Whirlwind trip to World! Just me, my bag, and 2.5 days!

Nakkira

DIS Veteran
Disney day is here at last! Here I sit in the Philly airport needing to kill a couple of hours before my flight to Orlando.
I have my small Polka dot bag (my only luggage because Frontier charges do carryon) and a bottle of sparkling water.
[GALLERY=]20170117_084234-1.jpg I[/GALLERY]

Who am I? Just a your average Disney addict on a low budget off on a whirlwind mini solo trip.
20170115_133342-1.jpg
Why? To celebrate of. Course!

I have been in the same miserable job for 7 years I have been looking for a new placement for 4 years well I finally found one! I wisely decided to take a week off between my old job and my new job and decided while I'm at it to go on a brief mini vacay. What better place to spend a couple of days in the sun then celebrating at Walt Disney World?

EDIT <04/4/18>: Not to be a bummer here but the reason I have taken more than a year to return to this trip report is the new job did not turn out so great and I kind of lost my sanity for 14 months or so. I finally have the job disaster under control (long story). Anyway I am determined to finish what I have started now, even if it is Way past relevancy -END EDIT

I got to the airport much earlier than I really wanted because my husband was willing to drive me before he went to work so here I sit think dreaming of Disney and drinking my sparkling water!
I had a Wawa breakfast sandwich on the way here but now I wish I had not as there is an Earl of Sandwich here in the airport and since I have no plans to go to the one in Disney Springs I should have enjoyed a sandwich while I was here. Also it would help to kill time I am not a patient person I hate waiting I really hate waiting I get too bored.
Today the plan is to fly to Orlando check in to Disney All-Star Sports Resort and head straight for the Magic Kingdom. tonight I am meeting a friend for the firework show only wish the Magic Kingdom was open later tonight to maximize our time together. Maybe we can find a place to have ice cream after the fireworks show. Or perhaps even an adult beverage or two.
I admit it I'm pretty darn excited I still have to wait another hour and a half before I can board my flight.

Last edited:
This is so exciting to a trip report unfold in real-time, day by day. I can't wait to read the rest of this report :)

Busy day at MK! Made the most of my limited time. Full trip report will tell more but the highlight of my evening was meeting with an old friend for ice cream and Splash Mountain.
20170117_211916-1.jpg received_10155077731465864.jpeg

Excited to hear all about what you managed to get done in 2.5 days!! When we arrived for MK on Saturday it was SOOOO busy !!!

Fellow Pennsylvanian here, happy to follow along! You had me at Wawa! ;)

So I never got very far with live updates but am about to start posting my trip report for real. I had better as I just booked a trip for September,

Day 1

My lovely Husband was kind enough to take me to the airport before he went into work. This got me there WAY before my flight (a few hours) but I killed time by reading on my Kindle app and such.

Foreshadowing for later, I tried to charge my phone and thinking something was wrong with my cord I went to a shop in the airport that sold them, but they were too expensive. I wasn’t entirely certain the issue was not with the outlet, so decided against it, but the kind young man in the store charged my phone up for me a bit on his and chatted with me about 40 minutes helping to kill some time. That was sweet of him.

My flight was a no frill flight that even charged for carry-on so I had micro-packed into a small bag that counted as a “personal item”.

My flight was smooth and uneventful. Soon enough we were landing in Orland. Since I had checked no luggage I got on the fake monorail and bee-lined straight for Magical Express.
20170117_1301561_zpsroo8sgq8.jpg

Dude, I was boarded right away and we were on the road in like 10 minutes.

I was happy to relax and watch the little TV’s. this being only my second resort stay (although a mini-one) I was rather hyped about “the full Disney Experience”.

OMG! I’m here!

20170117_134529_HDR-1-11_zpsb1wourzj.jpg

Very soon were pulling into All Star Sports.

I had checked in on my phone and gotten a message that my room was ready already. So I was able to head straight to my room.

If I could find it. I must have wandered in circles, and let me tell you my bag (stuffed full and rather heavy) and jacket (I might have stuffed it’s pockets too) were becoming burdensome. Of course I couldn’t find a cast member either.

Finally, just as my arms were going numb and tears of frustration were springing to my eyes, I spotted a cast member and got some better directions. Let me tell you. I did a lot of running around in Circle during this stay. My first solo trip, and I never realized how much I relied on others to steer the boat when my crappy sense of direction failed me!

I loved being able to just let myself in with my Magic Band (my first Magic Band!)

After getting to my room I poked around a bit, unpacked, and watched a bit of Stacy. When I say un-packed, really I spread out the contents of my Mary Poppins bag on the spare bed.
20170117_1404501_zps3dltfwre.jpg

Since it was already mid-late afternoon, I loaded up my Disney pin Lanyard and was soon heading to the bus For Magic Kingdom.

I really had major bus blessings this trip. I only once waited for more than 10 minutes.

On My Way to the Magic Kingdom!!!!!
20170117_1506161_zpsb8u3drrb.jpg

Day 1 Part 2

20170117_151102_HDR-11_zpsaepiszcu.jpg

A brief trip though security and…

20170117_153455-11_zpsttbnmqw7.jpg

20170117_153508-11_zpsomxd55kx.jpg

20170117_1535191_zpsqm2d8mwm.jpg

The afternoon Parade! Yay! It’s kind of fun to walk in during the Parade. It kind of feels like they are celebrating your arrival.

20170117_1537051_zps0vkhbij3.jpg

Disney Balloons

I live streamed part of the Parade for my family and started winding my way through the crown to Fantasyland.

20170117_1537151_zps3fpeovc5.jpg

Spoiler alert. I STILL didn’t to do the Mine Cart ride. As this was a last minute trip I couldn’t get a Fast Pass and as it was a Short Trip I wasn’t waiting in a line 2 hours long.

Maybe next trip.

I managed to do a little Pin trading on my way and Managed to find the Kermit with Mouse ears to match my Missy Piggy of the same set!

I spend a little time under the Sea with my Girl Ariel and (after stopping for a picture or two), went to Tomorrowland.

20170117_1550331_zpscdwnppab.jpg

20170117_1550171_zpsm2urwl7j.jpg

20170117_160819-11_zpsanv7o2ih.jpg

I was a bit hungry so I stopped at Cosmic Ray’s and got a kids Chicken Finger meal. I know some people say they have been told they can’t order a kid’s meal but I din’t have any problems with it this time. In fact if I asked if I could order from the Children’s menu at Ray’s I was answered “Are you a kid at heart? Then you can order the kid’s meal”

20170117_1620461_zpseojzlhti.jpg

It was plenty for me too. I really liked having the carrots and juice to counter-balance the deep fried stuff.

I finished my Meal and decided to visit the Laugh floor. I figured I should let my food settle a bit before my next ride, Space Mountain. The Dark ride aspect of this for some reason does scare me a bit and I sit tall, so for some reason am always afraid I will hit my head on something during the ride and die.

I still ride it. ;-)

20170117_1723451_zpsjkgi223v.jpg

My aimless wandering led my to Small World and I got on as it was a short wait and I hadn’t been on it in a very long time. Ah, Classic Disney Cheese. Still cute and still a bit annoying. I love it for the record. I love and the other Oldies.

20170117_1758451_zpsebmbyc69.jpg

20170117_1802021_zpsf5llshye.jpg

The next place I found myself was the Haunted Mansion. I am night blind so for the record “finding myself” was getting more and more random. It didn’t matter, I was enjoying myself. I love the haunted Mansion a lot. FTR. I was a little freaked out about the ghosts knowing where I lived until I remember the Magic Band. LOL.

I had time for one more ride before I had to search for the Location of my Rapunzel and Tiana Meet & Greet. I had not been able to get too many Fast Passes but this was one that had been available so I went for it (I love Rapunzel). However as I had not watched Frog Princess before I made sure to do it just before my trip!

I digress, you really shouldn’t let me ramble on so.

So I went for a short sail in pirate infested waters looking for Jack Sparrow. Slippery devil he is too. Finally found his playing with his jewels and decided to leave him too it. Besides. I didn’t want to be late for my appointment with Rapunzel.

We are such good friends. I told her I was jealous of her hair growing back so fast. Mine had been cut 18 inches recently and I was slightly regretting it. (it WAS waist length). She reassured me that it would and asked me if I was having the Best Day ever! I told her “of course, Now that I see you!”

20170117_1906271_zpstr5ecudd.jpg

20170117_1907121_zpse1hfehzo.jpg

I am a corn ball. There were other people waiting to met her however so we hugged and parted. I miss her.

Tiana and I enjoyed our meeting and I got a great picture to post on my FB which I titled “Caption this” (there was some entertaining responses).
20170117_190758_HDR1_zps7ijchnmb.jpg

I think we were talking about gumbo.

After my time with the Princesses I need a rest and since it was almost time for the next PhilharMagic show I went there.

Oh Donald, you should no better than to mess with that hat by now.

By the time I got out it was almost time for Wishes! Boy were the crowds thick!

DAY 1 Part 3

I was supposed to meet up with a friend and her daughter to watch the Fireworks (they live near Disney) but they were running later than expected and were still trying to get into the Park so they told me to enjoy the show and we would find each other after.

I realized That Winnie the Pooh had no line so I jumped on it real quick. It's one I always skip because usually those I am travelling with are not interested and what have. So cute! glad I did it.
20170117_194522_HDR1_zpsan95dtsv.jpg

After the ride, I made a b-line through the crowds to the front of the Park. I actually managed to find a good view spot (easier to do when solo than when you need room for several.

20170117_1958441_zpsvcz3dn4r.jpg

I am rather proud of this pic.

I didn’t really take many pictures once the show started because I wanted to enjoy with my eyes and not my camera.

I am really glad I did because then I had no idea it would be my last time seeing it.

As usual I cried.

When the show was over I mad my way to the ice cream parlor to text my friends and it turns out, they were heading for the same spot for the same reason. We had ice-cream together and decided that we would hit Splash Mountain as the final ride of the evening.

icecream_zpsb1l06niy.jpg

We did Jazz hands for the ride photo. (see live post)
20170117_2101231_zpsswwbgp9m.jpg

It was nice walking through the mostly empty park as we left. Usually I am part of the big exit wave after the Fireworks.

20170117_211724-11_zps9rq1l0nx.jpg

One the way back out we did a little shopping on Main Street. I didn’t buy anything but I just Had to try on some hats.

20170117_2126021_zpskjataldo.jpg

20170117_212635-11_zps7wxlfrad.jpg

I sort of wish I had purchased the pretty purple ears.

When we left we decided I would take the boat with them and follow them back to parking istead of taking the bus, and they would drop me off at my resort. I am glad I did, the view was pretty in the Dark. Not sure I have ever done that at night.

I hit the bar before going to my room and got myself a nice cold margarita to sip and wind down with.

20170117_2236131_zpswmpegkqi.jpg

After a shower I plugged in my phone and went to bed. Tomorrow was Epcot day.

Day 2 Part 1

Well, this was just great. My phone had not charged at all. I was now really suspecting and issue with my charger. I really need my phone as it was my only camera on this trip. I plugged my phone into the battery back-up I had packed (fully charged thankfully) and, grabbing only a snack, went to catch the bus to Epcot.

I had a Fast Pass for Test Track first thing so I went there right off. I had not been on it since the prior version so it felt new to me! I really enjoyed it! I had fun designing the car!

20170118_092734_HDR1_zpsgzcifrey.jpg

20170118_094122_HDR1_zpsnwd0xrsx.jpg

After that is was time for Mission Space! It was a total walk on for I chose the Green Team, having learned my lesson on the last trip. It intensity is not work the Vertigo. Green was a walk on anyway. I was the Commander this time around! Since it was a walk on I did it a second time and got Pilot.

I tried on cheesy astronaut hat in the dump shop (of course did not buy it)
20170118_1013091_zpsexq17rwx.jpg

Ok, so here is where I made a BIG mistake. I was kind of hot and saw that Universe of Energy was about to go and went in. I had only been on it once years ago and forgot how LONG it was. OMG it goes on forever. The sad part is that having skipped breakfast (a choice I made on purpose as I had a Starbucks gift card and planned to use it in the Park) I was now getting pretty woozy and lightheaded as my blood sugar plummeted. It was pretty bad. I was very shakey by the time the ride ended and I found Found the Starbucks.

Need Food. Of COURSE the line was miles long. At last however I had breakfast in my hand. I inhaled it.

20170118_1113191_zpsrvknhbek.jpg

I know some people were not happy when Starbucks came to Disney but I sometime get gift cards doing surveys so it means the Occasional free breakfast or coffee on vacation for me and I am grateful.

Honestly, after I took the obligatory pick I bet it didn’t even survive two minutes. I went to town baby dinosaur style. Refreshed with food and iced coffee it was time for my Soarin Fastpass. I was really happy I got one. I had yet to be on the new version and the only other time I had ridden it had been a disaster (see prior trip report). All went well this time and I had an enjoyable journey.

Next My meandering took me on Journey into Imagination with Figment. Seriously, I could do without the skunk. Also, is it just me or it this ride more about your senses than your imagination. It feels just slapped together so far as themeing goes.

I LOVED the Pixar Short Film Festival. Made for a nice sitting break and some good entertainment.
20170118_121401_HDR1_zpsjfbbcagf.jpg

I think I need more sugar in my day. Time for club cool, some samples and a slushie.

20170118_1247171_zpsx70o0vdr.jpg

By now the world showcase was open. I decided to get a passport and visit ALL of the countries to get it stamped.
I had a cheese and wine snack in Germany.
20170118_133223-11_zpskqi9sklv.jpg

I totally wish I had written down what type of wine this was, but I remember it being VERY refreshing.

then went to Japan to watch the drummer and get my pearl set. My last trip I had done pick a pearl and I actually brought that pearl back with me this trip to get it put in a necklace. The girls at the pearl station thought this was great!

When I visited England a bit later I ran into my favorite Nanny Ms. Mary Poppins. She didn’t have time for tea but we had a brief chat, a photo, and she was off. (I was like literally the last person they allowed in line to see her)

20170118_1554231_zpsfj5e3hhd.jpg

Actually a very unflattering photo, but I don't care. You all love me anyway.

Since Mary had no time for Tea I took myself to France for a Quiche and Chardonnay , I wanted the cheese platter but they were out.
20170118_150926-11_zpsxdaxgovh.jpg

I manage to finish my passport by Mid-afternoon finishing in Mexico where I rode the Grand Fiesta Tour and I treated myself to the glorious avocado Margarita. This one was way better than the one I had my last trip.

20170118_164815_HDR1_zpsrmykmi2p.jpg

I loved it so much I took time for a glamour shot.

I sipped it while I wandered back out of the World Showcase.
It was getting pretty warm by this point so I removed my longer sleeved tunic (I had a tank top underneath). I am glad I had decided to dress in layers though because I got chilly again later. I learned the hard way several years ago NOT to count on it being Always warm in Orlando.

Last edited:
Day 2 Part 2

This is the point where I wished I had a park hopper. I like Epcot but it’s more fun with my Hubby (or my sister) and I had really done a lot all day. I rode Test Track again (single rider lane) and found out that if you didn’t design a new car it used your car from earlier!

After that I rode Space Ship Earth. I had a chuckle by making an angry face for the photo.

20170118_1823091_zpsnwk8plvi.jpg

I wander some more and found a chance to meet Baymax! No line either. Really, he needed a hug so I gave him one.

20170118_18415211_zpsvewdvd6y.jpg

20170118_1842011_zps5vwdchs7.jpg

I decided to go have a burger for dinner at the Electric Umbrella before heading back to watch Illuminations.
a335f5fc-2078-42b3-bb07-dde36b8d38f0_zpsg7gfakfa.jpg

It was ok, actually it was very dry and it took them 20 minutes to make it even though NOBODY ELSE was there!

However by the time I got back to the World show case there were still a couple of hours left. I was pretty tired, but didn’t want to go back to my room as this was my only full day! I ended up breaking my own rule and getting in the uber long line for Frozen. Normally I don’t wait in lines that ling but I kind had nothing else to do at the time (I should have gone to a show or something)

20170118_192945-11_zpsnc6tf6xw.jpg

It was okay. I did enjoy it. The Q was nice and all. But dude. No ride is worth that wait to me. My feet were screaming in agony but the time it was over.

I got lucky and found a decent spot to sit for Illuminations, next to a trash can but it was a great view. . I really love that show.

20170118_2107361_zpsbxa0lo53.jpg

Once again I decided to do more watching and less picture taking

20170118_2107521_zpsvmfzarjq.jpg

I decided that it was time to go back

20170118_2123421_zpsmjmeinbk.jpg

20170118_2127481_zpsfkfvbqmt.jpg

I totally hobbled out of the park. I let myself get out of shape the prior year, I had not broken in the shoes properly and I had been going strong for the last two days.
I was having a blast though, so Totally worth it.

Now my phone was close to dead and the batter back up was out of juice. So I really needed to get it charged somehow. I limped to the gift shop and bought a new charger. Thankfully it worked. I hated paying the price they wanted (too much) but it really was needed.

Somehow I tripped on my way back to my room and pulled something in my leg.

I took a hot shower, packed and fell into bed but I could not seem to settle down for the night. I only had half a day left and my Magical Express notification was waiting for me.

I eventually fell asleep for a few hours.

Day 3
I woke up so stiff and sore I took another hot shower. I could have given up but I had paid for a 3 day pass and I was going to use it! I gathered my stuff, left it with the bell service, and went to breakfast. I got the kids platter. It really was the perfect breakfast. (if I wanted to leave room for later snacking)

20170119_0704551_zpsdp1w1zyc.jpg

Confession: These were my very first ever Mickey Waffles.

I check out of the hotel and waited for the bus to Hollywood studios. This was my only long wait of the trip.

20170119_0816351_zpsbz2d2agu.jpg

At least I had my coffee while I waited.

I was a little antsy because I was trying to make rope drop so I could ride Rockin Roller Coaster before the lines got too long. This was my first time back at the park without the hat.

20170119_084619_HDR-11_zpslxooqjkp.jpg

Honestly you should have seen my speed walk/hobble/limp once they let us go. I am sure it was somewhere between sad and hilarious. I hadn’t gotten to ride last time though and I really wanted to this time but had no Fastpass. I made it and managed to ride with only a 20 minute Q. By the time I got off it was already an hour long.

Next up Was Tower of Terror. I love free Falls.
20170119_0908171_zpskadayhzy.jpg

I could ride it over and over and sometimes do if the lines are still short. They were.

I made it a priority to get my obligatory Mickey Bar Ice cream before further adventures. Even better she said it was “on Mickey today”. YAY Pixie Dust.

20170119_0931011_zpslwyleag3.jpg

Free ice-cream is even better!

I went to the Lauch Bay, almost bumped into a couple of Storm Troopers on the way
20170119_093347_HDR-11_zpsjflyisvs.jpg

Watched the film (nifty fan tribute) and managed to find..

Chewie! With only two People waiting!

I found out something. Wookies give Great Hugs! Seriously the best hug all trip.

20170119_0953291_zpsoqr9srej.jpg

Also, Jawas don’t like selfies.

20170119_0955411_zps6mi68cnf.jpg

Now I was ready for Muppet Vision and Star Tours.

SO… I love this park usually but I have to say before I get much further that the construction was making it really difficult for me to find my way around and I was still in a lot of pain so wandering around lost wasn’t helping much. At one point I landed very near the stage during the First Order show and Phasma had them fire on me. (Actually not kidding and it startled the ever living crap out of me as my back was to them). Hilarious really. It took me forever and a couple of tries to find Star Tours.
20170119_1009421_zpsqdr11wxg.jpg

However the lines were low and I managed to ride a couple of times before they grew again. I gave up trying to find Muppet Vision (although I did find first aid and some helpful bandaides for my blisters) and headed back to TOT for my fast pass.

20170119_1113211_zpsfudqtbfe.jpg

20170119_1117551_zps6vzyfmmn.jpg

The hat looks good on me. I should totally work at this hotel.

I tried again to finf Muppet Vision and got turned around again. <sigh> On impulse I checked to see if I could get a seat at Prime Time for Lunch since it was within my sight and I could. Great. I really needed non-fried food, A/C and a chance to sit. It was a lot of fun, however I didn’t get much interaction (being single I guess) but I enjoyed watching my server pick on the other tables. I ate the Chicken Cesar because I really wanted something “fresh”.

20170119_1145581_zpsqys1kpgh.jpg

I also had booze with my lunch. My sore leg and feet were appreciative. Loved the theme so hard. Great place really.

20170119_1145121_zps56fjxxzj.jpg

After my lunch I was refreshed and finally got pointed in the correct direction for Muppets Vision. Yay!

20170119_1232211_zpsvhzc3jbs.jpg

I had scored a FastPass for Toy Story Mania so I also finally got to ride/play that. I like it. My score was REALLY LOW but I had fun and that’s what matters.

20170119_1415011_zpsyt5u3xm5.jpg

Another hat picture. Random shopping.

Missed Beauty and the Beast so I hopped on TOT for a final ride.
20170119_1449211_zpsbu4twekd.jpg

Then back to Star Tours again.

20170119_1502361_zpswgd0ti7m.jpg

It was getting close to time to go so I reluctantly made my way out of the park.

20170119_160026-11_zps0cqyp38z.jpg

Ran into the First Order again on my way out.

20170119_1602251_zpsto3b3efn.jpg

I managed not to draw their attention this time. I made it back to the Resort with an hour to spare so I had a snack (yay chicken fingers) and a final vacation margarita.

20170119_1634141_zps8upcdytx.jpg

Before I knew it. (actually it seemed like a very long wait as the bus was late and I was pooped) I was back on ME and heading to the airport.

Wow! What a whirlwind trip. In three more days I was to start my new job. I was glad I had taken this mini-break even if my feet were not!

CONCLUSION.

I am really sorry if this wasn’t the most exciting report ever.

I really did have a fantastic mini solo trip. It’s difficult to write a quality trip report 14 months later when the details and time-line have gotten foggy.

The new job, as I stated in an edit the new job did not turn out so great.

There was a lot of turn over issues, backed up work, really just a huge mess that took the wind out of my sails for a Year.

The upshot is that they pay me better. The DDH and I are not rich nw but we are comfortable for the first time ever.

ASLO, I got a decent retention bonus for surviving a year (I had tried to quit but they bribed me not too)

Things are going well…..

Actually we now come to the reasons I finallt finished this blog.

1. I hate unfinished Business

2. WE ARE GOIN BACK!!!!!!!!!!

My DDH asked me if I would like to doo the Food and Wine Festival again this Fall!

We last went in 2013 (I cannot believe it’s been 5 years) before we were married.

2013 Trip Report

Sept 2018

So come along for the ride, you can find my Pre-trip Planning report
HERE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter