Who’s Got FP Duty?

Who manages your FPs while you’re in the parks?

• Me, me, and me - even if I’m at the resort with a fever of 105F.

Votes: 102 91.9%
  • My kids - they thumb type much faster than I do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My partner/spouse - I did all the planning, they need to earn their keep.

• It’s a team effort - everyone in my group has their phone out.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I conned/pay someone to do it for me (new service idea for TP).

• Total voters

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
I am the Disney planner in the family (you knew that) but since inevitably we end up splitting up for some reason (nap at resort, sick kid, DS is DONE with princess M&Gs) I’m putting DH through FP boot camp this year (yes, there will be quiz at the end :beach:). He complains that he doesn’t know how to do it, can’t figure it out, doesn’t want to take the time, etc. Typically I’m the one modifying them or trying to snag the 4th, etc. I think with FOP and the success of refreshing I would just like to not always be the one with my nose in the phone (in addition to the logistics of sometimes splitting up).

But my question is this - do you think it’s better to have multiple people making them or do you step on each other? Accidentally cancel things, etc? Is it better to just have one person responsible or does everyone in your party get in on the act?

On our first trip, I handled all the plans and dh found our way around. That worked well and we'll do it that way this year. I'll handle trying to score extra fastpasses. I think it may be too confusing AND he doesn't know the attractions like I do so he'd be trying to put my afraid of the dark and loud noises 4 year old on Dinosaur or something crazy like that. We're still beginners so we have to keep the plan as simple as possible.

Nobody messes with our fp's except for me.
I don't think they know how to log on to MDE. So I'm safe.

LOL. :D

AND he doesn't know the attractions like I do so he'd be trying to put my afraid of the dark and loud noises 4 year old on Dinosaur or something crazy like that. We're still beginners so we have to keep the plan as simple as possible.

That was me our first trip. Traumatized the DD1 and DD2 on Dinosaur. The pictures are funny. Good times.

Makes sense to have DH do the navigating.

This will be our first trip in the parks using the app to make fp+. It's been 4 years and we had to use kiosks that last time. I'm training all members of the family to use the app. I made initial picks with their input, but once in the parks, I , too, do not want o have my nose in the phone the whole time.

Another question? Having the app open so much, how long does your phone battery last? Do you use fuel rod type batteries or charging stations?

Just me!

I do write out daily FP times and any other planned meals or meetup times for others to keep in their pockets. DS does have the Lines app on his phone so he can look at wait times and decide what they want to do if we split up. I got sick of the phone calls and texts asking for wait times!

When we were planning ours (my parents and I) everyone gave their input on which FP+ they wanted and since I was the only one willing to get up when the window opened (6am so not too bad) I made the FP+ reservations. We all have MDE on our phone and know how to use it, but when we're making our next selections in the parks, since I've consistently got my phone on my person, I'm usually the one who does the technical part once we've decided what we want to do. However, I've also made FP+ for myself like when I want to go see the princesses at Fairytale Hall and that's worked too.

Another question? Having the app open so much, how long does your phone battery last? Do you use fuel rod type batteries or charging stations?

I try to have my phone fully charged when I leave the hotel and try to stay on it as little as possible since my phone is also my camera, but by 8pm, I'm itching for a charger so we try to take breaks where there's a plug and we're also bringing a portable charger this time around.

I try to have my phone fully charged when I leave the hotel and try to stay on it as little as possible since my phone is also my camera, but by 8pm, I'm itching for a charger so we try to take breaks where there's a plug and we're also bringing a portable charger this time around.

Thanks for the info. Most of my family has extra batteries. I am the exception. I debating whether to get a fuel rod (only $20 if you purchase online) or one like the rest of the family uses.

My spouse and I wake up and divide and conquer at 60+ days out for FP. I have a spreadsheet with our itinerary planned out beforehand so we are on the same page. Before FP+ my wife just had it all planned out in her head, I found having it all spelled out avoids lots of confusion and arguments. At the parks everyone looks for a FP+ as soon as the last FP is scanned.

Thanks for the info. Most of my family has extra batteries. I am the exception. I debating whether to get a fuel rod (only $20 if you purchase online) or one like the rest of the family uses.

We love having Fuel Rods! Especially with teens, I don't have to harp on them for keeping a normal battery backup plugged in and charging overnight. Easy peasy to just swap out as needed.

I voted team effort, but that isn't 100% accurate. We have been ten times, and I planned the first one then DH and I planned together after that. Last trip, I made the FP because he had to be at work the same time as our window opened. We decided together what we wanted and I got as close as I could. When we were at WDW, he did most of the changing. I hate the MDE app and he doesn't mind. I don't think either of our kids were looking for any FP.

DW doesn't want to do it, and I do want to do it, so it works out perfectly.
This is us. My DH has no interest in the planning aspect except injecting his opinion every so often. I’m the only one with an MDE acct.

Me - FPs, ADRs, touring plans
Husband - logistics/navigator/packer
Adult Daughter - Obtaining Lodging off-site, trip dates
SiL- driver, cook, in charge of remembering where we parked
gDD9 - along for the ride
gDD11- along for the ride

My family is totally okay with me alone making "The Plan" to include FP choices, ADRs and doing a touring plan. While trying to get in-put, my daughter told me "Mom we trust you". My daughter and SiL are just so busy before our trips they just don't want the stress. I think they find it liberating not to have to worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter