White hydrangea help

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
Even since I got married two years ago, I have been on the search for white hydrangeas & white peonies to plant in my garden since they were in my wedding bouquet. Last year I finally found a white hydrangea bush that was large and bushy, full of blooms and WHITE! We only have one small area of our yard that gets shade so we planted it there, gave it plenty of watering and it just didn't fare too well. It was a hot summer last year and I don't think the root system was developed enough to get water adequately. It also had small blooms that were a faded pink with a blueish tint to them. I will also add that we planted it near our neighbors fence who also has a large hydrangea. The two plants aren't more than four feet from each other.

We are just now starting to see the leaves popping up and I want to make sure this year the plant thrives and has the WHITE blooms that I searched so hard to find. Is there anything I can do to the soil that will help get the white blooms? I hope after a good year in the ground the root system will absorb water better and maybe this summer heat will be less brutal. Since our neighbors hydrangea looks hearty, I don't think the location/sun exposure is a problem.

Once I get this hydrangea healthy, I plan to add a few more and then round out the garden with white peonies and white tulips. The only thing missing from my wedding bouquet will be green hypercum berries but I am not sure I intend on trying to find that plant.

My granny could grow the most beautiful hydrangreas. Here are a few tips that might help; not sure if you tried these last year or not:

Soil Requirements:
Well drained - needs to stay moist but not wet
Grows best in hummus rich soil with a pH between 5.0 - 7.5

Fertilization:
Fertilize in the Spring with an all-purpose fertilizer
(If your blooms are sparse, use a fertilizer with higher phosphorus. The phosphorus promotes bloom development and set)

After initial planting, try to water every 3days for roughly 20 minutes

My granny could grow the most beautiful hydrangreas. Here are a few tips that might help; not sure if you tried these last year or not: Soil Requirements: Well drained - needs to stay moist but not wet Grows best in hummus rich soil with a pH between 5.0 - 7.5 Fertilization: Fertilize in the Spring with an all-purpose fertilizer (If your blooms are sparse, use a fertilizer with higher phosphorus. The phosphorus promotes bloom development and set) After initial planting, try to water every 3days for roughly 20 minutes

Thank you! I've never checked my soil ph level before. Do you have to buy a test kit at the store to do so or is there another method? I haven't fertilized so I will definitely get on doing that.

Thank you! I've never checked my soil ph level before. Do you have to buy a test kit at the store to do so or is there another method? I haven't fertilized so I will definitely get on doing that.

If I'm not mistaken Lowe's has carried a Ph soil test before, especially in the Spring. But me personally, I have sent a sample of my soil to our local Auburn University agriculture substation/extension office for testing. You can learn alot more about the condition of your soil through them. You might want to check with your local ag extension office about testing.

If I'm not mistaken Lowe's has carried a Ph soil test before, especially in the Spring. But me personally, I have sent a sample of my soil to our local Auburn University agriculture substation/extension office for testing. You can learn alot more about the condition of your soil through them. You might want to check with your local ag extension office about testing.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!