Who else hates the term “Karen”

MamaLema

DIS Veteran
Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman. Especially as featured in memes, Karen is generally stereotyped as having a blonde bob haircut, asking to speak to retail and restaurant managers to voice complaints or make demands, and being a nagging, often divorced mother from Generation X.

Every time I hear it I cringe so much. I absolutely hate it. Add to that all the Karens I know are nothing like this

Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman. Especially as featured in memes, Karen is generally stereotyped as having a blonde bob haircut, asking to speak to retail and restaurant managers to voice complaints or make demands, and being a nagging, often divorced mother from Generation X.

Every time I hear it I cringe so much. I absolutely hate it. Add to that all the Karens I know are nothing like this
And she looks remarkably like Kate Gosselin.

I'm just glad my name isn't Karen.

It's an obnoxious stereotype used by people who love to jump to conclusions about people.

Doesn't bother me; takes away hopefully from me being called "Miss Kitty" or "How's Matt?" or "here kitty kitty kitty", etc. :teeth:

It annoys me too, mostly because it’s only used on women. I’ve seen men post a certain comment online and people have a respectful conversation with that person, but if a woman posts the same comment the response is “ok Karen”. It sends the message that what the person is saying isn’t worth even discussing because they are just a silly woman. Also I feel badly for anyone named Karen.

It annoys me too, mostly because it’s only used on women. I’ve seen men post a certain comment online and people have a respectful conversation with that person, but if a woman posts the same comment the response is “ok Karen”. It sends the message that what the person is saying isn’t worth even discussing because they are just a silly woman. Also I feel badly for anyone named Karen.
I agree. It's very dismissive.

You must not be on twitter. I've seen plenty of "ok Kyle" responses to men.

Yep. My name is Karen. My husband and I were just talking about it last night. It wasn’t a big deal when I first heard of my name being used in that way but as a PP said, it is getting old. I don’t feel like I am anything like what is said about Karens. I am very much non-confrontational so I would never be in the news for being a “Karen”. :upsidedow

Like any trend once it reaches mainstream status its time has passed.
Yes, I don't think it will last too long so it shouldn't be an issue long-term for anyone named Karen.

Ironically, my DH has a coworker who is completely incompetent and has been the source of daily frustration. So for the last few years we have had countless conversations revolving around a "Karen" issue of the day and have even used the term "okay, Karen" jokingly with our family and friends (DD21 also works with them).

Used to be Becky. Maybe you'd prefer that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!