Who else hates the term “Karen”

I think most will agree with that, but I think OP's point was that calling them a "Karen" is giving people actually named Karen a bad rap, which is unfair. I would hope most people are astute enough to realize that just because someone's name is Karen doesn't inherently make them a "Karen".
I guess, but also, it's a joke. As someone named Kevin, I can tell you that if there's a guy named Kevin in a movie, you're probably watching a romantic comedy. Kevin is the "safe" guy the woman is dating at the beginning of the movie whom she eventually leaves for the cool-guy/badboy at the end. It doesn't exactly cause me to lose sleep. We use these names as short-hand for certain behavior, most people don't get too bothered by it. And if you do, you're being a total Karen.

You are so right -
Never, ever have I been happier to never have been on Facebook, Instagram , or any other social media!
This and another Disney board are all I participate in, and you are correct - even these can be to much. Honestly.

Yes, stay away if you know what's good for you! Human beings come with too much baggage, and that makes things invariably unpleasant lol!! :-)

I guess, but also, it's a joke. As someone named Kevin, I can tell you that if there's a guy named Kevin in a movie, you're probably watching a romantic comedy. Kevin is the "safe" guy the woman is dating at the beginning of the movie whom she eventually leaves for the cool-guy/badboy at the end. It doesn't exactly cause me to lose sleep. We use these names as short-hand for certain behavior, most people don't get too bothered by it. And if you do, you're being a total Karen.
Did you mean to quote my post? I understand and agree... I was clarifying to the poster I quoted what the OP's problem with the phrase is - that its unfair to people named Karen. My position is that most people should realize it has nothing to do with people actually named Karen.

Yes, stay away if you know what's good for you! Human beings come with too much baggage, and that makes things invariably unpleasant lol!! :-)

I have. And luckily I have humans w/o much baggage in my non social media life, which makes things a lot more pleasant:)

Did you mean to quote my post? I understand and agree... I was clarifying to the poster I quoted what the OP's problem with the phrase is - that its unfair to people named Karen. My position is that most people should realize it has nothing to do with people actually named Karen.
Got it, yeah, I was agreeing with you. I was mostly talking about OP's point that you referenced.

Karen, Kyle, Becky, whatever name it is... its just that... a name... and as my grandmother always said " This to shall pass"

Never thought about it that way, and my brother-in-law is a Kevin! Rest assured that we all know these assignations don't apply to everyone with that name!

I didn't have a problem with it until after I first saw this thread and then it seemed like the term exploded even more than it had before.

You’ve misunderstood. My post that you quoted was saying that the name Karen is a common middle aged white woman’s name and that’s just a fact - not good or bad, it just is. That’s why the name was used for this slang, not because all people named Karen are bad.

Ok, I see now what you meant. Yes, I get why Karen was chosen as a representative of that demographic.

I think most will agree with that, but I think OP's point was that calling them a "Karen" is giving people actually named Karen a bad rap, which is unfair. I would hope most people are astute enough to realize that just because someone's name is Karen doesn't inherently make them a "Karen".

Yes, it is unfair. It would bother me less if a generic term was used rather than a specific name. However, it still conveys sexism to me, because I feel women are judged differently than men on the same type of behavior. And it seems older women especially, are often marginalized in society. JMHO.

I’ve never heard Kevin or any other male name used for this type of person, but I’d be against that as well. You can brush it off as a joke, but really it’s mean-spirited and childish name-calling.

Oh my goodness...
I've been seeing this descriptor more and more lately in all kinds of places and it puts me off no end! I can't stand hearing any kind of stereotyping of people, and it also sounds incredibly sexist. Plus, I've known so many really nice Karens in my life. My best friend in grade school!
Put this one in the dust bin and forget about it!

Ok, I see now what you meant. Yes, I get why Karen was chosen as a representative of that demographic.

Yes, it is unfair. It would bother me less if a generic term was used rather than a specific name. However, it still conveys sexism to me, because I feel women are judged differently than men on the same type of behavior. And it seems older women especially, are often marginalized in society. JMHO.

I’ve never heard Kevin or any other male name used for this type of person, but I’d be against that as well. You can brush it off as a joke, but really it’s mean-spirited and childish name-calling.

They are not Kevins - they are actually called Darrens. The male version of Karen.

However, it still conveys sexism to me, because I feel women are judged differently than men on the same type of behavior. And it seems older women especially, are often marginalized in society. JMHO.

Ehh… its just a joke. Its no secret that women are more emotionally charged than men. I feel like I see more women asking to speak to the manager or making mountains out of molehills than men do, and I say that as a woman. Perhaps the focus should be placed more on the entitlement attitudes that "Karens" have, rather than the people who are calling them out on it, because that's where the issue starts.

I can’t stand hearing the term “Karen“ either. It is stereotyping and bullying that has become acceptable.
People often say the term "bullying" is used too loosely nowadays, and I think this is a good example. I don't think I've seen someone call a person a "Karen" in a seriously nasty way - 98% of the time its said by a laughing millennial. Frankly, if someone ever called me a Karen, it wouldn't even phase me. Its better than making a comment about my appearance or calling me a B or C word. Also, people are not going around calling people "Karen" for no reason - its usually some off-putting behavior by the person that results in the "Karen" name calling. Are there better or more mature ways to call the poor behavior out? Certainly. But it is what it is, and its best not to take it too seriously.

Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman. Especially as featured in memes, Karen is generally stereotyped as having a blonde bob haircut, asking to speak to retail and restaurant managers to voice complaints or make demands, and being a nagging, often divorced mother from Generation X.

Every time I hear it I cringe so much. I absolutely hate it. Add to that all the Karens I know are nothing like this

This is a very “Karen” thread. Would you like to speak to the manager? 😉

(Kidding...I couldn’t resist.)

Shows what having kids and not really being a “live online reading memes” person can do to you.... when I read the thread title, first thing that came to my mind was Plankton’s computer wife in Spongebob.
F1CB7147-024C-4E1E-9C63-977E53D24614.jpeg

I can’t stand hearing the term “Karen“ either. It is stereotyping and bullying that has become acceptable.

So I guess the women caught on video flipping people off and cussing up a storm are being bullied as well? Because the term "Karen" isn't exclusive to people who go into stores anymore.

What I'd like to know is if Karen will demand to speak to the manager because you didn't put your grocery cart in the cart corral. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!