Which would you rather do and why

pbharris4

DIS Veteran
I am just asking to help me decide (no other motives) and without getting into the "best use of points issue" please. Would you rather stay for 6 nights in a Deluxe Resort (GF or Poly) or stay for 12 days at a DVC Resort (for example: 7 nights in a studio and 5 nights in a 1 bedroom--I'd only have certain amt. of pts to work with). And why would you choose either one?

Thanks!

If I had the spending money and the time I would take the 12 days over the 6 anyday!!!

I'm spoiled - I would stay in a 1 bedroom for as many nights as I had points.

The full kitchen, separate bedroom, washer/dryer, jacuzzi and 2 TVs (ever live with a remote hog who can't make a commitment that lasts longer than 2 minutes, tops? LOL) are just too nice to trade for a single room - even if that single room is on the monorail in a deluxe resort.

Best wishes-

The 12 - - and I would save the 1BR for the end of the stay. The amenities of the 1BR - one of the biggest for me being the separate TV room so my night owl husband can watch TV as much as he likes - outweigh the glories of the deluxe resorts. (As tempting as they are...)

do both stay most of your trip in a studio (I happen to like studios) or 1-bedroom - then the last night (or two depending upon your points) stay in the Polyn. - Make sure the night you pick to stay at the Polyn = the fireworks WILL be going off at the MK.

I'd take the longer stay...whether you made it all in a one bedroom or 7 and 5 as noted.

You haven't given any reason to take the shorter stay other than the opportunity to walk through the public areas of GF or Poly on the way to your room. If along with the room you planned on making heavy use of the resort amenities (not just the pools) there might be an argument for the shorter stay.

For me it would be a no-brainer to stay more nights in a larger unit. I too would do the 1 bedroom at the end of the trip.

I would even take the 12 nights in a studio over 6 nights in a deluxe resort. I like the DVC resorts enough to think of them as the vacation destinations. I take a boat/monorail to the common areas of the GF and Poly, we like tonga toast for one breakfast every so often.

The only resort that really temps me is AKL, we've had one stay there before DVC, and I'd like to do it again.

rwc :goodvibes

PS. I'm speaking as a 2 adult family. With children, I would pick the studio/1-bedroom mix, or even just as many nights as I can in a 1 bedroom.

12 nights with the 1BR last (I too would even 'settle' for all 12 nights in a Studio).

Our last pre-DVC trip was at the Polynesian and although we had a great time and was really nice ( 7 nights Lagoon View Concierge FTP package) I'd have to say that we're spoiled by DVC! When we're at SSR, we can still eat at 'Ohana (our favorite restaurant), relax in the GCH and walk the romantical pathways at night, looking out over the water by the light of tiki torches while island music plays in the background.... ::yes:: And still come home to our DVC room.

To me, it's a no-brainer :banana: stay at a DVC resort! I absolutely HATE having to deal with the maid at 8 AM, having to ask for a coffee pot, and not having a place to put left-overs, besides the lack of space. I just love a one-bedroom villa, all the extra space you get, plus the tub and washer/dryer. Actually, other than AKL, I can't understand why you would want to stay in a regular motel room anymore. I am just too spoiled! :goodvibes The last time at AKL, my favorite non-DVC resort, the rooms were just too confining, so I think I am going to give that up, too :earseek:

(I am the original poster) Personally, I would take the 12 days at a DVC (first 7 in a studio and then the last 5 in a 1bdrm (to do all the laundry :) But we have never stayed in a deluxe resort and want to do it to say we stayed there. My DH said he would pick the 6 days at the GF or Poly. His reasoning was:

(and BTW, we have 2 girls: 9 and 2)

1. Too much time off work (we're going down 6 months before THAT trip in late January)

2. Too much spending (more days=more money) OK..however..our tickets, room will be paid for and we drive down.

3. I guess 1 and 2 pretty much sum it up for him.

We are actually doing 10 days in 2006 (6 in a studio at BCV and 4 in a 1 BDRM at OKW). So I guess I can see his point. But I'd live there if I could! Thanks for your posts!

We would stay in the DVC resort our family isn't big on either of the 2 resorts you had listed.

I love the Polyn - but the food cost there will be high enough to make him change his mind.

yes all the resorts now have a refrigerator - but that is more for left overs.

You don't stay in a deluxe resort and not eat in the deluxe restuarants in that resort.

do a chart - showing him the extra expenses for staying at a WDW deluxe resort.

the www.allearsnet.com - has the menus.

You could always compromise, 6-8 nights in a DVC resort.

Or I would do as he asks and stay at the Poly or GF, but i would make sure that the two of you were NEVER alone ;) "Gee what a shame we don't have our own room"

Hey, pbharris4 - take spiceycat's advice seriously!

It might be just as cheap to feed a family of 4 (including 2 little ones) for 12 nights at a DVC 1/2 BR as it would for 6 nights at the Polynesian. Breakfast alone (2 coffee, 2 juice, some cereal and fruit) will be $15+ cheaper every day compared to Kona, etc. Add in lunch (sandwiches, chips, beverage) vs. the theme parks and the $$$ adds up.

This is a spreadsheet that I'd like to see!

pbharris4 said:
I am just asking to help me decide (no other motives) and without getting into the "best use of points issue" please. Would you rather stay for 6 nights in a Deluxe Resort (GF or Poly) or stay for 12 days at a DVC Resort (for example: 7 nights in a studio and 5 nights in a 1 bedroom--I'd only have certain amt. of pts to work with). And why would you choose either one?

Thanks!

It depends. But we enjoy a variety of WDW resorts. So we would probably do both. Pay cash for the deluxe using an AP rate and then use the points for a DVC stay. Doubt very much we would combine a studio and one bedroom. We would probably just stay fewer days in the one bedroom.

Dave T1...how funny!! :rotfl2: You know..we are never alone anyway. This Saturday we go out for our Bi-Annual date (it's our 11th anniversary).

Dr. Tomorrow & Spiceycat: That's a good idea. Since we'll be doing something similar this coming summer..I am going to keep track of the food expenditures a little more closely this trip. We normally eat 1 TS (sometimes 2) a day, a counter service and most (probably all but 1 or 2) breakfasts in the room. Dh is going to cook 2 dinners as well.

OH...I know..... :banana: I could always tell him he has to do the laundry and lug it all back to the room. That ALONE might change his mind! He sees how much laundry we have in a week. (My 2 yo DD is so messy..think Pigpen from The Peanuts Gang..you know with the cloud of dust following him around :rotfl: . I do clean and frequently, but she always manages to get something on her.) It would be like that Tide commercial..the one where the mother tells the husband to use a toothbrush, soak it, swirl it around for 5 mins., rub it together, let it set in, etc. I am not knocking men and laundry..just my husband!

DH can't cook at the polyn. So all your meals must be out.

of course, that might be why he doesn't want to go to a DVC resort.

He doesn't mind cooking. I used to work FT, but have been a SAHM for the past 2.5 yrs so I do all the cooking, laundry and shopping and he does most of the cleaning. We'll see how it works out this summer and then decide, I guess. It's 2 years out anyway. Our upcoming trips are:

6/29/06-7/5/06 (6 nts@ BCV/4 nts OKW)
Early July 2007 6 nts @ HHI
Last week of Jan. 2008 6 nts @ VWL
late June 2008 either 12 nts DVC or 6 nts GF or Poly

Can you tell I am a planner? If I had more points it probably wouldn't require that much planning, but I thought 225 was good for us, but the more we go the more we like to stay longer and in bigger rooms or more luxurious rooms. SOmetime in the future I'd like to maybe add 100-150 more points. Even if it's 25-50 at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter