization I will probably just have to pay to stay at a hotel in Waikiki for a couple of days to complete my list of things I want to do on that side of O’ahu without having to get up really early to get to Waikiki. Unfortunately, most excursions leave from there. Check out the Aulani excursion page to see if any tours you want to do leave from Ko Olina. You definitely won’t be able to do everything in two days, but you could at least start on your list.

From what I have seen, Hilton Hawaiian Village tends to be more expensive than other resorts in Waikiki. There are many resorts and hotels in Waikiki to choose from - why not pick another one? IMO, with a split stay at Aulani, the resort atmosphere and amenities of HHV are not necessary during a stay in Waikiki. You'll presumably be spending most of your time off-site doing activities in and around Waikiki, and any resort time will presumably be had at Aulani anyhow. Plus, HHV's location isn't conducive for being center of the Waikiki action and it makes for long walks along the strip.

We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott which was a better price point and much better location. We thought it was completely worth it to stay in Waikiki because it's such a different atmosphere than the rest of the island. We liked not having to worry about traffic and parking around there, and even saved on a rental car because we did not pick it up until the Aulani portion of our stay. We also came in from the east coast and stayed in Waikiki first, and found there were lots of people out and about with us at 5am adjusting to the time change, as well as breakfast spots open quite early to accommodate all of us affected by the time change. Aulani would be a dead zone at that hour.

From what I have seen, Hilton Hawaiian Village tends to be more expensive than other resorts in Waikiki. There are many resorts and hotels in Waikiki to choose from - why not pick another one? IMO, with a split stay at Aulani, the resort atmosphere and amenities of HHV are not necessary during a stay in Waikiki. You'll presumably be spending most of your time off-site doing activities in and around Waikiki, and any resort time will presumably be had at Aulani anyhow. Plus, HHV's location isn't conducive for being center of the Waikiki action and it makes for long walks along the strip.

We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott which was a better price point and much better location. We thought it was completely worth it to stay in Waikiki because it's such a different atmosphere than the rest of the island. We liked not having to worry about traffic and parking around there, and even saved on a rental car because we did not pick it up until the Aulani portion of our stay. We also came in from the east coast and stayed in Waikiki first, and found there were lots of people out and about with us at 5am adjusting to the time change, as well as breakfast spots open quite early to accommodate all of us affected by the time change. Aulani would be a dead zone at that hour.
Our problem does seem to be the party of 5. Even the embassy suites gets pricey. I am looking at the Banyan which does seem to have free parking. We can deal with anything for 2 night but I wasn't finding anything at HHV that handles parties of 5 which is why I as looking at 2 rooms. When you add the parking and the $50.00 per night, per room (before tax), it gets a little nutty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!