Who else hates the term “Karen”

What's interesting about all of this is Karen is not the only name term used for such entitled people. I have heard Becky and Susan too. In fact, there is an image that floated around Twitter some time ago, and I can see why Karen is used as much as it is. I can not post the image, as there is a NSFW element to it. However, Karen's age range is 35 to 45, which is about the median age. Becky is 19 to 35. Susan is 45 to 60.

I find the term Karen even more funny because I have a half sister named Karen and she is totally that type of person too.

I also think the term Karen can be applied to anyone, but in my experience, I notice more men are passive when it comes to matters like this. Women are more headstrong and are move vocal about any sort of injustice that affects them poorly. I used to work in retail and I saw far more women get angered over little things than men. So I guess the term Karen was coined as just a way to lump them all together.

It annoys me too, mostly because it’s only used on women. I’ve seen men post a certain comment online and people have a respectful conversation with that person, but if a woman posts the same comment the response is “ok Karen”. It sends the message that what the person is saying isn’t worth even discussing because they are just a silly woman. Also I feel badly for anyone named Karen.

That's what kind of bothers me about it as well; one more way to put down a woman who asserts herself. (Not that the stereotypical way that "this" woman asserts herself is good; being entitled and obnoxious never is.) I'll admit, though, that I'm not above needling my husband by calling him "Cliffie" when he starts to expound endlessly on some trivial topic. (And yeah, if you recognize that reference you're probably of a certain age -- or really like TV reruns.)

I think the reason that so many people are always ready adopt tropes like these is that we all seem to have some name association that gets under our skin, usually from childhood. How many times have you heard an about-to-be parent talking about a name that a spouse wants, that he or she cannot stand because "I knew someone with that name in grade school, and he/she made my life a living hell!" (FWIW, my trigger name is "Claire")

It doesn't bother me, I only wish a different name was used. Although, in my experience it's not limited to be used on only white women.

That's what kind of bothers me about it as well; one more way to put down a woman who asserts herself. (Not that the stereotypical way that "this" woman asserts herself is good; being entitled and obnoxious never is.) I'll admit, though, that I'm not above needling my husband by calling him "Cliffie" when he starts to expound endlessly on some trivial topic. (And yeah, if you recognize that reference you're probably of a certain age -- or really like TV reruns.)

I think the reason that so many people are always ready adopt tropes like these is that we all seem to have some name association that gets under our skin, usually from childhood. How many times have you heard an about-to-be parent talking about a name that a spouse wants, that he or she cannot stand because "I knew someone with that name in grade school, and he/she made my life a living hell!" (FWIW, my trigger name is "Claire")

yes! I agree with both points, about how name associations happen, and also that being entitled and obnoxious is awful. Where I see the Karen thing being overused lately is when a woman says something on a public forum like “I think we should wear masks to protect others” and someone responds with “ok Karen”. Totally not necessary in that context, and also just seems like a lazy response that sends the message “I have nothing thoughtful to say in reply, I just want you to shut up, and this will get everyone to laugh and agree with me because it’s always funny making fun of women who have opinions”. (There are other situations when Karen is used to describe an entitled woman, and I agree the entitlement is awful. So I get why the behavior is called out in those circumstances, but I do wish they wouldn’t use a woman’s name for it, because I feel bad for the people I know who are actually named Karen and aren’t like that)

I don't know enough about it to know why the name Karen is the one that ended up being used, but going by the description of a "Karen", the name should probably be "Kate" since it reminds me exactly of Kate Gosselin.

hey now! Be nice to the Kates of the world! I think we just need a neutral term that doesn’t stereotype people with a certain name as all being the same way ;)

You're obviously not reading the same things I am on twitter.

I guess not, but if it's just on twitter, it's certainly not as widespread as Karen, which is used everywhere (including the Disboards apparently).

I guess not, but if it's just on twitter, it's certainly not as widespread as Karen, which is used everywhere (including the Disboards apparently).

I haven't obviously been reading those areas of twitter either, but Karen is also all over Reddit and while it gets pointed out that there is a male-equivalent, it almost never gets used.

there are perfectly good non-gendered terms to chastise somebody for their entitlement. It does feel a bit like Karen is used to shame middle aged women for daring to have an opinion and being older. It’s like a “you don’t have the social currency to stand up for yourself anymore”

I’ll also say, I’ve never heard Becky used to refer to a younger age group either. They’re usually just called *******s

In the movie Office Christmas Party, they made fun of the name Carol. We actually use that in our house, my SIL is a Carol.

hey now! Be nice to the Kates of the world! I think we just need a neutral term that doesn’t stereotype people with a certain name as all being the same way ;)

LOL, I actually do feel sorry for the people who happen to have the names that get dragged through these stupid memes. Fortunately people have short attention spans so this too shall pass.

Slightly off topic, but I still feel sorry for the people named Katrina. It was one of my favorite names, a name that I was considering for a future (theoretical) child, but then the hurricane happened. :( Even to this day, 15 years later I'll bet most people when they hear the name Katrina still think 'hurricane'.

Ehh, Karens don't just have opinions. Most people applaud others for standing up for themselves in situations that warrant it. Karens tend to do it in a way that represent themselves poorly and with the goal to make other people feel less than. In more extreme examples, they feel like they have the right to negatively impact other people because they personally don't like something.

I've never heard Kyle and I am on Twitter... a lot.

LOL, I actually do feel sorry for the people who happen to have the names that get dragged through these stupid memes. Fortunately people have short attention spans so this too shall pass.

Slightly off topic, but I still feel sorry for the people named Katrina. It was one of my favorite names, a name that I was considering for a future (theoretical) child, but then the hurricane happened. :( Even to this day, 15 years later I'll bet most people when they hear the name Katrina still think 'hurricane'.

yes, our dental hygienist had a daughter named Katrina just a year or two before hurricane Katrina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!