Whill Ci - My new Disney ride (available for rental Scootaround) Update - post #34

Requires a prescription? You can't pay OOP for an electric wheelchair? I've never heard that before.
There is no problem paying OOP but if you're going to have insurance pay a portion of it you need a prescription. Believe me, the cost of a fully functional power chair is more than many small cars.

Since this thread became active again, I just wanted to add that the Whill company no longer makes the Whill Model M. That model had FDA approval and insurance could possibly be used to pay for at least a portion of the cost. Model M also had some modifications available (mostly seating options).

https://whill.us/whill-retires-the-model-m-power-wheelchair/
They still make 2 models - A and Ci. Neither of them have been submitted for FDA approval or are considered medical devices (mostly makes a difference for funding).

The Whill website says Model A and Ci are not equipped to be ridden on public transport, so on the bus, the user should move to a seat.8DF2A223-4F83-43F7-9460-7FB0936E856A.jpeg

Hey, I have a few questions about the Whill. You seem to love it but I'd like to know how is it going over curbs in day to day life? This is something of particular importance to me when purchasing a chair. Also, I've read that the chair has some issues going over grooves like the spaces between tiles and the raised bumps on the pavement for blind people. What are your thoughts?

I have no problem going over curbs, holes, rough pavement as long as it’s a 2 1/2 inches or less. I live in New Orleans where our sidewalks are horrible.

the wheels do sometimes want to pull to the side when going over rough cobblestone or those raised bumps - but it kind of depends on how you hit it. It was hard to learn to ignore it as it self corrects. It will be rough though But it would be on my scooter too.

We live within walking distance of many restaurants and a grocery store so I use my Whill on the street quite frequently. I’m still very happy with it. I haven’t taken it to Disney yet.

I too have some issues when I hit raised bumps or rough patches from weird angles but nothing terrible. I'll be taking mine to WDW in March but it was great in Vegas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!